Prospect Info: 10th overall: Vancouver selects Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA St. Petersburg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Vasily Podkolzin: 'Great Pleasure and Honour to be selected by the Canucks' - Sportsnet.ca

Canucks newest draft pick Vasily Podkolzin talked to Joey Kenward about he feels about getting selected by the Canucks. HE also talks about if he had a feeling that he would be selected by the Canucks in the lead up to the draft.
Translator wasn’t truthful lol

Last question Podkolzin said he hopes the fans react better than they did when he was picked, but also understands the worry and wants to prove people wrong and looks forward to get over any hurdles in his path.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Four other teams after us passed on Caufield. It’s not like he was picked 11th.

Anyone heard anything about Pod? I want to hear his thoughts on being drafted and coming over to the NHL.

They interviewed him here with a translator, he didn’t say anything about his timeline but said it was an honour to play for the team of the great Pavel Bure (after being asked about Bure by the interviewer).

Seems like a pretty earnest, straightforward kid. Hard to tell cause of the translator though.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
If he was from NA I'm sure people would have debated him at first OA.
He didn't dominate the MHL. The MHL is not a good league. He was great in international tournaments, however. People are assuming this is a mysterious Russian superstar. He isn't a great athlete.

If he was from NA people would call him a gritty and smart.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Ultimate upside pick, I didn't consider him at all because 2 years in Russia and Jimbo having to save his job. Looks like Judd and the scouts won out IMO

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
it was Boldy or Podkolzin for me.

Gotta say 2 months ago i was wanting to avoid him but as i learned more and did more research i feel like Pod is

1- Not a flight risk
2- Not a threat to be a Zherdev or some party boy that just wants to score
3. Is the 6th best player in the draft currently
4- has the power game and intensity to take his game to higher levels than his projection
5- will do anything to win. Kid is a pit bull

really good pick for a 10OA comparables Tarasenko Meier
His game is different than those guys who are normally flight risk. Apologies for generalizing here.

He's a 2 way, 200 foot player. Goes hard on his shifts. He's not a floater who won't go into the corners. Filatov, Zherdev, Semin, those guys.

Big issue was production. Sam Constentino really likes him on SN. Button on TSN, not as high as he dropped him during the season due to the lack of production.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Shocked they took the pick. I mean, it's not a crazy pick at all, but it's not going to impact the roster for probably 3-4 years. Whoever made this pick isn't worried about their job.

The thing that sticks out to me the most about Podkolzin (keeping in mind I've seen him maybe three times total) is that the criticism and nature of his skating is a lot like Horvat's in his draft year.
Corey Pronman @ The Athletic said:
The one thing that bugs me about [Podkolzin] is his skating. His stride is a little awkward and inefficient, he’s hunched over, kicks his heels out, but he generates decent speed and hustles so hard that any technical flaw isn’t that exposed.
I'm wondering if the Canucks aren't thinking about it.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Embarassing they couldn't find anyone in the organization to pronounce Podkolzins name at least half right...

I know it might only be a minor thing but to me it screams unprofessionalism which somehow fits the picture our management group tends to show a lot.
50th anniversary. Vancouver hosting the draft. Smyl first retired jersey and long time member of management.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Interesting pick. I honestly thought he'd be gone or we'd avoid him due to the 2 years in Russia but I'm good with the 'risky' part of the pick. The potential payoff if he develops is massive.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Can’t complain about the 2 year contract, that’s gonna be pretty standard for all of Zegras, Krebs, Newhook, Boldy, etc. Some may come after 1 but probably most will be 2 years. I’d expect Podz should be pretty NHL ready after that, so it’s a pretty standard development timeline.

Reactions: THE Green Man

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Is he one of the more younger players in the draft? Is hockey IQ an issue? Genuinely curious, don’t know much about this pick here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad