3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
There is only one Corsi measurement.
There are no "other Corsi figures"
You don't know what you're talking about.

Ugh! You know what plural means. Corsi figures as in more than one, you know like there are more than one player on a team... Geez

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Analytics are what has Toronto unable to get over the hump because analytics dont measure game to game intimidation, opponent size and physicality, or basically anything that has to do with what a player does vs a bigger more physically intimidating player not to mention the style change that occurs in playoffs. It just points you to skilled players who get a lot of points during the regular season or a guy who plays safe hockey. Claude Lemieux would be an analytical nightmare during the regular season. There isnt a team that wouldnt take his playoff abilities. Analytics are a tool but they dont tell much of a story game to game vs different opponents.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I agree, but Twitter and sometimes HF keep telling me that Smith is bad because he's a defenseman playing as a forward.

Or something like that...

I thought people were saying something like "man he was terrible as a defensemen, so they moved him to forward as a last resort, and he's doing sort of ok on a sort of ok team".

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Analytics are what has Toronto unable to get over the hump because analytics dont measure game to game intimidation, opponent size and physicality, or basically anything that has to do with what a player does vs a bigger more physically intimidating player not to mention the style change that occurs in playoffs. It just points you to skilled players who get a lot of points during the regular season or a guy who plays safe hockey. Claude Lemieux would be an analytical nightmare during the regular season. There isnt a team that wouldnt take his playoff abilities. Analytics are a tool but they dont tell much of a story game to game vs different opponents.

The real truth about the analytics is it's just more bullshit for fans to waste too much time on.

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Whipping boy to me means disproportionate or undeserved critisisms i.e. Roszival.

Staal gets critiqued because his performance to contract ratio is bottom five in the league

Reactions: Machinehead

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
xGF is a little bit better. That said, you can still inflate xGF just by doing a lot of useless corsi.

Although I will say that 10% is probably about accurate tbh. That's a .900 save percentage. You're not holding a job in the NHL with a .900 save percentage.

So yeah, if an NHL goalie is stopping it 9/10 times, it's probably a scoring chance.
I feel like many fans think of scoring chance as like a 30% or higher chance of going in. But that's pretty much a half open net these days with the modern goalie's ability to recover and get across in time (unless it's roofed, more often than not). I'd say a 10% chance of going in is a bit low but not that crazy. A few percentage points make the difference for me, but this is very subjective.

Reactions: Machinehead

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I am not so sure Staal gets criticized because of his contract. If he was on a league min deal he should still be criticized the same. It's not like he is playing well but is overpaid like say...Derek Stepan maybe.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The league average shooting percentage at 5v5 this year is 8.3%. The league average shooting percentage at 5v5 for forwards is 10.1% If you have a stat declaring something 10% as a scoring chance your stat is wrong. You're basically saying the average shot is a scoring chance. Absolute nonsense. Not saying the stat doesn't correlate to future goals better than something else but the name of your stat is misleading.

Reactions: romba

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The league average shooting percentage at 5v5 this year is 8.3%. The league average shooting percentage at 5v5 for forwards is 10.1% If you have a stat declaring something 10% as a scoring chance your stat is wrong. You're basically saying the average shot is a scoring chance. Absolute nonsense. Not saying the stat doesn't correlate to future goals better than something else but the name of your stat is misleading.
That number factors in a lot of really bad shooters though. Good forwards can and do shoot higher than that and they're shooting higher because they're creating better chances.

You do bring up a valid point. I was just making the point that I don't think 10% for the low bar of what's considered a scoring chance is outrageous, but that is the low bar.

And a lot of analytics people have taken issue with scoring chances because they have a binning issue. For those who don't know (I know you do), a "binning" issue in statistics refers to putting very different results into the same broadly defined bin. That is to say, a 10% scoring chance is in the same bin as a 30-40% scoring chance, so you're absolutely right to say it's misleading.

I just think there's a tendency to overrate or inflate what constitutes a scoring chance. Not every scoring chance is a particularly good one.

Reactions: SA16

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Whipping boy to me means disproportionate or undeserved critisisms i.e. Roszival.

Staal gets critiqued because his performance to contract ratio is bottom five in the league
Exactly this.

Being really bad and people thinking you're really bad is not a whipping boy.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That number factors in a lot of really bad shooters though. Good forwards can and do shoot higher than that and they're shooting higher because they're creating better chances.

You do bring up a valid point. I was just making the point that I don't think 10% for the low bar of what's considered a scoring chance is outrageous, but that is the low bar.

And a lot of analytics people have taken issue with scoring chances because they have a binning issue. For those who don't know (I know you do), a "binning" issue in statistics refers to putting very different results into the same broadly defined bin. That is to say, a 10% scoring chance is in the same bin as a 30-40% scoring chance, so you're absolutely right to say it's misleading.

I just think there's a tendency to overrate or inflate what constitutes a scoring chance. Not every scoring chance is a particularly good one.

I guess I would say if it's not a "good" scoring chance then I personally would not consider it a scoring chance. To me HDCF is more of actual scoring chances and SCF is basically just shots excluding dmen shooting from far out.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I guess I would say if it's not a "good" scoring chance then I personally would not consider it a scoring chance. To me HDCF is more of actual scoring chances and SCF is basically just shots excluding dmen shooting from far out.
I think that's a fair take. One can't miss chance moves the needle more than 7 or 8 decent ones. That's why it's so hard to quantify hockey.

I think the next wave of analytics is going to be puck-based and player-based stuff.

Soccer has a similar problem where we all kind of know what a scoring chance is but it's very difficult to put in concrete terms and impossible to rank one better than the next. So what they're doing instead, is focusing on the ball and the player. It's hard to quantify chances, but we can quantify things that would reasonably lead to or prevents chances -- passes that beat defenders, dribbles that beat defenders, areal battles, tackles and interceptions as well as tackles and interceptions in prime areas, defenders drawn out of position.

It would be cool to see the same in hockey. It's hard to say how good a "chance" is but if we can say how many board battles a player won or how many times a game his passes beat a defenseman, we can reasonably conclude that he's driving chances.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I think that's a fair take. One can't miss chance moves the needle more than 7 or 8 decent ones. That's why it's so hard to quantify hockey.

I think the next wave of analytics is going to be puck-based and player-based stuff.

Soccer has a similar problem where we all kind of know what a scoring chance is but it's very difficult to put in concrete terms and impossible to rank one better than the next. So what they're doing instead, is focusing on the ball and the player. It's hard to quantify chances, but we can quantify things that would reasonably lead to or prevents chances -- passes that beat defenders, dribbles that beat defenders, areal battles, tackles and interceptions as well as tackles and interceptions in prime areas, defenders drawn out of position.

It would be cool to see the same in hockey. It's hard to say how good a "chance" is but if we can say how many board battles a player won or how many times a game his passes beat a defenseman, we can reasonably conclude that he's driving chances.
What you say is definitely true and would be wonderful to track but once the puck and players are tracked via chip we should be able to quantify scoring chances themselves better. Exact release point, nearest defender distance from puck, traffic between the goalie and release point, puck trajectory, and speed of the shot should be quantifiable. Or at least I hope it will be!

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
seeing Strome's career as anything other than a consistent tweener disappointment is rose colored glasses lmao
There's nothing consistent about Strome until he came here. He's a middle 6 player possibly figuring it out.

Maybe I was never as high on Stepan as others but they're in the same tier for me.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
There's nothing consistent about Strome until he came here. He's a middle 6 player possibly figuring it out.

Maybe I was never as high on Stepan as others but they're in the same tier for me.
He consistently gets a point a game

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad