Prospect Info: 10th overall: Vancouver selects Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA St. Petersburg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
With the 10th pick, I'm glad they swing for the fences instead of taking a safer bet. The talent is absolutely top-5 worthy, his red flag is easier to manage than other red flags like hockey IQ or size, all of which comes with a player selected at this point in the draft.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I’ve said it before... Pods was my #4 player in the draft, but I shied away because of the Russian factor.

Every time I’ve seen him play he impressed me, he really does play a similar style to Hossa. His defensive game, and checking is going to surprise many people.

This guy hasn’t potential to be a HUUUUGGGEEEE steal.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I like taking a big swing like this over going safe. And Canucks can't touch him for 2 years which is probably for the best.

That being said, I had almost forgotten about Caufield cause I was so stunned by the pick. Big gamble, really need it to pan out for us.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
That the scouting group isn't afraid to swing for the fences (like they did in the last two drafts) suggest that Brackett & co are pretty confident and believe in themselves. To me that seems to be a good sign.
They've had a high emphasis on drafting pure skill and managing the downsides.

Pettersson with his weight

Hughes with his height

Podkolzin with his Russian flight risk

So far they're 2 out of 3 with that mindset.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
honestly i'm just stoked that they

a) didn't shy away from a Russian
b) took the long term upside pick instead of a close-to-NHL ready kid to save their jobs.

Like hopefully that means Benning actually did the right thing instead of meaning that he has a lot of job security, but I'm happy with this pick. NHL teams overthink this shit too often.

Even if he doesn't turn out, as of today this is a good pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad