GDT: 10/8 2015-16 Opening Night Boston Bruins vs. Winnipeg Jets - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
I just watched the game. I thought the Bruins looked good offensively. They had a decent amount of chances tonight. This group should score pretty well. It's just the terrible defensive errors and positioning on the backend. But that's way the Bruins are right now, an inexperienced D group without Chara and Seidenberg. They should get better. Irwin and Tortman, rather they weren't on the team tho.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dan I think when you watch the replay (if you can stomach it) you'll reassess your position on Trotman, at least in regard to tonight.

He was awful. Just lucky that Irwin was worse.

I am not sure I want to:laugh:

maybe he looked better because Irwin had a tough night

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just in from the game.....:(...It was a long ride home and I am afraid there will be many more this season ( the ride home always seems longer when the B's lose).

Chemistry was such a fine thing to have....past tense:(

The B's are going to get killed Sat against the Habs :( Maybe Tuukka should sit the game out.

Pasta looked good. Spooner got no help from his line mates...not at all impressed.

The 4th line is a waste.

The D is terrible

The first period looked OK.

Not at all happy with several cheap moves on Bergy...Someone should have had to pay for that. Bergy was PISSED OFF as were the fans near me.:rant:

I didn't expect them to be good and they met my expectations :(

Sigh...I know they will improve...Right Scotto ?

a four sad face post- I think that is your record. bleak times ahead until the draft

good news is for 25 minutes they were very good

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I said in the summer when he was signed Irwin was Aaron Johnson redux. Nice for depth I guess but not a NHL caliber player.

McQuaid is looking more and more like the game is passing him by. Guys don't want to fight him, cause he's a legit tough dude. But I don't think he has the footspeed, decision-making, or passing ability required today. He used to live and die with D-to-D reverse pass behind the net. Now with teams sending two forecheckers after the B's D-men, he's compromised. That contract is going to be an issue going forward no question.

Trotman while I question his decision making at times I still see a skill-set that can translate into a decent NHL D-man.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just finished watching.. Can actually say I was impressed after the first period and even most of the second... Scoreboard made it look at worse than it was (sounds ridiculous in a 6-goal game). Rask made some great saves, but obviously he misses the structured defensive game the bruins are used to. Obviously something needs to galen to improve the d. They just can't go on like this.

I fear its gonna be a tough night on Saturday...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Rask had no chance tonight and made multiple huge saves on breakaways and guys that were in alone.

Jets 1 goal:
perfect shot --nobody to blame really.

Jets 2nd goal:
100% Irwin's fault. Coughs up the puck behind the net and it is 1-timed in. No chance for any goalie.

Jets 3rd goal:
Irwin and Trotman got worked for 20 seconds before this on the cycle and then Trotman stands in the crease like a useless git while the Jets pass through him 2x on the tic-tac-toe. No chance for any goalie.

Jets 4th goal:
Thorburn gets a little lucky on a breakaway. At this point the disaster pairing of Trotman-Irwin had been pulled apart and every other Dman was forced to try and carry them. This was the Jets 3rd time this game with a man in all-alone (Bruins had no similar chances) yet some people will blame Rask without giving him credit for the 4 other similar saves he made (1-1) this game. How did Thorburn get in alone? Irwin made an idiotic god-awful pinch where he was somehow down on the Jets GOAL LINE. Idiot.

Jets 5th goal:
Puck deflects off of players skate while he is standing in the crease. 0 chance for any goalie on that one.

Jets 6th goal:
"Rask shoulda had it crowd" will all agree on this one too (empty net goal).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Rask had no chance tonight and made multiple huge saves on breakaways and guys that were in alone.

Jets 1 goal:

Jets 2nd goal:
100% Irwin's fault. Coughs up the puck behind the net and it is 1-timed in. No chance for any goalie.

Jets 3rd goal:
Irwin and Trotman got worked for 20 seconds before this on the cycle and then Trotman stands in the crease like a useless git while the Jets pass through him 2x on the tic-tac-toe. No chance for any goalie.

Jets 4th goal:
Thorburn gets a little lucky on a breakaway. At this point the disaster pairing of Trotman-Irwin had been pulled apart and every other Dman was forced to try and carry them. This was the Jets 3rd time this game with a man in all-alone (Bruins had no similar chances) yet some people will blame Rask without giving him credit for the 4 other similar saves he made (1-1) this game. How did Thorburn get in alone? Irwin made an idiotic god-awful pinch where he was somehow down on the Jets GOAL LINE. Idiot.

Jets 5th goal:
Puck deflects off of players skate while he is standing in the crease. 0 chance for any goalie on that one.

Jets 6th goal:

On the third goal, I thought that was more on Irwin for covering nobody and Trotman having to cover two guys. I don't want to see Irwin again, but they are short on LHD until Chara is back.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tonight was a soft sellout that reminded me of the phantom Red Sox streak at the end.

TD was deathly quiet for long portions of the game tonight. It felt like 2007 again.

That said Winnipeg made the playoffs last year in a much tougher conference and division. I have had worried about this matchup for months.

Honestly I would prefer we play any of the other 28 teams on Saturday than Montreal and then Tampa 40 hours later.

I am very worried about this season now.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I jumped into my buds seats on the glass (he and wife showed up but she was due today:eek: so they came late and left early) but the play went up the ice and McQuaid wanted to fight Byfuglien for taking extra liberties and he wanted none of it. Wouldn't even look at McQuaid, yet when Pasta was down low, Big Buf had no problem cuffing him upside the head and giving him a smirk.

I know he has his fan club and I admit I used to be one of them but I'm doing a 180 he's a player picker with an eating disorder.

Feel free to defend him and love him him but I want no part of this guy. Let him go on his bacon and mayonnaise diet on someone else's dime (although you add some lettuce and tomato you got a nice BLT and sign me up)

Sounds pretty cowardly from Buff.

I won't defend him. I didn't want him here, mainly for the reason you allude to: I think he'd be a disaster in a long term contract. Year three, he shows up to camp at 320lbs or something.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Everyone knew this defense was trash and now we are seeing it for what it really is.

The pairings are Coyotes forwards bad.

Management wrecked this team and we are in for a long season of defensive gaffes even with the speed of Chara and Seidenberg back, haha.

Uh oh rebuilding is upon us and it is going to be another tough, painful, playoffless year.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015

Jets 1 goal:

Jets 2nd goal:

Jets 3rd goal:

Jets 4th goal:

Jets 5th goal:

Jets 6th goal:

Thank you, this game would have ended 8-1 for Winnipeg if the goalies had switched sides.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Why would Byfuglien fight McQuaid?

In what world does that make sense for Buff?

Name me all the other #1 Dmen that would take that fight and list them here please:

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Jets 4th goal:

Krejci actually tried chipping the puck off Thorburn, but put it over Rask's pad himself instead. Thorburn didn't even shoot the puck. That's just the night the Bruins were having with a guy like Matt Irwin playing like he was in the lineup.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I'm really tired right now so maybe I'm mis-remembering but was there any new guy that didn't suck tonight?

-Kemppainen, our savior on the 4th line could barely win a faceoff
-Hayes was -2 and didn't show much (which I totally expected)
-Rinaldo had 2 hits and nothing else in 12+ minutes (thanks Claude)
-Beleskey had an assist but he's proving every game that he's not a 1st line player
-Irwin... LOL (LOL)

I just don't understand how people keep complaining about how fans are pessimistic about the GM/coach this year. Hayes is going to flat out suck this season in my opinion and Beleskey isn't going to do too much better. Kemp is just another dime a dozen player and Irwin is a joke who people thought would be great because he had 1 good preseason game.

All that being said, I'm looking forward to watching most of the players from last year do their thing. I just feel horrible for them.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
The Bruins forwards need to give a big hug to the defense for laying such a obvious stinker that they are ignored...

No, this wasn't a good day for the offense either. They're paid to finish goals, easy goals, not look good.

That game should have been on cruise-control, dead and buried, after 1. But the offense missed 4-5 lay-ups. It could have easily...easily...been 5-0 after 1.

So many times last year we were left scratching our heads saying, "how did that puck not go in?"

"What an unlucky bounce."

Etc.

Excuses for lack of finish.

Seemed like deja-vu, all over again.

Tonight, it was at it's worst.

So, what do we have? An offense that didn't finish. A defense in way above it's head. And a goalie that is not going to play hero.

At least there's plenty of opportunity for improvement.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I'm really tired right now so maybe I'm mis-remembering but was there any new guy that didn't suck tonight?

-Kemppainen, our savior on the 4th line could barely win a faceoff
-Hayes was -2 and didn't show much (which I totally expected)
-Rinaldo had 2 hits and nothing else in 12+ minutes (thanks Claude)
-Beleskey had an assist but he's proving every game that he's not a 1st line player
-Irwin... LOL (LOL)

I just don't understand how people keep complaining about how fans are pessimistic about the GM/coach this year. Hayes is going to flat out suck this season in my opinion and Beleskey isn't going to do too much better. Kemp is just another dime a dozen player and Irwin is a joke who people thought would be great because he had 1 good preseason game.

All that being said, I'm looking forward to watching most of the players from last year do their thing. I just feel horrible for them.

Kemppainen had a rough night. Looked tentative and nervous.

Hayes, dont know what game you were watching, but he was everywhere, forcing turnovers, laying the body, shooting, passing, as I said, dunno what game you watched.

Beleskey had a few shots but other than that didn't do much, was involved in the plays but looked a passenger.

Rinaldo was very quiet, laid the body had 2 good hits and drew a penalty (should have easily drawn 2)

7bostonhockey*

The Bruins forwards need to give a big hug to the defense for laying such a obvious stinker that they are ignored...

No, this wasn't a good day for the offense either. They're paid to finish goals, easy goals, not look good.

That game should have been on cruise-control, dead and buried, after 1. But the offense missed 4-5 lay-ups. It could have easily...easily...been 5-0 after 1.

So many times last year we were left scratching our heads saying, "how did that puck not go in?"

"What an unlucky bounce."

Etc.

Excuses for lack of finish.

Seemed like deja-vu, all over again.

Tonight, it was at it's worst.

So, what do we have? An offense that didn't finish. A defense in way above it's head. And a goalie that is not going to play hero.

At least there's plenty of opportunity for improvement.

They made Pavelec look good.

Although he played behind that stacked defense.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad