Series Discussion: (1) AD1: Florida Panthers vs (8) WC2: Washington Capitals | Panthers win 4-2

Who wins?

• Caps in 4

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Caps in 5

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caps in 6

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Caps in 7

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Ovi scored 50 at age 36 so we got that going for us

Votes: 21 20.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If anything their performance so far should stop a lot of complaining about the team as constructed (other than maybe Goaltending) and Lavi's competence. We've seen what they're capable of.

They have to know there's no excuse to NOT beat the best now, if they ever had any doubt.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Their forward depth still looks a bit short and plodding. They need more tenacity and agility so that they can mix in a little more east/west at times when called for. You don't want that out of their game entirely, esp. once a forecheck is established and they're trying to create. It makes them so much more predictable not having more of that in their game. High/low plays can work instead but then they don't crash the net a ton to make it a calling card. They also seem to have wisely abandoned some aspects of the weave so as to limit turnovers/odd mans. While the buy-in and tactics have been respectable thus far I think the overall question of 5v5 offensive play looms. A guy like Sheary has some E/W elements at times and must step up more from a general energy standpoint. He's struggled to get traction once again. Eller also hasn't asserted himself enough and it makes the top nine that much more easily contained.

The outlines of a contender are sort of there when they're on but I don't know how viable it is to have a top six that doesn't tilt the ice. The center position remains very questionable in the bigger picture and the top six dynamic places a high burden on every other area of the lineup. They've competed admirably thus far but I don't think it's enough for a Lavi extension per se or that there aren't still some pretty big near-term construction questions. Advancing would go some way toward easing them. Nonetheless, for now, I don't know if the overall script has been altered much. They were mostly game from puck drop thanks to their experience. Let's see if it helps them finish. If not, it will just be a little less bitter experience and not much more IMO.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If anything their performance so far should stop a lot of complaining about the team as constructed (other than maybe Goaltending) and Lavi's competence. We've seen what they're capable of.

They have to know there's no excuse to NOT beat the best now, if they ever had any doubt.
Yes and no. The top four is contender worthy as is the fourth line but the lack of speed and ability to drive play at the center position is cause for concern. Backstrom has played better than expected but he’s a liability in transition and really struggles to keep up defensively. Eller was one of the best 3Cs in the league but his play has slipped.

In fairness they’re missing Wilson and they’re a completely different team without him. His speed and physicality would be hugely beneficial in a series like this. Ovechkin and Kuznetsov have another gear or two to hit.

I think they’re a piece or two away up front from being complete. Ideally you have an upgrade at 2C and move Backstrom to 3C but that’s not going to happen. A top six forward who can skate and drive play would be a big benefit as well. I’d love for them to get Nuke or Connor Garland or another player of that type this summer. And Schultz needs to be replaced.

I do think the rumors of their demise have been exaggerated but in the same breath they need some fresh legs to take some of the load off the old guys.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Yes and no. The top four is contender worthy as is the fourth line but the lack of speed and ability to drive play at the center position is cause for concern. Backstrom has played better than expected but he’s a liability in transition and really struggles to keep up defensively. Eller was one of the best 3Cs in the league but his play has slipped.

In fairness they’re missing Wilson and they’re a completely different team without him. His speed and physicality would be hugely beneficial in a series like this. Ovechkin and Kuznetsov have another gear or two to hit.

I think they’re a piece or two away up front from being complete. Ideally you have an upgrade at 2C and move Backstrom to 3C but that’s not going to happen. A top six forward who can skate and drive play would be a big benefit as well. I’d love for them to get Nuke or Connor Garland or another player of that type this summer. And Schultz needs to be replaced.

I do think the rumors of their demise have been exaggerated but in the same breath they need some fresh legs to take some of the load off the old guys.
This. All of your top offensive players should not be in their mid to late 30s IMHO. They look gassed last night. Hopefully they recover next game.

Reactions: Drakon

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I was talking mainly about the team as constructed THIS year, and their ability to compete this postseason. They've shown they can do it at the highest level. Offseason modifications and upgrades are going to be expected on any club but my (perhaps obscured) point was the "FIRE _________ !" narratives don't really have a foundation anymore. Not yet.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Apparently Wilson was skating this afternoon and looked good, according to a fan.

Seems doubtful he’s going to return tomorrow, but it seems like progress at least.

Dibbs31

Apr 28, 2016
RMNB reporting Wilson skated this afternoon and was looking good. A 90% Wilson would be a huge addition. Especially with Marchment out

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

Apparently Wilson was skating this afternoon and looked good, according to a fan.

Seems doubtful he’s going to return tomorrow, but it seems like progress at least.

It was I thought when he did not play in G2
Caps will be waiting to be in an elimination game to play Wilson again. (at least in R1)

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
It was I thought when he did not play in G2
Caps will be waiting to be in an elimination game to play Wilson again. (at least in R1)
Then I guess he'll be in the lineup, cos it's an elimination game. Or do you mean if it goes to a game 7??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad