GDT: 11/14/14 - Game 14 - Islanders VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
If our offense doesn't improve by the season's end I would do something drastic to acquire the number one overall. I would honestly offer Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Barkov and our 2015 1st for essentially McDavid. Kid is that good. He's worth as much as if not more than our 2010, 2011 and 2013 1st rounders combined.

Our center depth would be

McDavid
Bolland (still under contract)
Pirri
Trocheck

We got the depth to do it. We need a star as badly as the 2008 Islanders needed a star and drafted Tavares over potentially the next Chris Pronger.

Also, Roberto Luongo disguises how bad this team really is.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If our offense doesn't improve by the season's end I would do something drastic to acquire the number one overall. I would honestly offer Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Barkov and our 2015 1st for essentially McDavid. Kid is that good. He's worth as much as if not more than our 2010, 2011 and 2013 1st rounders combined.

Our center depth would be

McDavid
Bolland (still under contract)
Pirri
Trocheck

We got the depth to do it. We need a star as badly as the 2008 Islanders needed a star and drafted Tavares over potentially the next Chris Pronger.

I don't see any team trading away the pick. But I wouldn't be against this.

Rockaway Rob

Jun 30, 2007
Yup that's what I was doing comparing one of the greatest dynasties of all time to the present panthers.

Please.

I'm making the same point RR Is making.

There's nothing wrong with your goalie being your best player.

No cup team could do it without stellar goaltending.

And smith was a stellar goaltender.

I was an Isles fan in the 70's/early 80's and the best player on those teams was not Billy Smith. IMO the best player on those teams was Mike Bossy.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
One positive is that our offense seems to finally be clicking. Trocheck is such an underrated player in our system. He made another great pass to Ekblad to tie the game up. The kid is obviously on the smaller side, but he is never afraid to get dirty, is fairly strong on the puck for his size, and has fantastic vision which I think is his best asset.

He reminds me a lot of Patrice Bergeron out there. Not the biggest guy but deceptively fast and a great playmaker. His shot could use a bit of work but Tro is really special. Right now he is outplaying Bjugstad and Barkov by a mile. Hayes has impressed as well.

Tonight the Panthers did what the 2011-12 Panthers did. Never gave up. The reason we had so many OT/SO losses in 2012 was because very often we would storm back in the 3rd period and tie it up. This is a great sign because it shows that these guys believe in themselves. Maybe the talent isn't there completely, but the heart is really starting to show.

I don't think they're gonna send Trochek back down... George Richards said that Trochek continues to make a case for himself. Apparently some of the injured guys are ready to come back already. If the Cats can't afford to send Trochek down, who's getting benched/traded?

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I was an Isles fan in the 70's/early 80's and the best player on those teams was not Billy Smith. IMO the best player on those teams was Mike Bossy.

Cant argue with that at all.

Its a tough debate cause they had soooo much talent. Bossy? Potvin? Smith? Gilles? Which one do you take out and they dont do what they did.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Is it just my imagination or is Hayes faster than he was last year? For a big guy that dude can fly. He's one of my favorite players right now.

I think Barkov is going to come around soon. He's actually beginning to attack the net and shoot the puck. That play where the puck got stuck on Halaks shoulder was a hungry power move from Barky. I think Guddy is looking solid. He's not gonna score much but he's sweeping pucks and banging bodies in front of Lou and looks steady out there. Ekblad continues to impress the **** outta me. Really need a sniper. I get so happy when we score I want that in my life more often. Hopefully we can draft a good sniper and still make the playoffs.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I don't think they're gonna send Trochek back down... George Richards said that Trochek continues to make a case for himself. Apparently some of the injured guys are ready to come back already. If the Cats can't afford to send Trochek down, who's getting benched/traded?
We've been moaning about the lack of depth in the AHL for years and now that we finally have that, the veterans should be traded?

One more year in the AHL won't hurt Trocheck, he'll (among with Howden and Shore, possibly Grimaldi) get his place when the veterans leave next offseason.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Is it just my imagination or is Hayes faster than he was last year? For a big guy that dude can fly. He's one of my favorite players right now.

I think Barkov is going to come around soon. He's actually beginning to attack the net and shoot the puck. That play where the puck got stuck on Halaks shoulder was a hungry power move from Barky. I think Guddy is looking solid. He's not gonna score much but he's sweeping pucks and banging bodies in front of Lou and looks steady out there. Ekblad continues to impress the **** outta me. Really need a sniper. I get so happy when we score I want that in my life more often. Hopefully we can draft a good sniper and still make the playoffs.

Hayes is pretty entertaining to watch. Was a big favourite of him last year as well. Didn't like it that Gallant scratched him at the start of the season and he should know it better at this point of the season..
Hayes is Huberdeau in big. He is finding ways to get to the front of the net (Trocheck making great passes!) and puts it actually into the net

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We've been moaning about the lack of depth in the AHL for years and now that we finally have that, the veterans should be traded?

One more year in the AHL won't hurt Trocheck, he'll (among with Howden and Shore, possibly Grimaldi) get his place when the veterans leave next offseason.

Soups if the kid outplays the vet, then he should stay. Its the vet job to give him the competition and if flash etal are being outplayed by trochek then its to their detriment.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Soups if the kid outplays the vet, then he should stay. Its the vet job to give him the competition and if flash etal are being outplayed by trochek then its to their detriment.

Flash has been godawful...No way Trocheck was not better than Flash. Trocheck should be here to stay and only make room for guys like Pirri or Bolland (meh)

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
For the past two seasons of watching Huberdeau, I actually have no idea what his game is. What does he excel in? His shot is obviously below average since his goal production is poo. He's a good passer, but its the NHL...Goc is a good passer, there are lots of good passers. He doesn't retain the puck well in the zone due to his small size and tendency to puckhandle in bad situations which causes turnovers. Overall i just dont know how this guy won ROTY. Did the stars align and he just got extremely lucky with his points?

If Huberdeau ends the season with below 35pts again, which is looking like it might happen, I will be extremely disappointed and wont hesitate to give this kid BUST status.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
For the past two seasons of watching Huberdeau, I actually have no idea what his game is. What does he excel in? His shot is obviously below average since his goal production is poo. He's a good passer, but its the NHL...Goc is a good passer, there are lots of good passers. He doesn't retain the puck well in the zone due to his small size and tendency to puckhandle in bad situations which causes turnovers. Overall i just dont know how this guy won ROTY. Did the stars align and he just got extremely lucky with his points?

If Huberdeau ends the season with below 35pts again, which is looking like it might happen, I will be extremely disappointed and wont hesitate to give this kid BUST status.

I don't know, but I said this on another thread:

Does anyone here read the Litterbox forum? There is an argument there that using Corsi, Hubs has been playing well. Personally, I think 2 points in 11 games is not good no matter what corsi is saying.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

I hear you. For me it's been hard to watch. Somewhere along the line he must have gotten an injury that was worse than we were told. He looks like a completely different player to me. He looks like he's skating in mud. I watch video of his rookie season and he was going around and stick handling through guys.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's hard to compare whether Trocheck has outplayed Bolland or not, since Bolland has only played 4 games during a period when the entire team underachieved and struggled offensively.

Fleischmann is currently playing on the 4th line. I'd rather have Trocheck in the minors playing big minutes as a center, than play him with Thornton and Mac. I highly doubt Gallant would start experimenting Trocheck as a winger in the middle of the season.

Also there's a few line-up changes that are due, Kopecky will get bumped down back to the 4th line when Pirri gets back, leaving Flash in no man's land.

At the end of the day, someone has to be scratched or sent down, and Trocheck is one of the few guys on a 2-way deal that doesn't have to go through waivers.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

Joe Thornton is also a bust. As is Ryan Johansen. As is 4th in the NHL in scoring Phil Kessel. As is 2nd in the NHL in scoring Jakub Voracek.

Well, maybe they aren't busts but based on your argument you'd have no problem hesitating to call them that. Patience.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Joe Thornton is also a bust. As is Ryan Johansen. As is 4th in the NHL in scoring Phil Kessel. As is 2nd in the NHL in scoring Jakub Voracek.

Well, maybe they aren't busts but based on your argument you'd have no problem hesitating to call them that. Patience.

Just curious. How long would you give a player like Huberdeau befor you'd start exploring other options if you had DT's job?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Just curious. How long would you give a player like Huberdeau befor you'd start exploring other options if you had DT's job?

he needs a few goals, he's getting absolutely no breaks, he also have no chemistry with anyone and he feels forced onto the top 2 lines

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Olli Jokinen was also a late bloomer. I know it happens. The problem with these type of players is usually realizing when they need a change of scenery. If Kessel, Voracek, Seguin, Jokinen didn't get moved would they still have become the players they became?

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
he needs a few goals, he's getting absolutely no breaks, he also have no chemistry with anyone and he feels forced onto the top 2 lines

I agree. He looks uncomfortable and very out of place on this team to me. I'm a cats fan through and through so I'm rooting for him to put it together but I'd be crazy not to be a little bit worried for him.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
It's also tough to watch kids that are performing well with much less of a chance and ice time when called up just to be sent back down again. Next season I'd like to see a younger team all around.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

It depends on outside factors. Do we want a Nino Niederreiter situation? Traded after 3 seasons following his draft (which would be now for Huberdeau) for scraps after he pt up 3 points in 64 games with the Islanders. He proceeded to score 36 in 81 the next season and 6 in 13 in the playoffs.

What about Johansen? From 12 points in 40 to 63 in 83 in his fourth season out of his draft.

We've seen his talent. We know he can succeed. His numbers right now are extremely unsustainable and will improve. As others are saying he is a great possession player which is always very important in the NHL. He draws penalties and was one of the better players in the league last season in that regard. All in all he is doing good things for the team but isn't getting any bounces or help right now. Give it time. He hasn't played 70 games in a season yet.

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
do we think this is a confidence thing with hubs? Does he have to much pressure on him right now? He put the puck in the net in the shootout maybe that will get him going.. Jimmy Hayes has been our best forward, and Vinny as been great as well.. Last night I was at the game, very disappointed with the attendance for a Friday night. Even though the crowd was small the fans were still loud so kudos to everyone who was there last night. This team played pretty bad for most of the game last night. Should be happy with a point. Why the hell did Gallant use Jussi???:( Overall I was very impressed with the ARENA experience compared to last year. No stupid puck stacking games every TV timeout and did they get rid of that DJ from last year as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad