GDT: 11/14/14 - Game 14 - Islanders VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
i'd like to see huby-vinny-hayes, i think that could work, give some1 else a chance with bjugs. i feel like trochecks playmaking can serve him very well

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Bjugstad's linemates rarely put up good numbers in large part because Bjugstad is just a little too selfish. He doesn't use his linemates well at all. Just look at Brad Boyes. Had 6 points in his first 10 games. Now he's on Bjugstad's wing, hasn't scored in 4 games. I know it didn't work that well for all 5 or so games that we may have tried it but try Huberdeau with Barkov.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bjugstad's linemates rarely put up good numbers in large part because Bjugstad is just a little too selfish. He doesn't use his linemates well at all. Just look at Brad Boyes. Had 6 points in his first 10 games. Now he's on Bjugstad's wing, hasn't scored in 4 games. I know it didn't work that well for all 5 or so games that we may have tried it but try Huberdeau with Barkov.
Barkov and Trocheck changed lines for one shift in the first period and Barkov & JJ looked surprisingly good together. That was the shift where the puck stayed in the Isles end for like a minute and they couldn't clear it at all.

IMO that had a lot to do with Hayes playing on that line, Boyes just doesn't battle for the puck and go to the dirty areas like Hayes does. So if Gallant is trying Huby again with Barkov, there has to someone like Upshall, Hayes or Bergenheim as the third wheel to bring energy.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014

hubey - barkov - pirri? the problem is that barkov obviously needs at least one winger with a lot of grit. we'll see tho.
bjugstad can play all by himself :sarcasm: slot whoever with him.

mabye a hubey - vinny - hayes line would be something btw?

edit: oh, just saw that gudzilla posted this. sry mane :)

Last edited:

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
It depends on outside factors. Do we want a Nino Niederreiter situation? Traded after 3 seasons following his draft (which would be now for Huberdeau) for scraps after he pt up 3 points in 64 games with the Islanders. He proceeded to score 36 in 81 the next season and 6 in 13 in the playoffs.

What about Johansen? From 12 points in 40 to 63 in 83 in his fourth season out of his draft.

We've seen his talent. We know he can succeed. His numbers right now are extremely unsustainable and will improve. As others are saying he is a great possession player which is always very important in the NHL. He draws penalties and was one of the better players in the league last season in that regard. All in all he is doing good things for the team but isn't getting any bounces or help right now. Give it time. He hasn't played 70 games in a season yet.

I have nothing but time to give. I'm a fan. It's up to the coaching staff to put him in the right system and situations to succeed if Huby isn't just a flat out bust. What I'm not a fan of is drafting a great player at the top of his draft who's clearly a circle and trying to make him a square. That works for established franchises with hall of fame players and coaches at the helm like the New England Patriots, Miami Heat, but not so much with building a team. I hope Huberdeau can find his way here. Unlike Johansen who's stats trended upwards, Huby's are trending down which is alarming. You are right about Nino. He voiced his opinion and wanted a trade to another team and system and it happened to fit his style better. He's not a different player. Same guy, different circumstances. Unfortunately the Isles got the shaft for their lack of vision.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Barkov and Trocheck changed lines for one shift in the first period and Barkov & JJ looked surprisingly good together. That was the shift where the puck stayed in the Isles end for like a minute and they couldn't clear it at all.

IMO that had a lot to do with Hayes playing on that line, Boyes just doesn't battle for the puck and go to the dirty areas like Hayes does. So if Gallant is trying Huby again with Barkov, there has to someone like Upshall, Hayes or Bergenheim as the third wheel to bring energy.

hubey - barkov - pirri? the problem is that barkov obviously needs at least one winger with a lot of grit. we'll see tho.
bjugstad can play all by himself :sarcasm: slot whoever with him.

mabye a hubey - vinny - hayes line would be something btw?

Agree 100% about the third piece to that line. Huberdeau and Barkov are both good possession players once we win possession in the zone. They may work together they may not but neither player's offensive production can get much worse right now so playing them together couldn't possibly hurt our scoring as a team. Just a thought. I don't think the current lines are working very well despite the recent increase in scoring. We're getting a lot of scoring from our D and lower lines like Trocheck's. Neither Barkov's nor Bjugstad's lines are doing enough.

I have nothing but time to give. I'm a fan. It's up to the coaching staff to put him in the right system and situations to succeed if Huby isn't just a flat out bust. What I'm not a fan of is drafting a great player at the top of his draft who's clearly a circle and trying to make him a square. That works for established franchises with hall of fame players and coaches at the helm like the New England Patriots, Miami Heat, but not so much with building a team. I hope Huberdeau can find his way here. Unlike Johansen who's stats trended upwards, Huby's are trending down which is alarming. You are right about Nino. He voiced his opinion and wanted a trade to another team and system and it happened to fit his style better. He's not a different player. Same guy, different circumstances. Unfortunately the Isles got the shaft for their lack of vision.

Agree for the most part. All I'm saying is combining last season with this one he's played one full bad season in which he still scored more than 30 points. It's not too big of a jump for him to start playing at a 40 or 50 point pace and maybe even improve some more from there. I don't like the change of scenery idea at this point because what we would get in return would be a lot less than what he can still do.

He has the skill, no denying that, he just needs to put it together. His style of play right now isn't working. Offensively, I think he's playing too much of a junior game, often trying to take on defenders 1 on 1 and often failing at that. He thinks he can still out skill everyone on the ice and he can't. Will it work once in a while? Yeah. But it isn't a solid way to attack as often as he does.

Second, he's focusing a lot on defense right now. He mentioned it in his intermission interview yesterday saying as long as he focuses on defense the offense will come. That mentality is coming straight from the top (Gallant). The mentality of this team is to try to win games 2-1. There was even a quote earlier this year from Mitchell where he said something along the lines of winning games 2-1 is how you win cups. That style of play isn't going to make anyone on our team look good offensively, especially Huberdeau. I'd like to see him with less defensive responsibility for now in order to jump start him. How many penalty shots and breakaways did he have in his 48 games of the Calder season? Has he had any since? I'm not saying pull a Bure or Ovechkin here but have him start to leak out a little once in a while. Take some chances. You could tell Dineen's system or lack there of was great for him. He's also a lot less athletic right now which is something we all know that I won't rehash. Oh and he needs to fight for more of those garbage goals like his rookie year again. Not enough of that lately.

In summary. He has the skill he has to figure out how to put it together again.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Agree 100% about the third piece to that line. Huberdeau and Barkov are both good possession players once we win possession in the zone. They may work together they may not but neither player's offensive production can get much worse right now so playing them together couldn't possibly hurt our scoring as a team. Just a thought. I don't think the current lines are working very well despite the recent increase in scoring. We're getting a lot of scoring from our D and lower lines like Trocheck's. Neither Barkov's nor Bjugstad's lines are doing enough.

Agree for the most part. All I'm saying is combining last season with this one he's played one full bad season in which he still scored more than 30 points. It's not too big of a jump for him to start playing at a 40 or 50 point pace and maybe even improve some more from there. I don't like the change of scenery idea at this point because what we would get in return would be a lot less than what he can still do.

He has the skill, no denying that, he just needs to put it together. His style of play right now isn't working. Offensively, I think he's playing too much of a junior game, often trying to take on defenders 1 on 1 and often failing at that. He thinks he can still out skill everyone on the ice and he can't. Will it work once in a while? Yeah. But it isn't a solid way to attack as often as he does.

Second, he's focusing a lot on defense right now. He mentioned it in his intermission interview yesterday saying as long as he focuses on defense the offense will come. That mentality is coming straight from the top (Gallant). The mentality of this team is to try to win games 2-1. There was even a quote earlier this year from Mitchell where he said something along the lines of winning games 2-1 is how you win cups. That style of play isn't going to make anyone on our team look good offensively, especially Huberdeau. I'd like to see him with less defensive responsibility for now in order to jump start him. How many penalty shots and breakaways did he have in his 48 games of the Calder season? Has he had any since? I'm not saying pull a Bure or Ovechkin here but have him start to leak out a little once in a while. Take some chances. You could tell Dineen's system or lack there of was great for him. He's also a lot less athletic right now which is something we all know that I won't rehash. Oh and he needs to fight for more of those garbage goals like his rookie year again. Not enough of that lately.

In summary. He has the skill he has to figure out how to put it together again.

Didn't he play more center under Dineen?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Is it just my imagination or is Hayes faster than he was last year? For a big guy that dude can fly. He's one of my favorite players right now.

I think Barkov is going to come around soon. He's actually beginning to attack the net and shoot the puck. That play where the puck got stuck on Halaks shoulder was a hungry power move from Barky. I think Guddy is looking solid. He's not gonna score much but he's sweeping pucks and banging bodies in front of Lou and looks steady out there. Ekblad continues to impress the **** outta me. Really need a sniper. I get so happy when we score I want that in my life more often. Hopefully we can draft a good sniper and still make the playoffs.

We can. Unless we get the 20th-30th pick, which won't happen. There is just stupid good skill in this draft.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I hear you. For me it's been hard to watch. Somewhere along the line he must have gotten an injury that was worse than we were told. He looks like a completely different player to me. He looks like he's skating in mud. I watch video of his rookie season and he was going around and stick handling through guys.

Because everyone knows who Huberdeau is now. His junior moves won't fool anyone now. Like someone else was saying, he needs to play more like a pro. He is kind of doing that now by playing good defense and trying to get more dirt goals. But he needs to figure out how to do more on the offensive side of the puck. He was never fast. Even in junior he was not a fast skater. It was also the lockout season, a lot of teams were a mess.

To me, Huby has only 3 options.

1)He needs to get a lot faster. Then his junior moves would work sometimes and he could challenge defenders 1v1 like he likes to do.

2)He needs to bulk up a lot more. Then he could score more garbage goals and play more in the dirty areas. With his hands, he could carve out a nice niche as a secondary scorer. Either that, or he has to get a lot smarter with and without the puck. Learn when to dump it in, when to carry it, when to dish it off. He also has to learn to get open more. If Jimmy Hayes can do it, then Huby who was a #3 overall pick can figure it out.

3)Continue on his present course and become a 30-40 pt. player.

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Because everyone knows who Huberdeau is now. His junior moves won't fool anyone now. Like someone else was saying, he needs to play more like a pro. He is kind of doing that now by playing good defense and trying to get more dirt goals. But he needs to figure out how to do more on the offensive side of the puck. He was never fast. Even in junior he was not a fast skater. It was also the lockout season, a lot of teams were a mess.

To me, Huby has only 3 options.

1)He needs to get a lot faster. Then his junior moves would work sometimes and he could challenge defenders 1v1 like he likes to do.

2)He needs to bulk up a lot more. Then he could score more garbage goals and play more in the dirty areas. With his hands, he could carve out a nice niche as a secondary scorer. Either that, or he has to get a lot smarter with and without the puck. Learn when to dump it in, when to carry it, when to dish it off. He also has to learn to get open more. If Jimmy Hayes can do it, then Huby who was a #3 overall pick can figure it out.

3)Continue on his present course and become a 30-40 pt. player.

I was watching junior highlight videos of him and he seemed pretty fast. Often got around the defenders and in on a breakaway. Could've just been flat-footed dmen making it look like he was fast though

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You are right about Nino. He voiced his opinion and wanted a trade to another team and system and it happened to fit his style better. He's not a different player. Same guy, different circumstances. Unfortunately the Isles got the shaft for their lack of vision.

Nino was wrongly tossed to the wolves his first year on the Island. To his credit, he played hard that whole season and even improved on some areas of his game. He never should have touched NHL ice at that age, or point of his development.

The following season (lockout year), there wasn't much time given for training camp. Right out of the gate, the Islanders said that Nino would be playing the entire season in the AHL for development purposes (weather there was an NHL season or not). They wanted him to get top line minutes, maybe make the AHL AS team and play for his country in the WJC's.

A deal with the NHL and PA was struck, Nino along with many other young Islander prospects were not invited to training camp due to it's condensed nature and the fact that the AHL season was still going. Weeks pass, and Nino demands a trade through his agent and the media. At this point, he's leading AHL rookies in goals scored and points playing on the top line.

From that point forward (roughly the midpoint of the season), Nino QUIT. He kept on dressing as a player.... but he stopped even trying out on the ice. His poor attitude possibly prevented him from being an AHL all star and absolutely prevented him or Brock Nelson from being AHL ROY. He was allowed to play for the Swiss, and did well there... and even played well for one game down the stretch that just so happened to be attended by Garth Snow. Other than that he was a Ghost.

While Nino did turn it around, he was never going to do it here after pulling the stunt he did. Look at the Islanders roster, currently.... and tell me who would be likely to sulk and quit on their team for over half a season? It's a shame, but I doubt we've seen the last of this kids antics... and chalk me down as one of many Islander fans that are happy he's gone.

Just wanted to paint the whole picture, because it's common that people leave out these important facts when discussing what happened with Nino. Consequently, his agent is pulling the same garbage currently with Sven Bartschi in Calgary.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I wouldn't give up on Huberdeau, no way. He just needs another creative player or two on his line, some more experience and a little extra rope to play his game.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Nino was wrongly tossed to the wolves his first year on the Island. To his credit, he played hard that whole season and even improved on some areas of his game. He never should have touched NHL ice at that age, or point of his development.

The following season (lockout year), there wasn't much time given for training camp. Right out of the gate, the Islanders said that Nino would be playing the entire season in the AHL for development purposes (weather there was an NHL season or not). They wanted him to get top line minutes, maybe make the AHL AS team and play for his country in the WJC's.

A deal with the NHL and PA was struck, Nino along with many other young Islander prospects were not invited to training camp due to it's condensed nature and the fact that the AHL season was still going. Weeks pass, and Nino demands a trade through his agent and the media. At this point, he's leading AHL rookies in goals scored and points playing on the top line.

From that point forward (roughly the midpoint of the season), Nino QUIT. He kept on dressing as a player.... but he stopped even trying out on the ice. His poor attitude possibly prevented him from being an AHL all star and absolutely prevented him or Brock Nelson from being AHL ROY. He was allowed to play for the Swiss, and did well there... and even played well for one game down the stretch that just so happened to be attended by Garth Snow. Other than that he was a Ghost.

While Nino did turn it around, he was never going to do it here after pulling the stunt he did. Look at the Islanders roster, currently.... and tell me who would be likely to sulk and quit on their team for over half a season? It's a shame, but I doubt we've seen the last of this kids antics... and chalk me down as one of many Islander fans that are happy he's gone.

Just wanted to paint the whole picture, because it's common that people leave out these important facts when discussing what happened with Nino. Consequently, his agent is pulling the same garbage currently with Sven Bartschi in Calgary.

Cool fan spin. I'm well aware that Nino forced their hand. I was an islanders fan long before I was a cats fan. As for him causing more trouble in the future for the Wild, that's pure speculation on your part. As of right now it was a great change of scenery for the kid. Different system and coaching has obviously done wonders.

Thanks for stopping by and Strong Island for real.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I wouldn't give up on Huberdeau, no way. He just needs another creative player or two on his line, some more experience and a little extra rope to play his game.

The Panthers have kids coming down the pipeline that can create chances for themselves with skill and speed. Maybe that will help him. I expect more from a top 3 pick but that's just me.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I'm pretty sure everyone knows what i think of huberdeau's game at this point. imo, at an almost best case scenario i see him as a 20G-30A player, which is what jussi jokinen has been. problem with me is that he and barkov are both not shooters/scorers. id obviously rather keep our young big bodied skilled center than the lack luster winger who has 2 pts on the season. not surprised he doesn't have a lot of points, but 2 even surprises me. we don't need 2 "playmakers" that can't score in our top-6. 1 is enough, and fittingly enough one is a center, which is fine. trade huberdeau in a package for a rw shooter. id do huberdeau + petrovic + 3rd for read + 1st '16. then make a run at sharp in the offseason :P

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Claude Giroux spent a lot of time between the AHL and NHL before he was deemed an elite NHL player. Just sayin'. Also, some say we give up on prospects too quickly like Nik Hagman and Kristian Huselius, but in the long run those guys didn't have great careers. They barely had decent ones to be honest. Huselius had one great year in Calgary, but imo his success came primarily because of his linemates. Hagman became a career role player. So, while it's possible we trade away a future elite player in Huberdeau, essentially it's not likely. That's very few here barely batted an eye after seeing Markstrom get traded. He's likely to have little NHL success.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I was watching junior highlight videos of him and he seemed pretty fast. Often got around the defenders and in on a breakaway. Could've just been flat-footed dmen making it look like he was fast though

Perhaps. One of the knocks on him pre-draft was that he needed to improve his skating. People were saying that about Couturier too, and I always thought Couturier was faster than Huby in the Q. Huby was always a very crafty skater, and often made Q defenders look foolish with spinoramas and dangles, but was never known to be fast.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's also tough to watch kids that are performing well with much less of a chance and ice time when called up just to be sent back down again. Next season I'd like to see a younger team all around.

It will be. We have Bergy, Flash, kopy, and Uppy all being UFA's this summer. bergy is the only one who MIGHT be back. The other 3 are virtually guaranteed to be leaving. There will be a HUGE opportunity for Trocheck, Shore, Howden, and Grimaldi, and maybe someone else who comes out of the woodwork to make this team. I doubt Tallon(I think he'll still be GM) will sign 4 UFA's. This is how he designed it. Another few months in the AHL is not going to kill these kids. It also doesn't hurt us either because it gives us more depth in case of injuries for the rest of this season.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I'm not going to give up on Huberdeau yet, nor do I want him traded. The kid has the skill. He isn't showing it right now, but he has it. I think he's still trying to figure out his game. It wouldn't surprise me with his rookie year if Dineen said to him just go out and try to score every shift. Look at the way the team played, it's not surprising. It was always chaotic all over the ice. Since then, he's had half a season of Horachek, and now he has Gallant. Three different coaches, all the while trying to get back to full strength. I'm not trying to make excuses for the kid, but I'm sure all three coaches have told him how to play differently at least to some extent. If I put myself in his shoes, I'd still be trying to wrap my head around the changes I would need to make, and how I progress from here.

I firmly believe he'll get there. I think it's kind of like starting a new job. Sure, you have skills from your old job that will cross-over, but it will take you some time to figure out exactly what you need to be doing, how you mold yourself into the new position, and align with the organization's identity.

Also, on top of that, all forward lines are lacking chemistry. The most chemistry I saw this season was between Trocheck and Grimaldi.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Perhaps. One of the knocks on him pre-draft was that he needed to improve his skating. People were saying that about Couturier too, and I always thought Couturier was faster than Huby in the Q. Huby was always a very crafty skater, and often made Q defenders look foolish with spinoramas and dangles, but was never known to be fast.

I do believe that Huberdeau can work on his skating but how much speed can he gain? Have there been players that look as slow as he does that have improved dramatically? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
that's a pretty good hockey team in NYI folks

As HF posters, we often post about our own teams (positives and negatives). But this Islanders team was impressive all night. They started the game by being physical and getting the better of us until it woke up Guds, Thornton, Upshall etc to be hard on the bodies too. Islanders have a scary transition game, Dmen who can move the puck up quickly and game changer forward we are currently lacking.

According to Potvin, his name is Eggblag...

Someone needs to use this on THIS SITE but split image of Potvin and Eggblad < isn't that the correct spelling??

We have nothing but play makers. Just give me one selfish sniper. That's all that's on my Christmas list.

So true. Bench of Ales Hemskys :cry:

Honestly, I agree with you most of the time, but I can't agree with this.

Luongo has been great this season, he really has. But he's playing like an elite-level goaltender should. He faced 34 shots tonight against a very strong Islanders offense. Yes he had to make a couple of great saves, but so does every other goaltender in the NHL on a nightly basis.

Watch Quick in LA, or Rask in Boston, or Price in Montreal. Each one of them makes 3-4 spectacular stops a night, helping their teams win. It's what is expected of NHL goaltenders in today's game.

I think it's just that our goaltending was so awful over the last couple of seasons that we are not use to this sort of talent between the pipes. Like I said, Luongo has been incredible, but I don't think we'd be too far off with someone like Halak or Hiller in net for us. Markstrom and co. were terribad last year.

Halak or someone around that level would have us competing, totally agree. The defensive scheme has helped Luongo make those big saves later in the game, where in his past tenure here he was sucking wind every game with still 10-20 minutes to go. This is the ideal team to be playing in front of Luongo at this stage in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad