Prospect Info: 10th overall: Vancouver selects Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA St. Petersburg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I'm not gonna pretend I know enough about this guy to have a strong opinion about him. It's interesting that the Canucks took a Russian player. Tryamkin, Shirokov, Chubarov, Mogilny, Bure, Larionov, Krutov; the Canucks have always had great relationships with their russian players! Nobody is better equipped than jim and francesco to negotiate with SKA to get him over here! I don't foresee any problems.

Yeah, this is the pick of a guy who has zero concerns over his job security.

I'm pretty hard on Jim, but even I don't think he's so dense that he doesn't see his job is in jeopardy.

Last edited:

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
They prob interviewed the crap out of this guy and got the sense he is coming to the nhl and staying long term or they wouldnt have drafted him

Go big or go home

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
Would have preferred Boldy, Caufiled, or Newhook but admittedly it's because I did zero DD on Pod because I assumed Russians were a no-go for the Canucks.

Cautiously excited for this pick

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Put his body on the line every night as a player.

Time in management? Eh, not so good.

Can say the same about Ron Delorme. Took on ALL heavyweights (even if he was overmatched). His time in "management"? Eh, not so good.

I agree with you. His time with the organization should come to pass but he was the wrong guy to throw on stage and address the home crowd and announce the draft pick.

I figure he was put up on stage strategically so the crowd wouldn't boourrrns his ass while at the podium.

No one is gonna boo Stan Smyl. He's one of the good guys.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
it was Boldy or Podkolzin for me.

Gotta say 2 months ago i was wanting to avoid him but as i learned more and did more research i feel like Pod is

1- Not a flight risk
2- Not a threat to be a Zherdev or some party boy that just wants to score
3. Is the 6th best player in the draft currently
4- has the power game and intensity to take his game to higher levels than his projection
5- will do anything to win. Kid is a pit bull

really good pick for a 10OA comparables Tarasenko Meier

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I hope the Canucks can buy out one year of his contract so he can get here sooner, give him a year to learn English

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
Good pick. You can't live in fear and never draft a Russian again or it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of Russians never playing for Vancouver. And then you preclude yourself from using a pretty large talent pool of potential NHL players.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Embarassing they couldn't find anyone in the organization to pronounce Podkolzins name at least half right...

I know it might only be a minor thing but to me it screams unprofessionalism which somehow fits the picture our management group tends to show a lot.
feels like they were disorganized

interesting to see if any behind the scenes stuff comes up and reveals if there was a close trade or a last second overruling

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
it was Boldy or Podkolzin for me.

Gotta say 2 months ago i was wanting to avoid him but as i learned more and did more research i feel like Pod is

1- Not a flight risk
2- Not a threat to be a Zherdev or some party boy that just wants to score
3. Is the 6th best player in the draft currently
4- has the power game and intensity to take his game to higher levels than his projection
5- will do anything to win. Kid is a pit bull

really good pick for a 10OA comparables Tarasenko Meier

Best I can think of is Evander Kane with much more intensity. If he can clean up his skating technique and mature his game a bit over the next 2 years in the K - less one vs the world stuff - this kid could be a very effective top 6 winger, and a huge fan favourite. Sometimes it’s not how purely skilled a guy is but how bad he wants it and Podz has above average skill with elite wants-it. Maybe a sign that we announced Burrows to the RoH on the same night we take Podz.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
That being said, I had almost forgotten about Caufield cause I was so stunned by the pick. Big gamble, really need it to pan out for us.
I’m sure you’ll be one of the first people to post if caufield has a better start next season

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He hired NewPort sports a week ago in a press release.

The canucks have a strong relationship with Newport
Sutter
Horvat
Markstrom
Tanev

Newport dominates the WHL and OHL in getting prospects, but they don't have many, if any russian players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->