Post-Game Talk: #10 - 10/29/19 | lightning @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Starting to sound like it might be a concussion despite the denials.

its possible but thats completely jumping to a conclusion...there are ton of injuries that would keep a guy out for a week that aren't concussions. we don't know what the problem is...for all we know he's got a broken rib or something.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
is he a great player? no but we are a rebuilding team and he's been a good veteran to help during the transition process...
He is a former top-5 pick whose career seemingly bottomed out a few years later. He needed to rebuild it and reinvent himself. All things being equal, sounds like the type of vet that a team with this many young kids can use.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I think this is the most details we've gotten on Mika so far...saying its his neck

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
He is a former top-5 pick whose career seemingly bottomed out a few years later. He needed to rebuild it and reinvent himself. All things being equal, sounds like the type of vet that a team with this many young kids can use.

agreed completely...and as a former top-5 pick that struggled early in his career and had to deal with being on a bad team in edmonton. he knows what veterans did to help him and also what things, in hindsight, he wishes vets had done to help him...and same can be said about Mika early in his career.

if you are now one of the young guys coming in with high expectations and you struggle, it has got to help that you can look across the locker room and know that ryan strome was me 7-8 years ago, so he knows what I'm going thru.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The ones who consistently get screwed by the schedule are the West Coast teams. Rangers have it easy compared to them.

Well yeah, because they have to physically travel longer distances, sure.

Doesn’t take away from the crime that is this team’s schedule to start the season though. If we were a contender it would be a much bigger issue.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

I think this is the most details we've gotten on Mika so far...saying its his neck

Concussions can have weird symptoms. Didn't Crosby have neck issues for a while which was misdiagnosed? After it didn't get better after a month or two they finally redid the tests and realized it was concussion based symptoms causing his neck issue. It's like everyone is always just so happy it's not the head/concussion, they close the case and wait for the player to get ready. No one wants to rock the boat and use the C word, especially if there's a history already and everyone's already focused on the elephant in the room. Hopefully Zbad just has a stiff neck, but the longer it goes on for the more concerned I will get.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Concussions can have weird symptoms. Didn't Crosby have neck issues for a while which was misdiagnosed? After it didn't get better after a month or two they finally redid the tests and realized it was concussion based symptoms causing his neck issue. It's like everyone is always just so happy it's not the head/concussion, they close the case and wait for the player to get ready. No one wants to rock the boat and use the C word, especially if there's a history already and everyone's already focused on the elephant in the room. Hopefully Zbad just has a stiff neck, but the longer it goes on for the more concerned I will get.
I believe you have that backwards. Crosby had neck/vertebrae issues that were misdiagnosed as concussion problems.

Reactions: romba

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
its possible but thats completely jumping to a conclusion...there are ton of injuries that would keep a guy out for a week that aren't concussions. we don't know what the problem is...for all we know he's got a broken rib or something.

Didn't jump to any conclusion. Said it might be.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Well yeah, because they have to physically travel longer distances, sure.

Doesn’t take away from the crime that is this team’s schedule to start the season though. If we were a contender it would be a much bigger issue.

It wouldn't be a bigger issue for anyone. It's never been a big issue that I can remember. It's 3 weeks out of 6 months. It's a non-issue and of no impact on the season.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
If you have questions about it, just ask rather than writing it all off because you don't understand it.
I don't have questions about it. Just was wondering how anyone came up with 23 scoring chances against, when we cruised to a 6-2 victory. You wish to make a graph or some analytical probabilities, be my guest. I just don't see the need to make it complicated,.. when all you need to determine quality scoring chances is knowing how to count using your fingers.

I used to make rosters for EA Sports NHL. So I am quite familiar with probabilities. But this is just overkill,. determining what kind of scoring chances. It's simple, there are quality scoring chances and there is everything else. There is no need to break it down further.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23124

Why can't they just tell us what he has? This whole upper/lower body thing is peak hockey.
I remember there were times whenteams (in NHL, NBA and NFL) would not disclose the exact nature of an injury so that opposing teams would not target wounded area...I always suspected it was the same today.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I just don't see the need to make it complicated,.. when all you need to determine quality scoring chances is knowing how to count using your fingers.
Then you'd understand why the Sabres had 23 scoring chances against. :facepalm:

It's not entirely as simple as just counting on fingers, but it's pretty damn close. If you want to do analytics solely using fingers and toes and no extra math, then Corsi and Fenwick are up your alley because that is literally all you need to do to figure those out.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I remember there were times whenteams (in NHL, NBA and NFL) would not disclose the exact nature of an injury so that opposing teams would not target wounded area...I always suspected it was the same today.
I feel like that's archaic thinking at this point.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Then you'd understand why the Sabres had 23 scoring chances against. :facepalm:

It's not entirely as simple as just counting on fingers, but it's pretty damn close. If you want to do analytics solely using fingers and toes and no extra math, then Corsi and Fenwick are up your alley because that is literally all you need to do to figure those out.
They did not have 23 quality chances. Repeating it does not make it factual. All it does is mislead and twist the narrative. Is that your point?

Do you really want us to believe that while we thoroughly beat Buffalo, they actually shelled us with 23 scoring chances? LOL

Do you know how stupid that sounds? It's truly an impossibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad