Post-Game Talk: 10/8 Rangers @ Hertl. And some other guys

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
In that case, I hope guys like Hertl and Yakupov never realize what league they're playing in.

But if I were to know the koala's comments better, I would assume he meant that Hertl was playing beyond what is expected of him. Just a guess.

Its exactly what he meant..he didn't sound pissed at all. He said the team "needs that" in the line up.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Based on what I've seen so far, I think Havlat is out of a job. He's injured too often and overpaid. Nieto and Hertl have passed by him on the depth chart.

Vigneault is still the drama queen. Stuart did not elbow Nash in the head and he didn't leave his feet as Vigneault claimed.

I think Nash left the game because he didn't want anymore to do with the blowout. Or perhaps Vigneault kept him out because he wants to make a case to suspend Stuart as payback for the Sharks causing him to lose his job in Vancouver. Shanaban likes to suspend when a player is injured and ignore or give a fine when a player isn't injured.

Nash left the game when the score was 0-0

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
To play devil's advocate, you can see issues on the goals.

Goal 1 was all Desjardins.
Goal 2 came off Boyle/Thornton's transition-creating ability; 98/100 you want Hertl hustling on the backcheck, not floating near the blueline on the off-chance that there will be a turnover.
Goal 3 was nice hands by Hertl, but generated by a fine shot from Demers; Hertl was just cleaning up the garbage in front.
Goal 4 doesn't come unless Demers makes that beautiful pass to Hertl.

I know this is devil's advocacy but this is a load of ********, even #2. 1,3 and 4 are non-points because all you are saying there (at worst) is he finished some playmaking. It's not a bad thing for someone to be able to finish!

#2 could be an issue if he was in fact floating but he wasn't. He was halfway back through the neutral zone but recognized very quickly that the play got turned around and transitioned. This is a very impressive aspect of his game, his hockey sense is off the charts. This is why he looks so fast, he's getting the jump on plays because he's reading plays as fast as our star players.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I think if it was a close game T-Mac would have been fine with the 4th goal. Since it was a huge blowout, I think T-Mac wasn't pleased with what he'd consider showboating and rubbing it in. I didn't see the interview though so I'm just taking Chubbs' word for it.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So when I got NHL 14 I moved Hertl over from the Czech league and bumped his rating up to about 76-78 which I thought was fair.

I think I might've undershot it. :laugh:

MechaMarleau

Vertebraeker
Apr 13, 2007
Menlo Park
Barring some radical roster change, Desjardins is the fourth-line center. He's great on face-offs, he's chippy, he draws penalties. If the roster was fully healthy (which won't be for months and I think it's silly to think everyone will be concurrently healthy) the main question would be Wingels moving down to the fourth line and bumping against Burish.

Also if Nieto is a roster lock by the time Torres comes back who's moving around.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I didn't see hear the comments, but I'm going to assume (and hope) McLellan meant something like - he doesn't know what he is doing. He doesn't know how hard it is to score goals in this league...

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
My interpretation was that McLellan doesn't think Hertl knows quite how big a deal what he's doing is.

EDIT: Just realized I went over 20K posts. I got caught up in Hertl-mania. :laugh:

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
If he meant it like that, why wouldn't he just say it instead of going roundabout and saying things like "celebrating when up" and "not understanding" what he's doing?

I don't know, it just sounds to me like TMac is butt-hertl about it.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I think you guys are reading way too much into his comments..do you expect him to say "did you see that ****in ****? he deked Biron back to New York!" even though that would be awesome. No issue from me.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I think you guys are reading way too much into his comments..do you expect him to say "did you see that ****in ****? he deked Biron back to New York!" even though that would be awesome. No issue from me.

McLellan complimented and defended a ton of players in the past. When he's happy, he doesn't beat-around-the-bush or avoid the question like he did here. His tone just sounds pretty passive-aggressive to me. :dunno:

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
McLellan complimented and defended a ton of players in the past. When he's happy, he doesn't beat-around-the-bush or avoid the question like he did here. His tone just sounds pretty passive-aggressive to me. :dunno:

I just think hes defusing media expectations..and hes not wrong..Hertl is just going out and playing..not worrying about where he is or who he is playing. Thats what that "innocent" comment said to me.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
It's weird. He doesn't sound angry, but his tone doesn't sound like a happy one. He even said something along the lines of "when it's 8 or 9-2, it's probably not a good celebrating time". I'm also not getting the "he doesn't completely understand where he is".

http://video.sharks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?navid=TLN

Koala is downplaying the blowout. It's actually a good move on him. I think he's he's just recognizing the situation before it's brought to any of is players. I seriously doubt that translates to any scorn upon Hertl

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You have to be ******** me. You could make an argument like this for every single goal in the NHL.

Just trying to temper expectations. The way things are going, I think Sharks's fans are begging the hockey gods to set Hertl up for failture.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. McLellan just never seemed like one to be roundabout or vague. Couture's rookie season he was like "Couture has great hands and will be a star in this league" and when they blew out teams early last season he was like "Our guys have to remember this isn't fantasy hockey", etc.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Just trying to temper expectations. The way things are going, I think Sharks's fans are begging the hockey gods to set Hertl up for failture.

**** the hockey gods. I think everyone knows Hertl will slow down and hit rough patches. Right now he's flying.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Dude, no one seriously expects him to continue to score at this pace. Hell, tonight's game hasn't changed my opinion of him (mostly because I did watch so much of him in Slavia Praha last season, so I'm used to him).

But he's made a little history tonight, just let us enjoy it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad