OT: 10,000 Pt XLII - The Bouncing Turd

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
The Spyro Reignited Trilogy is the bees knees. Beat all the games 100% in 3 days and started up another playthrough of the 1st game. Nearly done with that one

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I would be more supportive of it if the live action Deathnote had not been so absolutely terrible.

They tried to do too much for a movie. This being a series, I'm going to give it an open mind.

Besides, Bebop only had a few good episodes. I feel far too many people put it on a pedestal due to it being the only good thing on Toonami for a long time. My opinion, of course.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I would be more supportive of it if the live action Deathnote had not been so absolutely terrible.

I'd be all for it if anything translated from anime to live action didn't end up awful. Fold in western cartoon adaptations as well and the track record is abysmal.

And really it's not even just western adaptations. Japan has a crap track record of anime-to-live-action as well. I've seen their efforts for Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach and they were both awful. There's just something about taking the fluidity, expressiveness, and freedom of expression that the animated medium provides and trying to put it into the constraints of live action.

I'd be especially concerned about where they go with Ed and Ein, because I can see some stuffy Hollywood execs looking at the concept of those characters and saying they need to be changed. Like taking away Ed's crazy and then making Ein talk or some nonsense.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I'd be all for it if anything translated from anime to live action didn't end up awful. Fold in western cartoon adaptations as well and the track record is abysmal.

And really it's not even just western adaptations. Japan has a crap track record of anime-to-live-action as well. I've seen their efforts for Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach and they were both awful. There's just something about taking the fluidity, expressiveness, and freedom of expression that the animated medium provides and trying to put it into the constraints of live action.

I'd be especially concerned about where they go with Ed and Ein, because I can see some stuffy Hollywood execs looking at the concept of those characters and saying they need to be changed. Like taking away Ed's crazy and then making Ein talk or some nonsense.

You guys should watch the 2006 Death Note live action (and Part 2). That movie is really good and the ending is so much better than the anime. There are even dubbed versions with the US Death Note anime VAs (which I thought the anime did a good job casting).

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
So wait, the gnashing of teeth is just for US versions? I guess that makes sense.

I like a lot of the Japanese L-A adaptations and couldn't see what the hard gripe was about. Seemed like another Ghostbusters "mah nostalgia!!" situation.

I'm still waiting for the L-A Robotech with that McGuire chap. My hopes have been up for a long while. Yes, the evil Robotech instead of Macross.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You guys should watch the 2006 Death Note live action (and Part 2). That movie is really good and the ending is so much better than the anime. There are even dubbed versions with the US Death Note anime VAs (which I thought the anime did a good job casting).

I didn't like Death Note to begin with, so I'm kind of out of luck there to begin with.

So wait, the gnashing of teeth is just for US versions? I guess that makes sense.

I like a lot of the Japanese L-A adaptations and couldn't see what the hard gripe was about. Seemed like another Ghostbusters "mah nostalgia!!" situation.

I'm still waiting for the L-A Robotech with that McGuire chap. My hopes have been up for a long while. Yes, the evil Robotech instead of Macross.

In fairness, I hated new Ghostbusters because I didn't find it funny (and actually found it annoying in how unfunny I felt it was. And I like at least half of the people cast in it who weren't Kate McKinnon), not because I thought it was violating my nostalgic love of the original movies.

and as an aside, re: the Robotech/Macross thing, I have no issue with altered dubs that manage to do something constructive with the material given (one of my favorite all-time series is Samurai Pizza Cats, which just might be the only time that the US out-Japan'd Japan in terms of taking something and making it super, super, super weird, but in a good way). I've always been on the "wrong" side of western anime adaptations though. I was always absolutely cool with decent dubs even when the prevailing weeb sentiment was "OMG you have to watch it in the traditional Japanese to fully understand the complexity of the characterizations" (followed closely by "OMG you have to read the illegal scanlations online instead of official releases because only true fans grasped the correct tone and maturity of the source" by which they meant "I love that Dragonball fan translation where even 5-year-old Gohan swears like a longshoreman)

In the end, with any adaptation I always worry that something of the soul of the original is sacrificed in service to its new masters, often in a way that comes about because a bunch of corporate suits or an over-confident writer thinks that they can take a very popular thing and make it "better" via their own spin on it. But by the time you get to the end of it, you're basically watching something that bears only the most superficial resemblance to what it originated from. It's why the Ghost in the Shell movie sucked. It's why Dragonball Evolution sucked (even understanding that it was culled from the very thematically different OG Dragonball and not Z), it's why the Matthew Broderick Godzilla sucked, It's why the Transformers movies have progressively gotten worse, etc. I want to feel like I'm watching something done by people who loved the original and wanted to do something respectful of it. Not people who think that they have to paint over everything with their own brushes to make sure that the new audience 'gets' it in the right way.). It doesn't need slavish devotion to the source as long as it feels like it was handled with care (because too much slavish devotion is how you end up with Watchmen. A perfectly fine movie that ultimately has some serious problems because it spends about 3 hours recreating ~60% of the graphic novel, meaning that you constantly kind of feel like things are being rushed along or left out if you don't already know how the pieces fit together. Though, I will credit them for a much more interesting, and dare I say sensible, ending than Moore's original alien space squid thing)

In the end, maybe Cowboy Bebop surprises me. It's just that it's so much of a style-over-substance series that I fear for them wrecking the style in order to to make it appeal to a broader western audience because some suits think that they can make it into a gritty and grisly examination of a broken, lawless future so that it can be "game of thrones in space" or some nonsense.

And for what it's worth, while I do like the show a lot (I made sure to grab the Blu-Ray release of it when I saw it on sale last year), it's not the pinnacle of anime that made it to the west like a lot of people treat it. Hell, if we're just talking shows of the era (here in mountie-land we didn't have 'Toonami' or Cartoon Network. Most anime was handled by all-purpose kids network YTV and later our own CN knockoff, Teletoon) I liked Samurai Champloo more, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex even more than that.

Wow. This is probably the longest I've ever spent talking about anime in years.

Reactions: slocal

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I didn't like Death Note to begin with, so I'm kind of out of luck there to begin with.

In fairness, I hated new Ghostbusters because I didn't find it funny (and actually found it annoying in how unfunny I felt it was. And I like at least half of the people cast in it who weren't Kate McKinnon), not because I thought it was violating my nostalgic love of the original movies.

and as an aside, re: the Robotech/Macross thing, I have no issue with altered dubs that manage to do something constructive with the material given (one of my favorite all-time series is Samurai Pizza Cats, which just might be the only time that the US out-Japan'd Japan in terms of taking something and making it super, super, super weird, but in a good way). I've always been on the "wrong" side of western anime adaptations though. I was always absolutely cool with decent dubs even when the prevailing weeb sentiment was "OMG you have to watch it in the traditional Japanese to fully understand the complexity of the characterizations" (followed closely by "OMG you have to read the illegal scanlations online instead of official releases because only true fans grasped the correct tone and maturity of the source" by which they meant "I love that Dragonball fan translation where even 5-year-old Gohan swears like a longshoreman)

In the end, with any adaptation I always worry that something of the soul of the original is sacrificed in service to its new masters, often in a way that comes about because a bunch of corporate suits or an over-confident writer thinks that they can take a very popular thing and make it "better" via their own spin on it. But by the time you get to the end of it, you're basically watching something that bears only the most superficial resemblance to what it originated from. It's why the Ghost in the Shell movie sucked. It's why Dragonball Evolution sucked (even understanding that it was culled from the very thematically different OG Dragonball and not Z), it's why the Matthew Broderick Godzilla sucked, It's why the Transformers movies have progressively gotten worse, etc. I want to feel like I'm watching something done by people who loved the original and wanted to do something respectful of it. Not people who think that they have to paint over everything with their own brushes to make sure that the new audience 'gets' it in the right way.). It doesn't need slavish devotion to the source as long as it feels like it was handled with care (because too much slavish devotion is how you end up with Watchmen. A perfectly fine movie that ultimately has some serious problems because it spends about 3 hours recreating ~60% of the graphic novel, meaning that you constantly kind of feel like things are being rushed along or left out if you don't already know how the pieces fit together. Though, I will credit them for a much more interesting, and dare I say sensible, ending than Moore's original alien space squid thing)

In the end, maybe Cowboy Bebop surprises me. It's just that it's so much of a style-over-substance series that I fear for them wrecking the style in order to to make it appeal to a broader western audience because some suits think that they can make it into a gritty and grisly examination of a broken, lawless future so that it can be "game of thrones in space" or some nonsense.

And for what it's worth, while I do like the show a lot (I made sure to grab the Blu-Ray release of it when I saw it on sale last year), it's not the pinnacle of anime that made it to the west like a lot of people treat it. Hell, if we're just talking shows of the era (here in mountie-land we didn't have 'Toonami' or Cartoon Network. Most anime was handled by all-purpose kids network YTV and later our own CN knockoff, Teletoon) I liked Samurai Champloo more, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex even more than that.

Wow. This is probably the longest I've ever spent talking about anime in years.

Oh, your hesitation to embrace the adaptation wasn't what I was referring to. Just reading the instant reaction from weeb sites was what made me say what I did ("ruining nostalgia" as if there is such a thing). I just didn't get the uproar I was generally reading. I mean, I was keen on a Keanu Reeves Bebop as soon as he started talking about it. No idea if he will be involved in this project, but I was already excited at the possibilities from a few years back.

Now if only they started teasing a JoJo's adaptation...

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

96SRT2I.gif

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
A trailer for Godzilla: King of the Monsters is supposed to be out in the next week or so. Apparently there was material and a new teaser shown at the Tokyo Comic-Con in advance of that. Along with some statues of the monster designs for the movie (Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah)

Mothra looks a little freaky, but hot damn that Ghidorah:

DtThC--UUAEUIOA.jpg

Also composer Bear McCreary apparently did an update of the iconic original theme:

(Note, this isn't the new theme. It's the original provided for context. It also may or may not be my ringtone at any given time. Yes, with the roar)

I liked the last movie quite a bit (to be honest, I liked it more than the super, super, super weird Shin Gojira. Though that might have to do with the fact that the latter was Hideaki Anno's weird coked out, cosmic horror fever dream and was everything you'd ever expect from the guy that came up with Neon Genesis Evangelion) and I'm excited to see where they go in a movie that has enough monsters that it can't possibly be anything but 2 hours of glorious kaiju smackdown. Unless it goes ultra sideways and ends up a frantic mess like Godzilla: Final Wars.

Meanwhile, in looking up Evangelion to remember what Anno's name was, I discovered this actually exists:

Transformers × Evangelion - Transformers Wiki

Huh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: