GDT: 10/15/2019 Game 6: Detroit Red Wings @ Vancouver Canucks (10pm EST)

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
10.15.png

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
1st line and 4th line are doing great. Put the rest of the players in a blender and see what comes out. I'd prefer not to have AA as center, though, let him wheel and deal.

Reactions: ealong59

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
1st line and 4th line are doing great. Put the rest of the players in a blender and see what comes out. I'd prefer not to have AA as center, though, let him wheel and deal.

I'd prefer not to have him as center because he sucks at faceoffs. Might be small sample size, but he got beat like a drum and it directly led to a couple goals last time out.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'd prefer not to have him as center because he sucks at faceoffs. Might be small sample size, but he got beat like a drum and it directly led to a couple goals last time out.

He also needs to trust his line mates more. He kills a lot of offensive zone possession by holding onto the puck and trying to do too much. Just pass the puck, man...

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit

I have to agree; center doesn't fit his skill set. He's the kind of winger that anticipates a defense to offense transition and uses his speed to attack the other team. The center-man has too many defensive responsibilities and usually is behind the drive. AA should be in a position that creates the drive.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He also needs to trust his line mates more. He kills a lot of offensive zone possession by holding onto the puck and trying to do too much. Just pass the puck, man...

I think he'd be foolish to trust his linemates.
His linemates are Hirose and Glendening.
AA has rarely touched the puck in the neutral zone - a direct reflection of how poorly the defense moves the puck and how poor his linemates are at getting him the puck.

That's how Glendog and Hirose got their assists last year.
If the defense and wingers can't do that, then you're asking AA to do it all himself from his own zone.
Or, you're asking AA to wait until the linemates get possession in the Ozone - which just doesn't happen.

Glendening should not be on a line with a 30-goal man.
Hirose should probably not be in the NHL.

So what are the options?
It would be dumb to break up the BLM line.

Filppula seems like a good idea, to some degree. I'd love to see Svech there too.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
AA has rarely touched the puck in the neutral zone - a direct reflection of how poorly the defense moves the puck and how poor his linemates are at getting him the puck.

If the defense and wingers can't do that, then you're asking AA to do it all himself from his own zone.
Or, you're asking AA to wait until the linemates get possession in the Ozone - which just doesn't happen.

So what are the options?

Filppula seems like a good idea, to some degree. I'd love to see Svech there too.

You just love to talk about "30 goal man" like he's the second coming of Brett Hull. Athanasiou has yet to be anything more than a middle six, matchup nightmare. And he will get paid for it. But give it a f***ing rest.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

Fil has 1 SOG in 5 games. Glendening has 9.

LGD has 14 hits on the year. Fil has 0.

Meanwhile, if AA was as positionally sound as Fil, he'd have a lot more of those neutral zone touches you're blaming on everyone else that has been healthier and played better than AA so far.

Reactions: Winger98

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

So what are the options?

If you want more possession from AA's linemates, I think putting him with Filppula and Nieslen would be a good move. Both are good in their own end and still have some offensive ability. They may not have an elite forechecker, but I think they could play a cycle game really well.
Then you could try and recreate the formula of the 4th line with Erne - Ehn - Glendening

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I know you are generally the man with the tweets from the beat reporters and organization. Can you share the lines for tonight? I'd check myself but I'm up north for work visiting a plant with a tin building with no service and an IT group that likes to police web traffic to social media sites.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You just love to talk about "30 goal man" like he's the second coming of Brett Hull. Athanasiou has yet to be anything more than a middle six, matchup nightmare. And he will get paid for it. But give it a ****ing rest.
Last year AA scored 27 ES goals.

In 08/09, Hossa scored 30. Since then, the closest to achieving that were Larkin and Hudler with 23. That's how rare goalscoring like AA has been for us.

I think it's reasonable to discuss taking advantage of a talent like that by giving him better linemates than Hirose and Glendening.

The most assists Glendening has EVER had in a year was 13.

I like Hirose but not gonna argue he's done anything to deserve being attached to a 27-ES-goal scorer.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Last year AA scored 27 ES goals.

In 08/09, Hossa scored 30. Since then, the closest to achieving that were Larkin and Hudler with 23. That's how rare goalscoring like AA has been for us.

I think it's reasonable to discuss taking advantage of a talent like that by giving him better linemates than Hirose and Glendening.

The most assists Glendening has EVER had in a year was 13.

I like Hirose but not gonna argue he's done anything to deserve being attached to a 27-ES-goal scorer.

Unless you are going to convince Yzerman to change the organizational decision to keep the young talent in GR this year, there is no scenario where more talent is available to play with Athanasiou. Svechnikov is being sent down to play top minutes, so who is a substantial upgrade?

Are you going to flip Hirose with Erne or Filppula? Are you going to swap Glendening with Nielsen or De La Rose or Ehn? Putting shit colored lipstick on a pig.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I know you are generally the man with the tweets from the beat reporters and organization. Can you share the lines for tonight? I'd check myself but I'm up north for work visiting a plant with a tin building with no service and an IT group that likes to police web traffic to social media sites.
From NHL.tv

Red Wings projected lineup

Tyler Bertuzzi -- Dylan Larkin -- Anthony Mantha
Luke Glendening -- Andreas Athanasiou -- Taro Hirose
Valtteri Filppula -- Frans Nielsen -- Adam Erne
Darren Helm -- Jacob de la Rose -- Justin Abdelkader
Patrik Nemeth -- Mike Green
Danny DeKeyser -- Filip Hronek
Dennis Cholowski -- Alex Biega
Jonathan Bernier

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Unless you are going to convince Yzerman to change the organizational decision to keep the young talent in GR this year, there is no scenario where more talent is available to play with Athanasiou. Svechnikov is being sent down to play top minutes, so who is a substantial upgrade?

Are you going to flip Hirose with Erne or Filppula? Are you going to swap Glendening with Nielsen or De La Rose or Ehn? Putting **** colored lipstick on a pig.
Look. I agree with you. I'm actually more or less fine with the line right now. With the caveat that I really really hope to get better players soon.

I'm just saying when your best goalscorer in a decade is paired with a 13-assist guy and an undrafted rookie, the discussion is definitely worth having, and I don't blame VlikeF at all for making these points.

Reactions: HIFE

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Look. I agree with you. I'm actually more or less fine with the line right now. With the caveat that I really really hope to get better players soon.

I'm just saying when your best goalscorer in a decade is paired with a 13-assist guy and an undrafted rookie, the discussion is definitely worth having, and I don't blame VlikeF at all for making these points.

The 13-assist guy is also the guy who not only has been the more dangerous player this year, but is also the crutch that supports AA's various shortcomings when the puck isn't on his stick rushing up the ice. Hirose I have no problem with questioning, and I agree he should probably be on the bus to GR.

Listen, we all want to see AA at his best because it's exciting as hell and legitimately helps his team, but maybe he should play like the best player on his current line and not be outplayed by a 13-assist grinder on a nightly basis before we start the discussion of bending over backwards to put better linemates around him.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
The 13-assist guy is also the guy who not only has been the more dangerous player this year, but is also the crutch that supports AA's various shortcomings when the puck isn't on his stick rushing up the ice. Hirose I have no problem with questioning, and I agree he should probably be on the bus to GR.

Listen, we all want to see AA at his best because it's exciting as hell and legitimately helps his team, but maybe he should play like the best player on his current line and not be outplayed by a 13-assist grinder on a nightly basis before we start the discussion of bending over backwards to put better linemates around him.
Honestly I'm not all that invested in this argument but I enjoy looking up stats for context. So just to throw this out there: Last year, 83% (327/393) of regular NHL forwards produced more assists per minute than 29-year-old Luke Glendening.

It's just a stat, do with it whatever you like.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Honestly I'm not all that invested in this argument but I enjoy looking up stats for context. So just to throw this out there: Last year, 83% (327/393) of regular NHL forwards produced more assists per minute than 29-year-old Luke Glendening.

It's just a stat, do with it whatever you like.

Thanks for the stat. It’s really useful in seeing that Glendening has been a better player this year.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Thanks for the stat. It’s really useful in seeing that Glendening has been a better player this year.
Thanks for the sarcasm, it's almost as helpful as the 5-game sample size has been in determining that a 30-year-old has suddenly made a miraculous transformation.

And he's still our worst forward in assists per minute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad