100% Galchenyuk's fault. Habs lose 4-2 to Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
If he is still around, i think it will be a different story with a training camp.

His confidence is shot right now, im not sure he is at 100% either. He looks even worse to compared to players ready for playoffs.

He needs a reset which will be at camp. Needs to re-evaluate himself.

Right now its about the team and playoffs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
here's my take on 27. he's a shooting center and that's why he worked with radulov. Therrien and now julien didn't show enough patience with that duo when he came back from his knee injury.

He doesn't have playmakers on his line. Shaw is a waterbug and lehkonen is also a shooter. Galchenyuk is a victim of stacking two most skilled players - 67/47

he has no elite players to work with

He also is a very average skater

Jul 6, 2016
If they lose tomorrow vs Detroit, that's not the end of the World... But I would really hate it. It's not a way to end a season and start Playoffs at all. I know they have key d-men injured, but it's not much excuse.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Well be nice to see some other looks at the roster with all the players staying in Montreal to rest Saturday. Galchenyuk will probably play with Danault who will set him up and has speed.

Byron Plekanec Gallagher
Galchenyuk Danault Lehkonen
King Mitchell Shaw
Martinsen Ott McCarron

Beaulieu Petry
Davidson Benn
Nesterov Lernout

Lindgren

Jul 6, 2016
If he is still around, i think it will be a different story with a training camp.

His confidence is shot right now, im not sure he is at 100% either. He looks even worse to compared to players ready for playoffs.

He needs a reset which will be at camp. Needs to re-evaluate himself.

Right now its about the team and playoffs

I think the guy needs to get more mature off the ice, too. If you see what I mean. Him and Beaulieu especially have to cut a bit on extra curricular activities off the ice.

If not, I would not be surprised to see both of them traded during the off season.

Jul 6, 2016
Well be nice to see some other looks at the roster with all the players staying in Montreal to rest Saturday. Galchenyuk will probably play with Danault who will set him up and has speed.

Byron Plekanec Gallagher
Galchenyuk Danault Lehkonen
King Mitchell Shaw
Martinsen Ott McCarron

Beaulieu Petry
Davidson Benn
Nesterov Lernout

Lindgren

King finally scored a goal for the Habs !!!! :naughty:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Geez watching the highlights(I missed this gem) and it looks like we played awful.

I wouldn't say the Habs were awful for the most part. The defense wasn't very good though. Tampa played like a team playing for their playoff lives and the Habs played like a team with nothing to play for. The PP still needs some major work. :help:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's tough because he's inconsistent. He puts up points but you never feel he's driving the offense when he does. He's awful at the dot and defensively. Two coaches have seen it. We'll see what he does in the playoffs but if we can use him to upgrade, we should.

He's not the best at faceoffs, but for those who were paying attention, he was improving substantially before being moved to wing. 2 games in a row he was around 70% as I recall, before sliding under 50% in the next.
It's a skill that takes years to hone, and there's other things he does very well. Too many here have already given up on him. Such was also the case earlier in the year with Gallagher, Pacioretty, Price and Plekanec. All of them bounced back, Pleks a bit less, but his resurgence is quite recent.

Edit: Radulov too was called lazy and useless while his foot was hurt.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
CJ as always been positive in his comments since he joined the habs, i think its the first time i hear him being semi tough on a player but he was tonite with Galchenyuk in the presser: il est temps quil se prenne en main et il doit augmenter son niveau d'intensité.

Wake up call AG!!

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I thought the Habs had a decent game considering we were playing a really desperate team. The problem was we couldn't finish which isn't a new problem at all but there was chances

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
CJ as always been positive in his comments since he joined the habs, i think its the first time i hear him being semi tough on a player but he was tonite with Galchenyuk in the presser: il est temps quil se prenne en main et il doit augmenter son niveau d'intensité.

Wake up call AG!!

Exactly! It is on Galchenyuk. He can redeem himself by playing great during the playoffs.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
If they lose tomorrow vs Detroit, that's not the end of the World... But I would really hate it. It's not a way to end a season and start Playoffs at all. I know they have key d-men injured, but it's not much excuse.

Haven't you heard those games are irrelevant. Didn't you know every team strives to get into the play-offs on a losing streak?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Haven't you heard those games are irrelevant. Didn't you know every team strives to get into the play-offs on a losing streak?

I'll tell you absolutely no coaches want to go in the playoffs on a 8 games winning streak (we were on a 5 games winning streak before losing the last 2). I'm 100% sure Julien is actually happy.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Positives of tonights game:
Radu's line and Gally's line looked good
Lehkonen
King has been getting ton of chance lately and finally scored. The 4th line also looked good
Price looked good. The 4 goals were all on his defensemen

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Problem is the Habs have nothing even close to a Backstrom.

He's likely available but I'm not sure Matt Duchene is the answer either. Having both him and Galchenyuk would be an improvement on what they have right now though. :dunno:

Agreed. I think Tavares is the answer if he makes it clear he wants a new team.

And that's fine. He'll never be a superstar.

But this last stretch they couldn't make the mistake of screwing around with Galchenyuk again. Put him at 3C is fine until he gets his groove back. But now he's so far down the hole his confidence is completely shot. Big mistake putting him at LW at this time of year.

I think he should stay C and if they don't think he's ready for #1C, keep him as #3 or #2 as you suggest. We're on same page.

He should be so much further along than he is though.

Maybe so but C is a harder position than wing. If you look lost on wing after years of playing it(even in juniors) there's more than a coach to blame.

Makes you think, maybe galchenyuk would've been better off in juniors longer BUT they were playing him wing. Galchenyuk as a C in the OHL would've done good for him.

At this point he's nowhere near Kuznetsov. The kid needs to wake the **** up ASAP or he'll be gone this offseason. He's playing with zero effort and making incredibly dumb plays whenever he has the puck. He even looks Desharnaisesque in the way he seemingly avoids getting near the puck.

I've always been patient with him and loved his play early in the season and last year. I never cared about him being pretty lousy in his own zone when he was creating offense. But recently he's been goddamn useless.

That's how it is with him. You take the good and the bad. I like Galchenyuk a lot but as much as we love his highs, he's still very raw in certain areas.

He'll get better but I'm not convinced he'll be a C to carry a team.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I'll tell you absolutely no coaches want to go in the playoffs on a 8 games winning streak (we were on a 5 games winning streak before losing the last 2). I'm 100% sure Julien is actually happy.

I don't know about that. Sure Julien is happy they finished first but I think he would have preferred a win tonight The sarcasm was directed at the posters who were rooting for the other team- something that goes against my grain.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't know about that. Sure Julien is happy they finished first but I think he would have preferred a win tonight The sarcasm was directed at the posters who were rooting for the other team- something that goes against my grain.

Tonight probably. But i'm sure he did not want to win the last 3 games and enter the playoffs on a 8 games winning streak. A little struggle before the playoffs is not a bad thing at all imo.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Wake up call AG!!

Personally, I have no problem if posters quote French here, but if you do, please take the time to translate it as well. Thank you.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
I was at the game tonight:

-Price looked solid. I know he let in 4 goals but I'm not worried one bit. The puck handling was great, his positioning was sound as usual. I liked his game, he looks in control.
-The lack of intensity by the entire roster was blatantly obvious. I know winning this game would have been fun but let's be serious here. They're in the playoffs, they won their division, their opponent is set... Tampa is literally playing for their season. There was no way the intensity levels by both teams was going to be the same, ESPECIALLY considering half their d-squad was out.
-Nesterov....I hope I never see him play for the Habs ever again. So so bad.
-Lehkonen is a gem, he's going to be a good one for us in the playoffs and for years to come. So smart with the puck and without it. He's a hockey player, so so impressed.
-Galchenyuk....I mean, I don't mind the lack of scoring, or the terrible face-off percentages. My problem with him is he acts like a child. I get it, you want to play C. But he just steps on the ice to get off of it. He has ZERO intensity...goes through the motions. I didn't notice him until 30 minutes in, when I started noticing him for all the bad reasons. He doesn't want to go out there and make a change, he wants it to just turn around easily. He needs to grow up, and realize he's in the NHL. Go out there, show some intensity. You don't have to score, just do something.
-The entire roster needs help on face-off. Idk what the stats were for tonight but it felt as though we lost every key face-off. That needs to be addressed before Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad