Prospect Info: 10th overall: Vancouver selects Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA St. Petersburg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Is he one of the more younger players in the draft? Is hockey IQ an issue? Genuinely curious, don’t know much about this pick here

Yes, June birthday. Turns 18 in 3 days.

Not sure if IQ is quite the issue, more vision and a tendency to try to do too much himself. Can make some very smart plays at times, but tends to play a pretty simple, direct game. Skate puck fast and hard to net 9 times out of 10. Occasionally flash something different. Maybe lack of chemistry and familiarity with teammates having played on so many teams though. Hard to get a read on if those are real issues or not.

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Goes to show what coming from behind and winning that last game did to our position. Tough having a solid drafting team like the Ducks picking right ahead of us in every round.

For the pick, didn't think they would go for him at all so didn't do much reading on his game. No denying that he has been rated high by a number of publications so I don't think it is fair to say it was a reach. If he works out, it sounds like he will bring an enticing skill set to the roster.

Hoping for the best for this player and don't mind the philosophy of our first round draft over the last few seasons.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Is he one of the more younger players in the draft? Is hockey IQ an issue? Genuinely curious, don’t know much about this pick here

All the reports I've seen have commented he's got good vision and IQ, which translates into a strong two-way game:
The Athletic said:
An NHL scout said: “[Podkolzin]’s got very good offensive skill and hockey sense. He gets pucks inside very well. He’s got that shot to score from outside. I love the competitiveness. He always elevated when the stakes were high. He’s unpredictable for defenders to check.”

An NHL scout said: “There are skating issues with him that have been known for a while, but everything else about his game is high end. He’s dynamic and fearless.”

Despite all that, I still see a forward with high-end skill, high-end vision, a high-end shot, an elite compete level and physicality, all despite iffy skating, I think he has the potential to be a top-line power winger in the NHL.
Pronman: What to expect by drafting forward Vasili Podkolzin...

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wish we traded down to 16 and picked up a few picks. Coulda had podkolzin or krebs or newhook still

I get the feeling a lot of teams were in the same boat, knowing they were going to get a good, similar level player regardless, and weren't enamored enough with any one player to give up assets to secure him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Goes to show what coming from behind and winning that last game did to our position. Tough having a solid drafting team like the Ducks picking right ahead of us in every round.

For the pick, didn't think they would go for him at all so didn't do much reading on his game. No denying that he has been rated high by a number of publications so I don't think it is fair to say it was a reach. If he works out, it sounds like he will bring an enticing skill set to the roster.

Hoping for the best for this player and don't mind the philosophy of our first round draft over the last few seasons.

I said to a buddy as soon as we lost in OT and got the point that, just wait, it would bite us in the ass. Then every time I tried to mock Zegras to us I kept running into Anaheim taking him.

Bloody hell.

Reactions: Bonham

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Zegras was the player I wanted the *most* that might be avail at #10, but after he went #9 (dang it) I was really happy to see Podkolzin fall to us! BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE! Stoked.

Thank you Detroit for going off the map, and giving us a shot at the Pod! Mucho appreciated.

Reactions: lawrence

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Yes, June birthday. Turns 18 in 3 days.

Not sure if IQ is quite the issue, more vision and a tendency to try to do too much himself. Can make some very smart plays at times, but tends to play a pretty simple, direct game. Skate puck fast and hard to net 9 times out of 10. Occasionally flash something different. Maybe lack of chemistry and familiarity with teammates having played on so many teams though. Hard to get a read on if those are real issues or not.

All the reports I've seen have commented he's got good vision and IQ, which translates into a strong two-way game.

Pronman: What to expect by drafting forward Vasili Podkolzin...

Thanks for the follow ups.

I really like this pick as well, fits in good with our timeline as that’s about when I’d expect this team to be capable of making noise in the playoffs plus having ELCs in your lineup as contenders is important - especially those whom play a big role in a run (which I assume he will, seeing there is no real hurdles blocking his game aside from skating which I think he has desire to improve judging off what I’ve read here).

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
This is from HP’s black book:

In contrast to his shot, Podkolzin doesn’t look to pass the puck as often. One of the main reasons for this is due to his take-over mentality which gives him tunnel-vision at times.

Not sure it’s really an IQ issue, maybe more a playstyle / immaturity thing. Definitely something he’ll need to work on.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

Two third period goals in a meaningless game and we miss out on Zegras.

Pod seems like a boom or bust guy.

Hope he booms.

Reactions: Jovofan and timw33

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I was devestated zegras didnt fall to us, and i would have taken caufield, with that said i see some excellent skill and potential with podkolzin yet, like others its a risk but i dont hate it, could be worth it. I honestly did not see enough of podkolzin to make a ruling.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Goes to show what coming from behind and winning that last game did to our position. Tough having a solid drafting team like the Ducks picking right ahead of us in every round..

Well the Ducks actually won 3 of their last 3 games and beat Vancouver in the 5th last game. The Canucks lost their last game but did pick up an extra point. It wasn't the perfect tank job this year but it wasn't bad.

Reactions: Bougieman

just22

Aug 2, 2009
I guess I should be happy we didn’t pick a defenseman, but really wanted Zegras. Thank you meaningless wins at the end of the season.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I mentioned in another post, I think they kept Benning off the stage in prevention of him getting boo'd but once again, what the hell does John Weisbrod do again?

You'd think they would get the Harvard grad or Judd Brackett to announce of the pick before throwing Steamer out there.
They wanted Smyl to speak to the crowd considering it was in Vancouver.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I get the feeling a lot of teams were in the same boat, knowing they were going to get a good, similar level player regardless, and weren't enamored enough with any one player to give up assets to secure him.
But Arizona did so I’m sure Arizona would have been just as happy to get 10 for the same price they paid for 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad