OT: 10,000 Pt XLII - The Bouncing Turd

Status
Not open for further replies.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Mmmm, damn I miss those. I think my monthly rotation was between Obsidian, Velvet Merlin, Rasputin and Breakfast stout.... ahhh the good old days. How long have you been celiac? I got diagnosed after my mother passed from a quick bout of cancer in 2015 (which really made me get emotionally into the cup run, as if she was cosmically helping somehow), doctors think the stress triggered the reaction for me. Bleh.

I was diagnosed in March of last year. I went for a blood test when I had trouble with a wound not clotting. I also couldn't put on weight and had really painful joints. Within the same week, they scheduled a biopsy and confirmed my diagnosis. My villi were extremely atrophied, leading my doctor to guess I had been symptomatic for years.

I'm no longer anemic and my joints feel fine, but it took almost a year before my stomach settled. I used to eat the spiciest of foods, but all of a sudden, they shot through me- painfully. A fellow celiac friend (my GF Yoda) told me that now that my body has healed, it has to re-learn many foods since it can actually process them instead of just letting them pass through. It's a pro-cess!

Terribly sorry about your mother. Cancer f***ing sucks.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I was diagnosed in March of last year. I went for a blood test when I had trouble with a wound not clotting. I also couldn't put on weight and had really painful joints. Within the same week, they scheduled a biopsy and confirmed my diagnosis. My villi were extremely atrophied, leading my doctor to guess I had been symptomatic for years.

I'm no longer anemic and my joints feel fine, but it took almost a year before my stomach settled. I used to eat the spiciest of foods, but all of a sudden, they shot through me- painfully. A fellow celiac friend (my GF Yoda) told me that now that my body has healed, it has to re-learn many foods since it can actually process them instead of just letting them pass through. It's a pro-cess!

Terribly sorry about your mother. Cancer ****ing sucks.
Ya, I originally thought it was just lasting depression, but one of my sisters got the blood test diagnosis and then the endoscope confirmation and called me up letting me know to get tested since it is genetic. Sooo hard being celiac as an italian :/

Reactions: slocal

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Ya, I originally thought it was just lasting depression, but one of my sisters got the blood test diagnosis and then the endoscope confirmation and called me up letting me know to get tested since it is genetic. Sooo hard being celiac as an italian :/

Damn. Well at least your misery is shared with family! Must cut down on all the explanations during family meals, haha.

Pasta! I miss the real stuff, even got really good at making it and various breads. All that went right out the window, lol. But I think the hardest thing for me to give up was flour tortillas. Thank heavens for GF oyster sauce and tamari, though.

Trader Joe's GF fresh egg fettuccine is real damn good. Has the right texture and doesn't fall apart. Give it a shot if you can!

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Damn. Well at least your misery is shared with family! Must cut down on all the explanations during family meals, haha.

Pasta! I miss the real stuff, even got really good at making it and various breads. All that went right out the window, lol. But I think the hardest thing for me to give up was flour tortillas. Thank heavens for GF oyster sauce and tamari, though.

Trader Joe's GF fresh egg fettuccine is real damn good. Has the right texture and doesn't fall apart. Give it a shot if you can!
Ya, thankfully I had one sister to share my misery with, my father and my other sister got tested but were fine. Flour tortillas were a hard one, there is an "ok" substitute made by Mission, i think they are mostly rice based, sometimes they work great, but I think age or humidity really effects them as sometimes they are super prone to just falling apart or just becoming a gummy mess. Thanks, I will def have to try out the fettuccine!

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Ya, thankfully I had one sister to share my misery with, my father and my other sister got tested but were fine. Flour tortillas were a hard one, there is an "ok" substitute made by Mission, i think they are mostly rice based, sometimes they work great, but I think age or humidity really effects them as sometimes they are super prone to just falling apart or just becoming a gummy mess. Thanks, I will def have to try out the fettuccine!

ROFL, those Mission torts can be the biggest pain when they fall apart like that. I've learned to heat them straight on my gas stove's burner, slightly charring them. They hold together way better when crisped.

So pumped for you to try that TJ pasta. Not going to lie, I teared up when I had my first bite. It tasted real. Goddamn...real. Barilla has a good GF line, but nothing compared to TJ's. I just wish TJ had a fresh round noodle, too.

Reactions: Used As A Shield

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm gonna brag for a sec here, although it isn't much to brag about.

I just got done bowling. I bowled a 180, which is my new lifetime high (previous was 173). I'm so inconsistent though.

Edit: I think 177 was my previous high score now that I thought more about it. Oh well... no more!

Last edited:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I'm gonna brag for a sec here, although it isn't much to brag about.

I just got done bowling. I bowled a 180, which is my new lifetime high (previous was 173). I'm so inconsistent though.

Edit: I think 177 was my previous high score now that I thought more about it. Oh well... no more!

Great job!

Do you rent or own your equipment? It took me a long time to find a proper spare ball, but now that I have a great two-ball setup, I'm having much more fun and success. My strike ball is a beast, but couldn't cut worth a damn.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Great job!

Do you rent or own your equipment? It took me a long time to find a proper spare ball, but now that I have a great two-ball setup, I'm having much more fun and success. My strike ball is a beast, but couldn't cut worth a damn.

I used to have my own bowling ball, but I don't anymore. I don't go enough to justify getting a custom bowling ball.

My fingers are so small. :laugh:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I used to have my own bowling ball, but I don't anymore. I don't go enough to justify getting a custom bowling ball.

My fingers are so small. :laugh:

I have the opposite problem. I have joint issues, so I can't bowl with a heavy ball because it will make my elbow lockup within half a game, so I need to use a really light ball. Good luck finding a light bowling ball with large finger holes... Often, I have to bowl without using the holes because I simply cannot find one that my fingers will fit in.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Not really sure where to put this but does anyone have those metallic or chrome Sharks auto emblems? Anyone can comment on the quality on those or what brand to go for? I see there's ProMark and Rico Industries but im not sure which one to buy.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have the opposite problem. I have joint issues, so I can't bowl with a heavy ball because it will make my elbow lockup within half a game, so I need to use a really light ball. Good luck finding a light bowling ball with large finger holes... Often, I have to bowl without using the holes because I simply cannot find one that my fingers will fit in.

It's impossible to find a bowling ball that has small finger holes that is heavier. I used an eight pound ball. :laugh:

Like I said, I don't bowl enough to justify getting a custom made bowling ball.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I'm going to be honest:

This was better than it had any business being. I'm not saying it was good/great, or that I'll even see it at any point before it shows up on TV or Netflix or anything of the like, but the bar I had set for what this would end up looking like was exceptionally low given the concept, the general result of video game based movies (no matter how loose the adaptation), the insanity of casting Ryan Reynold in the role, etc, I figured there was no way this wouldn't be a hilariously gigantic trainwreck. But it actually looks... not wholly awful?

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Battle Beast
Oct 4, SF. Palace of Fine Arts

Me:
200.gif

Reactions: slocal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad