GDT: 10/15/2019 Game 6: Detroit Red Wings @ Vancouver Canucks (10pm EST)

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Green and Daley were especially bad that game. Some of their turnovers were ridiculous.

Loved that play from Daley when Hronek was pinned along the boards. Send the puck to the guy pinned on the boards where he can't even move his stick, that will get the puck out from behind the net. *SMH*

Kinda sad the Detroit effort peaked in the first minute with Larkin's nice goal.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Remember in like the last GDT when someone was talking about how bad Dekeyser was and how he should just play anywhere else but here? Yeah, this is a good example of why Dekeyser is an important cog in this machine, as poor of a machine as it may be.

Because anecdotal evidence is paramount

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quite nice example what happens, when DeKeyser is off from the roster.

Just look at those goals. Free party in front of the net. Hronek won't play those sticks away etc.

Reactions: 14ari13

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How bad was Green? Was he involved one way or another in every goal against? I skimmed through the game but every time something bad happened he seemed to be there.

Nice goal by first unit but that was about it for this game.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
How bad was Green? Was he involved one way or another in every goal against? I skimmed through the game but every time something bad happened he seemed to be there.

Pretty bad, the way he handled the puck was horrible. Outside of Hronek, everyone back there sucked, but Green sucked even more so.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

He seemed to just not be mentally into the game at all. The idea of just seeming to be there when everything happened is pretty accurate. He was physically on the ice, and he (we assume) managed to get his own skates laced for the game. That was about it.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Hey, this is what we all wanted when we called for a rebuild. It's not going to be pretty most nights.
Totally understand. Just harder to watch on nights like these, when our 2nd and 3rd lines just disappear.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He was never a smart player and has a habit of lazy stupid passes, but it seems to be worse now. Seems like his head is not in the game at all, I'm wondering if his illness has something to do with it.

I would bet if it's anything, it's his 2nd kid that's due sometime next month.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He seemed to just not be mentally into the game at all. The idea of just seeming to be there when everything happened is pretty accurate. He was physically on the ice, and he (we assume) managed to get his own skates laced for the game. That was about it.

This is why...it always killed me when Blashill would call out AA and Mantha, while Green and Vanek loafed around the ice.

It looked like Green mailed it in last night. Maybe he didn't. Maybe it just looked like it. But he didn't look like someone who gave a shit.

I also think it's clear why Nemeth was a scratch in Colorado. Starting to feel like 2 years was a year too long on that deal.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is why...it always killed me when Blashill would call out AA and Mantha, while Green and Vanek loafed around the ice.

It looked like Green mailed it in last night. Maybe he didn't. Maybe it just looked like it. But he didn't look like someone who gave a ****.

I also think it's clear why Nemeth was a scratch in Colorado. Starting to feel like 2 years was a year too long on that deal.

In Green’s defense, he never looks like someone who gives a shit.

I think Nemeth would be a solid partner for someone who isn’t a complete disaster. Like give him time with someone like Seider and I feel like his game would be elevated. Let Seider be the player he is, which is aggressive and maybe a tad wild, and Nemeth can fall into a steady, stay at home role. If you throw him with someone incapable of doing the absolute basics like Green was last night, he’s going to look out of place.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
In Green’s defense, he never looks like someone who gives a ****.

I think Nemeth would be a solid partner for someone who isn’t a complete disaster. Like give him time with someone like Seider and I feel like his game would be elevated. Let Seider be the player he is, which is aggressive and maybe a tad wild, and Nemeth can fall into a steady, stay at home role. If you throw him with someone incapable of doing the absolute basics like Green was last night, he’s going to look out of place.

I don't know man. I've been surprised with his physical play on the boards and in front. I've seen him look like he can skate the puck up with ease.
I think Green's effort level has been a constant factor in his career, which is why he was the Caps 5th defense at the end of his run there.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't know man. I've been surprised with his physical play on the boards and in front. I've seen him look like he can skate the puck up with ease.
I think Green's effort level has been a constant factor in his career, which is why he was the Caps 5th defense at the end of his run there.

Another reason for Green's fall with the Cap's was his bone-headed penalties he took (esp. late in the 3rd period).

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Still perplexed were relying on Hirose for zone entries on pp1. That’s just bad coaching plain and simple. It’s absolutely destroying our first unit.

Who was the last prospect who got this kind of treatment without earning it?
I mean, straight to line 2 and the PP.
Larkin? He started with Zetterberg and Abby, I believe. Maybe 2nd unit PP.

Blashill loves his NCAA kids.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

He was especially bad.

He had quite a few bad giveaways, and took a few lazy penalties where Detroit got smoked.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I get that Green had a bad game, and really the whole team wasn't great at all, other than the first 30 seconds, however to me it seems like a lot is on Bernier. The goals against weren't all his fault, but two things I notice when he plays, the puck just seems to go in really easy off not great offensive chances. Secondly, it seems like he can't stop any puck that is a remotely dangerous not really his fault type of goal. Sometimes you need your goalie to make a few difficult saves and he seems to do this almost never. Also the first 3 penalty calls against us were some of the softest penalties I have seen in awhile and do really mess up the flow of the game, when 1 team keeps getting these calls. I get in a game if the refs are calling everything, then do so for both team, don't just pick on one. Vancouver did just as many light infractions as us, and weren't getting called in the early portion of the game.

Hirose doesn't just need to sit, he needs to go to Grand Rapids, as he is Tatar or Nyquist lite, and is playing poorly as that version. Way too perimeter in his play, and honestly doesn't do much out there at all.

Having said all that, this is one of the first really dull games in a long season, watching a largely not fun team to watch. If line 1 isn't out there we are not fun to watch really at all.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Another reason for Green's fall with the Cap's was his bone-headed penalties he took (esp. late in the 3rd period).

Meh, Green's penalties in this game were bologna nothing calls. He played bad no doubt, but the penalties were on terrible refs.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Game was just a mindful reminder of our need to accumulate moar talent. I'm not hoping for the #1. But I hope we secure a #2-3 pick, #4 at the latest.

I am a strong proponent of building down the middle c and d wise. I would love to have Byfield. Having our top 3 lines centered by him and Veleno and Larkin would set us up.

Then pick up a ufa #3-4 d man and wait for about 2-3 more years of drafting d and a winger and hopefully that rights the ship.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In Green’s defense, he never looks like someone who gives a ****.

Green better start looking like he give a poop, otherwise he's probably looking at retirement after this season. He's the worst looking defender on the team with the worst D. I don't see him going to Europe with his health issues and another kid coming.

Nemeth let a guy skate behind him on one of the ES goals, there's not a defender in the world that can compensate for a mistake like that. Stevie is going to need to buy or trade for a steady LD this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00