Post-Game Talk: 10/8 Rangers @ Hertl. And some other guys

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I saw a different angle on NHL on the fly on Stuart's hit..he didn't lead with an elbow...it was high though.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Unless our coach with his Burish-mancrush has his way, Sheppard will look really good when Havlat and Torres return and he gets some stud linemates (nevertheless, his line should improve from Sheppard-Desi-McCarthy).

Too bad T-mac will never do it, but in theory:

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy
Nieto-Sheppard-Wingels
13th forward Desjardins
14th forward Burish

Desi is doing work...hes not coming out of the line up.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Desi is doing work...hes not coming out of the line up.

Just making the point of how stacked the lineup is, and how, when fully healthy, Burish shouldn't be in it (and Sheppard should, in theory, end up with better linemates). Double especially (As to benching Burish) come playoff time.

wraith985

Jan 8, 2006
If Nieto keeps up this level of play, I actually think Sheppard is the odd one out. Desi and Wingels are better for fourth line duties than Shep, and odds are Tmac will want to use Burish on a regular basis as well (as much as I strongly disagree with that).

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy
Wingels-Desjardins-Burish
Nieto

is how I see it. McCarthy the eternal plug back to the Woo and Sheppard with no good place to slot in the lineup unless injuries happen.

EDIT: It would probably be better for Nieto's development if he went back to Worcester and Sheppard stayed on as the 13th forward, but if Matty continues to play as well as he has thus far it'll be tough to justify that.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
To play devil's advocate, you can see issues on the goals.

Goal 1 was all Desjardins.
Goal 2 came off Boyle/Thornton's transition-creating ability; 98/100 you want Hertl hustling on the backcheck, not floating near the blueline on the off-chance that there will be a turnover.
Goal 3 was nice hands by Hertl, but generated by a fine shot from Demers; Hertl was just cleaning up the garbage in front.
Goal 4 doesn't come unless Demers makes that beautiful pass to Hertl.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Just making the point of how stacked the lineup is, and how, when fully healthy, Burish shouldn't be in it (and Sheppard should, in theory, end up with better linemates). Double especially (As to benching Burish) come playoff time.

What has Sheppard done to deserve better linemates that Desi hasn't? Desi is an ideal 4th liner..he grinds, kills penalties, fights etc. Sheppard would be the odd man out

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Goal 2 came off Boyle/Thornton's transition-creating ability; 98/100 you want Hertl hustling on the backcheck, not floating near the blueline on the off-chance that there will be a turnover.
Goal 3 was nice hands by Hertl, but generated by a fine shot from Demers; Hertl was just cleaning up the garbage in front.

To play devil's advocate, all you'd really have to do is mention his >40sh%. :p:

I disagree with the evaluations too. You could argue for his first two goals of the season (weak backhand and one deflecting off his body), but his last 3 goals today were very skilled. The finishes were greater than the set-ups in those.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Nieto is a scorer and should be in the top 9 if he earns it. Torres-Desi-Wingels is basically a third line, super tough hard hitting line. That would give us the equivalent of two 1st lines and 2nd and a 3rd. That there is a cup team, deeper than the Hawks even.

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Nieto-Pavelski-Kennedy
Torres-Desjardins-Wingels
Shep

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

I know it's a devil's advocate post but I think you're selling the kid short. Plus it's nice to have a player who can actually FINISH these great set ups. We've got enough two-way playmakers on this team.

wraith985

Jan 8, 2006
I think we can all agree that this is a very good problem to have. Frankly, I'm surprised that Nieto is as far along as he seems to be, so I'm expecting some dropoff as time goes on. That might be enough to get him sent back to Worcester to develop some more, while Sheppard stays on in San Jose. If only TMac's man crush on Burish wasn't around to complicate things, this would all be so simple...

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

We all know every goal wasn't all him, but what we can see that makes us happy is he is enjoying the ride, he scored 4 ****ing goals, and they're all having a great time. I'm honestly more excited to see that he is back checking so well and making other small things happen offensively. He'll only score 25-30 goals max this year but he will probably win the Calder and stay in the NHL. I'm just excited to see both he and Nieto look like they fit. I'm shocked to see how well Nieto has played. Hopefully Nieto keeps it up, Hertl is obviously a lock.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

To play Devil's Devil's Advocate:

Who cares. This was Hertl's night.;)

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
TMac sounded kind of pissed in the post game when asked about the fourth goal, saying something along the lines of "Hertl is innocent out there, doesn't know anything, and doesn't know what league he's in."

I hope I just read it the wrong way because stifling a young player's creativity like that would be terrible. It's a game for crying out loud, let the 19-year-old kid have some fun.

glennzky

Sep 4, 2003
East Bay
Visit site
Based on what I've seen so far, I think Havlat is out of a job. He's injured too often and overpaid. Nieto and Hertl have passed by him on the depth chart.

Vigneault is still the drama queen. Stuart did not elbow Nash in the head and he didn't leave his feet as Vigneault claimed.

I think Nash left the game because he didn't want anymore to do with the blowout. Or perhaps Vigneault kept him out because he wants to make a case to suspend Stuart as payback for the Sharks causing him to lose his job in Vancouver. Shanaban likes to suspend when a player is injured and ignore or give a fine when a player isn't injured.

glennzky

Sep 4, 2003
East Bay
Visit site

Yeah, but he still had to go to the net and finish. It wasn't like the puck bounced off him and in. Give credit where it is due.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

You have to be ******** me. You could make an argument like this for every single goal in the NHL.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
TMac sounded kind of pissed in the post game when asked about the fourth goal, saying something along the lines of "Hertl is innocent out there, doesn't know anything, and doesn't know what league he's in."

I hope I just read it the wrong way because stifling a young player's creativity like that would be terrible. It's a game for crying out loud, let the 19-year-old kid have some fun.

In that case, I hope guys like Hertl and Yakupov never realize what league they're playing in.

But if I were to know the koala's comments better, I would assume he meant that Hertl was playing beyond what is expected of him. Just a guess.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Based on what I've seen so far, I think Havlat is out of a job. He's injured too often and overpaid. Nieto and Hertl have passed by him on the depth chart.

Vigneault is still the drama queen. Stuart did not elbow Nash in the head and he didn't leave his feet as Vigneault claimed.

I think Nash left the game because he didn't want anymore to do with the blowout. Or perhaps Vigneault kept him out because he wants to make a case to suspend Stuart as payback for the Sharks causing him to lose his job in Vancouver. Shanaban likes to suspend when a player is injured and ignore or give a fine when a player isn't injured.

Nieto is not proven. He has played 3 NHL games. Havlat is still a ridiculously important fit on the team and a big piece of the puzzle.

Do you guys not remember the Marleau-Couture-Havlat line before Marty got hurt? That line was about as good as the current Hertl-Thornton-Burns line has been. Havlat is still really really important to this team. Nieto will probably just be sent down, honestly, unless he continues to play like he did tonight. Burish will always play if healthy, and Desjardins probably will too. Nieto will be sent down and Shelpard will be scratched to make room

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
In that case, I hope guys like Hertl and Yakupov never realize what league they're playing in.

But if I were to know the koala's comments better, I would assume he meant that Hertl was playing beyond what is expected of him. Just a guess.
Well the question was "what did you think of Hertl's fourth goal?" or something like that and his first reply was "well it went in so it's fine" instead of giving him props or credit.

And then it went from there. The tone just wasn't a positive one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad