GDT: 11/14/14 - Game 14 - Islanders VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Ya. A change of scenery. Which does more wonders than one would think.

It has nothing to do with that. It's about letting these guys develop properly and in the right situation. These guys have the skills it takes time for them to put them together. All young players go through growing pains.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Man. Small crowd but so much better atmosphere. No more fay drunk chick screaming that's she's only here because it's free. Glad they cut down on t hose stupid in game contest.

Compared to last year *

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
It has nothing to do with that. It's about letting these guys develop properly and in the right situation. These guys have the skills it takes time for them to put them together. All young players go through growing pains.

We have nothing but play makers. Just give me one selfish sniper. That's all that's on my Christmas list.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
One positive is that our offense seems to finally be clicking. Trocheck is such an underrated player in our system. He made another great pass to Ekblad to tie the game up. The kid is obviously on the smaller side, but he is never afraid to get dirty, is fairly strong on the puck for his size, and has fantastic vision which I think is his best asset.

He reminds me a lot of Patrice Bergeron out there. Not the biggest guy but deceptively fast and a great playmaker. His shot could use a bit of work but Tro is really special. Right now he is outplaying Bjugstad and Barkov by a mile. Hayes has impressed as well.

Tonight the Panthers did what the 2011-12 Panthers did. Never gave up. The reason we had so many OT/SO losses in 2012 was because very often we would storm back in the 3rd period and tie it up. This is a great sign because it shows that these guys believe in themselves. Maybe the talent isn't there completely, but the heart is really starting to show.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
We have nothing but play makers. Just give me one selfish sniper. That's all that's on my Christmas list.

This is what screws up our PP. Nobody is willing to take that big blast, and when they are, they screw it up (ala Jokinen in OT).

In overtime we had Campbell, Huberdeau, Boyes and Jokinen on the ice. Jokinen I understand and Campbell I understand (although I would have went with Ekblad but whatever). After that, wtf are we doing out there? I know Boyes is only out there because he's the closest thing we have to an actual "sniper", but Huberdeau has no business being there right now.

I would have done Joker, Ekblad, Bjugstad and Hayes. Interchange between Bjugs and Joker being on the half boards, Ekblad in the middle QBing the whole thing and Hayes sitting in front causing havoc. The moment you put a man in front of the net on the powerplay (specifically a 4-on-3), you create a huge headache for the two d-men and the goaltender. They get distracted and preoccupied with the guy in front and in turn, losing focus on the puck. Bjugstad has a big shot and Joker is a great playmaker. Ekblad can shoot it and Hayes makes a living in front of the net.

Our PP needs to get clicking or else we won't gain any traction this season. We had the game won tonight with that gift of a PP in OT and we blew it.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
We would be, at best, the second worst team in hockey without Luongo, and that's only because Buffalo is an absolute joke.

Honestly, I agree with you most of the time, but I can't agree with this.

Luongo has been great this season, he really has. But he's playing like an elite-level goaltender should. He faced 34 shots tonight against a very strong Islanders offense. Yes he had to make a couple of great saves, but so does every other goaltender in the NHL on a nightly basis.

Watch Quick in LA, or Rask in Boston, or Price in Montreal. Each one of them makes 3-4 spectacular stops a night, helping their teams win. It's what is expected of NHL goaltenders in today's game.

I think it's just that our goaltending was so awful over the last couple of seasons that we are not use to this sort of talent between the pipes. Like I said, Luongo has been incredible, but I don't think we'd be too far off with someone like Halak or Hiller in net for us. Markstrom and co. were terribad last year.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
This is what screws up our PP. Nobody is willing to take that big blast, and when they are, they screw it up (ala Jokinen in OT).

In overtime we had Campbell, Huberdeau, Boyes and Jokinen on the ice. Jokinen I understand and Campbell I understand (although I would have went with Ekblad but whatever). After that, wtf are we doing out there? I know Boyes is only out there because he's the closest thing we have to an actual "sniper", but Huberdeau has no business being there right now.

I would have done Joker, Ekblad, Bjugstad and Hayes. Interchange between Bjugs and Joker being on the half boards, Ekblad in the middle QBing the whole thing and Hayes sitting in front causing havoc. The moment you put a man in front of the net on the powerplay (specifically a 4-on-3), you create a huge headache for the two d-men and the goaltender. They get distracted and preoccupied with the guy in front and in turn, losing focus on the puck. Bjugstad has a big shot and Joker is a great playmaker. Ekblad can shoot it and Hayes makes a living in front of the net.

Our PP needs to get clicking or else we won't gain any traction this season. We had the game won tonight with that gift of a PP in OT and we blew it.

I would have put all of our youth out there on the PP. I would have went with Hayes, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, and Ekblad. Heck, sub Barky for Hayes, and let he roam around the net. Ill take the point, because I thought it was over with, but damn, we should have won the game on the PP in OT.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
Good game last night, I was really impressed by the speed and tenacity of this young Florida team. Your current record is very deceiving being you now have 5 OT points that could have gone either way, it clearly shows that this team battles to the very end.

Bright future ahead for you guys, good luck going forward.....

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
They got to be more creative on the power play, in terms of players.
Throw Bjugstad on Barkov left wing. I think a Bjugstad - Barkov - Hayes line could be decent. Hayes to screen the goalie, Barkov with the vision and Bjugstad on the left side to receive a one timer.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We would be, at best, the second worst team in hockey without Luongo, and that's only because Buffalo is an absolute joke.

Of course!

True for any good team! Nowhere without their goalie!

What your missing though is luongo would not look this good without the solid core.

We all know the lack of sniper is holding us back.

ATF brought out an alarming stat... We are 1-5 in OT.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Good game last night, I was really impressed by the speed and tenacity of this young Florida team. Your current record is very deceiving being you now have 5 OT points that could have gone either way, it clearly shows that this team battles to the very end.

Bright future ahead for you guys, good luck going forward.....

Thanks for the kind words!

I hate to admit it...

No really hate to admit it..

But you guys looked good as well.

Cheers.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
They got to be more creative on the power play, in terms of players.
Throw Bjugstad on Barkov left wing. I think a Bjugstad - Barkov - Hayes line could be decent. Hayes to screen the goalie, Barkov with the vision and Bjugstad on the left side to receive a one timer.

Or be more creative on the power play in general. They tried that one play -- that won the game in Colorado -- and got off a good shot. But then after that they looked lost. Try drawing up and practicing two or three more designed plays.

-ghoste

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

I disagree about where we would be in the standings but that's irrelevant. You're allowed to rely on team strengths to win games/collect points. Every team ever that has won the cup has done so because of great goaltending. It's the most important position in hockey for a reason.

Also, a lot of other teams would drop in the standings if they downgraded their goalie.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think we need to be more creative on the powerplay to improve it. We really need to work on winning more faceoffs in the offensive zone and setting it up more quickly. We also need to have at least one guy in front of the net.

We need to outwork the PK'ers and get the puck on net. One of those is something we struggle with every game.

FWIW, the special teams have shown some improvement. 79% PK and 14% PP. If we can get that total to break 100 we will make the playoffs.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
When one of the best defenseman I've ever seen play the game in Denis Potvin says on most nights that Lu is carrying this team, I tend to believe him. We all see things differently I guess.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I'm waiting for them to turn the corner from being hard to play against to being a good hockey team. Hopefully that happens this season.

BravePackCats27

Jun 19, 2014

Couldn't agree with you more! When I saw who Gallant had on the ice I said WTF is he doing? Get the big bodies out there like Bjugs and Hayes and clear space or screen the goalie and fire away. Bjugs has one of the best shots on the team and he's on the bench on a 4 on 3 in OT. Terrible strategy on Gallant as we could've won it there but still nice to see them get another point after being down 3-1.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
You can't even begin to compare this bottom dwelling squad to that isles team. Well, maybe a Rags Fan could. :sarcasm:

Yup that's what I was doing comparing one of the greatest dynasties of all time to the present panthers.

Please.

I'm making the same point RR Is making.

There's nothing wrong with your goalie being your best player.

No cup team could do it without stellar goaltending.

And smith was a stellar goaltender.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I do like the way the defense is coming together. Last night they were pretty bad but they've been a ton better than in past years. The only player that really worries me is Huberdeau. He looks bad in every area of his game other than kicking the puck along the boards and the shoutout. If I had a decision to make right now about which player to keep between him and Trocheck, it wouldn't even be close. Seeya Johnny. As more "hard working" vets contracts expire and kids like Howden take their place, I believe we'll start to see more short handed chances with speed like the isles had last night making this a much better team.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Yup that's what I was doing comparing one of the greatest dynasties of all time to the present panthers.

Please.

I'm making the same point RR Is making.

There's nothing wrong with your goalie being your best player.

No cup team could do it without stellar goaltending.

And smith was a stellar goaltender.

Lu can be the best player. He can't be bailing them out at every turn if they expect to challenge for a playoff spot. If they have no expectations then fine. Watch Lu stand on his head for cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad