Brooklyn & Upstate
It all fell onto his chin.

hqdefault.jpg
i
I resemble that remark.

Reactions: Machinehead

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I'm not sure how it's "delusional to think" that Buffalo had 23 scoring chances when that's what the stats say. The score doesn't always tell the whole story. Just because we won by a fair margin does not mean it's crazy to think they had a lot of scoring chances. If anything, it makes perfect sense: a team gets up by a wide margin and the other team is desperate and taking chances and putting on pressure trying to get back in the game.
While I wholeheartedly agree with the second part of this thought,... it is insane to think Buffalo had that many quality chances. Don't know where you are getting that 23 scoring chances, but it so wrong. It's rare any team gets that many good chances. And if it were true, Buffalo would have won this game. This stat, wherever it comes from, is way off base. It is definitely not the quality chances coaches talk about in pressers.

You can easily watch the game and count on your fingers how many good chances any team has. And as I have mentioned, and you alluded to, in high scoring events those numbers go up. There's more to good play, like a strong forecheck, force turnovers, take away time and space, that they excelled at in this game. They were like a wet tee shirt and stifled Buffalo.

We played well against TB, don't get me wrong. It was a strong effort, even if we wouldn't' have pulled it out with 7 minutes left. But we were in full control vs Buffalo.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
In full control vs Buffalo? I'm going to have to disagree.

20192020-20147-cfdiff-5v5.png

20192020-20147-5v5.png

Yes, it was a good game. Outside of the first half of the second period, it was a rather even-ish back and forth between the teams. The only real difference in that game was...Hutton. Not the overall team strength.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I know it’s not what everyone envisioned by I’m actually really liking Smith and Andersson as a tandem. I think they’re having a good time together, and are always looking to make the most of their minutes.

That was one of the best games I’ve ever seen Chytil play.

Staal needs to be the 7D.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I know it’s not what everyone envisioned by I’m actually really liking Smith and Andersson as a tandem. I think they’re having a good time together, and are always looking to make the most of their minutes.

That was one of the best games I’ve ever seen Chytil play.
I agree, but Twitter and sometimes HF keep telling me that Smith is bad because he's a defenseman playing as a forward.

Or something like that...

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
I agree, but Twitter and sometimes HF keep telling me that Smith is bad because he's a defenseman playing as a forward.
Or something like that...

Smith deserves a lot of credit for what he's doing right now. Sure, he likely has little choice if he wants to remain a Ranger, but his ability to credibly perform at forward, after being a defenseman his entire career, should be recognized.

Deleted member 23124

Smith deserves a lot of credit for what he's doing right now. Sure, he likely has little choice if he wants to remain a Ranger, but his ability to credibly perform at forward, after being a defenseman his entire career, should be recognized.

Playing forward is not something new...He actually played forward before reaching the NHL. He also played forward for the Red Wings.

"Smith had 22 goals and 85 points in 66 games as a forward with a AAA team, the Toronto Marlboros, in 2004-05." (Quoted from: Red Wings' Brendan Smith views temporary move to forward as opportunity to help, not demotion)

Reactions: egelband

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston

I read some stuff about how his brother Reilly helped him work on his forward skills over the summer

Reactions: egelband

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
In full control vs Buffalo? I'm going to have to disagree.

20192020-20147-cfdiff-5v5.png

20192020-20147-5v5.png

Yes, it was a good game. Outside of the first half of the second period, it was a rather even-ish back and forth between the teams. The only real difference in that game was...Hutton. Not the overall team strength.
I have no idea what these graphs represent. Including those Corsi figures thrown out occasionally. I have good reason to believe they are flawed.

Bottom line; Rangers were learning to play with the lead vs Buffalo. And passed with flying colors. Don't think for a moment that had no effect late in crunch time against TB when we took the lead. They kept the pressure on, and did not fall back into a prevent D. Where do you think they learned that?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have no idea what these graphs represent. Including those Corsi figures thrown out. I have good reason to believe they are flawed.

Bottom line; Rangers were learning to play with the lead vs Buffalo. And passed with flying colors. Don't think for a moment that had no effect late in crunch time against TB when we took the lead. They kept the pressure on, and did not fall back into a prevent D. Where do you think they learned that?
Saying something is flawed because you don't understand it is a really bad take.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I have no idea what these graphs represent. Including those Corsi figures thrown out occasionally. I have good reason to believe they are flawed.

How can you have good reason to believe something is flawed when you don't know what it represents?

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Saying something is flawed because you don't understand it is a really bad take.
Like you never assumed some shit was iffy :laugh: I agree tho I’m not sure it’s flawed but I’ve been on a circumstance where I looked at some shit like that ain’t right and it was right.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
There's more to this game, that can't possibly be represented on graphs. What I meant to say was,... I don't know what those graphs mean., but the Corsi figures I know are fatally flawed in their design.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY

You pretty much just said “ I don’t understand this... therefore it must be flawed.”
I’m not trying to pick on you... but you have to admit that that’s some “flawed” logic. Haha

Reactions: Krams and ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
You pretty much just said “ I don’t understand this... therefore it must be flawed.”
I’m not trying to pick on you... but you have to admit that that’s some “flawed” logic. Haha
I explained what I meant, one post above yours.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
"The other Corsi figures I know"

There is only one Corsi measurement.

There are no "other Corsi figures"

You don't know what you're talking about. By most "eye test" accounts and analytic measurements, the Rangers did not have "full control" of the Sabres game lmao. They did have the xGF edge by a small margin, sure. I will give you that. But not enough to asse "full control."

Anyway, back to this game. It was awesome. I hope we do it again on Saturday.

Reactions: Rongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad