Series Discussion: (1) AD1: Florida Panthers vs (8) WC2: Washington Capitals | Panthers win 4-2

Who wins?

• Caps in 4

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Caps in 5

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caps in 6

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Caps in 7

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Ovi scored 50 at age 36 so we got that going for us

Votes: 21 20.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Alcohol is the cause of and solution for all that ails us
6uAg.gif

Where to start... gotta shit can all the coaches and GM. Simple things like Connor. If he's not top 6/PP time he shouldn't be here. If coaches don't trust him, he shouldn't be here. I see a disconnect between coaching and GM. I look heavily at playoffs when grading the team and see failures. PP entry looks so difficult and it ends up depending on if Kuzy can singledhanded get the puck in. Bah.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcel snapshot

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well we can add Carter Verheaghe to the list of Caps playoff villains. If you would have told me that Ilya went into G6 with a 2.62 GAA and a .926 save % I'd be thinking the Caps would have had two chances to close out the series.

Bennett was mostly invisible. Duclair was a ghost. Reinhart had the G4 goal but was mostly invisible. Huberdeau and Barkov always looked threatening but didn't have monster series. Verheaghe just killed us... 6+6 in 6 games is ridiculous.

Reactions: ovikovy817

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
I was at the arena last night. It seemed like all our STH neighbors cashed in and sold their tix to n00bs who hadn‘t ever been to a game. Standing up and moving around during play, knocking over beers, and doing the fricking WAVE in the third period of a tie elimination game. My “get off my lawn“ cheers were completely drowned out.

Postgame, Oshie said this year’s team was fully engaged and fought hard, unlike the last two years — confirming what many of us thought watching those series. So — props to the Caps for giving us hockey worth watching this year.

I don’t know how many more miles are left on this jalopy but we get to watch Ovie chase a record next year so I will be back.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Well we can add Carter Verheaghe to the list of Caps playoff villains. If you would have told me that Ilya went into G6 with a 2.62 GAA and a .926 save % I'd be thinking the Caps would have had two chances to close out the series.

Bennett was mostly invisible. Duclair was a ghost. Reinhart had the G4 goal but was mostly invisible. Huberdeau and Barkov always looked threatening but didn't have monster series. Verheaghe just killed us... 6+6 in 6 games is ridiculous.

To add to your list:
- we gave up 0 PP goals
- though our PP was not smooth we did score a few PP goals
- we scored first in 4 of the 6 games
- we were leading well into the 3rd period in 2 of the games we lost

I don't know how anyone could say this is not another choke job. I don't think the Panthers were better than us overall. We honestly gave this series away.

Last edited:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
To add to your list:
- we gave up 0 PP goals

I don't know how anyone could say this is not another choke job. I don't think the Panthers were better than us overall. We honestly have this series away.
Complete choke job, undeniable. Coaches and players alike.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
We honestly gave this series away.

Literally, what Backstrom said after the game... Definitely makes this loss worse.

Probably didn't have the legs to go all the way anyway, but if we beat Florida with no Wilson, we likely could've beaten Toronto with Wilson. Probably, would've lost to Tampa though. Can't dad-dick another dad-dicking team.

Reactions: tycoonheart

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Allowing Carter Verhage to look like Mario Lemieux is embarrassing.

This is going to suck until tomorrow when either the Penguins or Rangers are eliminated.

Reactions: Misery74

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Allowing Carter Verhage to look like Mario Lemieux is embarrassing.

This is going to suck until tomorrow when either the Penguins or Rangers are eliminated.
I’d love to know which D pair/forward group covered the majority and was exploited most by his line.

To add to your list:
- we gave up 0 PP goals

I don't know how anyone could say this is not another choke job. I don't think the Panthers were better than us overall. We honestly gave this series away.
Definite choke job.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Dammit... I have to wait another year for the next playoffs...
This team needs to rebuild a little so we can do better than being the last wild card in the east...
If we don't rebuild, we could miss the playoffs, and that would be worse than losing in the first round...
I'd say maybe go after that 2nd pick from new jersey, but it could be costly.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
Oshie & Carlson react to series loss

Thought I'd share this for those that weren't able to catch this stuff live. That YouTube channel has a few other clips of the post game.

Anyways, arguably the best and worst players for the Caps this series. Even the thumbnail says it all. Oshie looks disappointed but like he knows he played well. Whereas, Carlson just looks absolutely dejected. He looks completely broken. He knows he had a terrible series. Couldn't even properly articulate the last play on the OT winner because he knows it was his damn fault.

All we can hope for is that he wakes the hell up next year, if we even make the playoffs, because I can't see us finding any good deals for him. 32 years old, $8x4 left, and a 15-team NMC...

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I was at the arena last night. It seemed like all our STH neighbors cashed in and sold their tix to n00bs who hadn‘t ever been to a game. Standing up and moving around during play, knocking over beers, and doing the fricking WAVE in the third period of a tie elimination game.
The wave was disgraceful and an obvious jinx. It was so very not hockey.

Had a similar sense of being surrounded by more dullards than usual. Thought it was my default misanthropy (which went into remission during COVID, because I didn't have to actually see people) kicking back in hard, so your experience of the same is sorta validating.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
The saddest part of this playoffs is if the Caps beat Florida and TB wins their series, the Caps would possibly be in the ECF. I'm for Toronto big time now even though I won't be watching the rest of the playoffs. I don't care how many game 7s are in play. Either team in the Edm/LA series is who I will be quietly rooting for to win it all despite their odds. Colorado will be ok, however the East can F off. I don't hate Florida either, so if they win it will be better than the remaining teams in the East. No matter how great the Caps are next season I'm just paying for ESPN+. The ESPN experiment is a big failure. It was nice to play a new opponent than the stupid teams the Caps always play.

Complete choke job, undeniable. Coaches and players alike.
Indeed. Despite the age, goalie situation, and playing on the road it's a really bad choke job. That means changes must happen.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oshie & Carlson react to series loss

Thought I'd share this for those that weren't able to catch this stuff live. That YouTube channel has a few other clips of the post game.

Anyways, arguably the best and worst players for the Caps this series. Even the thumbnail says it all. Oshie looks disappointed but like he knows he played well. Whereas, Carlson just looks absolutely dejected. He looks completely broken. He knows he had a terrible series. Couldn't even properly articulate the last play on the OT winner because he knows it was his damn fault.

All we can hope for is that he wakes the hell up next year, if we even make the playoffs, because I can't see us finding any good deals for him. 32 years old, $8x4 left, and a 15-team NMC...

watching him mindlessly roam away from the goal and get caught badly out of position on the last goal….he should be embarrassed for himself professionally.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
watching him mindless roam away from the goal and get caught badly out of position on the last goal….he should be embarrassed for himself professionally.
Directly responsible for many of the crushing goals against. His swat at a bouncing puck right inside the blue line in G5 was something you see in beer league, not in a playoff game up two goals against the President’s Trophy winners, and it opened the flood gates that game. He was lazy, slow, and out of position on more than just the OT goal last night but the OT goal was especially egregious. An all around awful performance from someone they couldn’t afford to get awful performances from.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

3+4 alone in the last 2 games.

That's what PO hockey is about.

A no name can show up and go hot for 3 days and you win a lost series.

Reactions: RandyHolt

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I picked Caps in 6 based on the season, the good games they played during the RS and experience etc. And as much as i love many of the players on the team im not at all surprised they managed to throw away at least two games where the win was only 110% effort and calm minds away. Instead, they did what they've done almost every post-season except 2018: Lose in the first round.

I think it´s time for a pretty serious rebuild. Keep Ovi for the record and Bäckström for sentimental reasons (and he'll retire soon) and trade pretty much anyone else except maybe Wilson. This core is not getting it done anymore and next season we won't even be in the playoffs so might aswell get some decent draft picks for the suffering that's on the horizon.

Honestly never thought i'd feel dissapointed in this team, but i do. They clearly had the key to winning this series but they gave it away through brainfarts and lack of effort.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I think this team looked it's best at the beginning of the season where Oshie, Mantha and Bäckström were all injured and the kids got to play. So play the shit out of McMichael, Protas, Leason, Snively etc next season. They need to be given the opportunity to be the next wave.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think this team looked it's best at the beginning of the season where Oshie, Mantha and Bäckström were all injured and the kids got to play. So play the shit out of McMichael, Protas, Leason, Snively etc next season. They need to be given the opportunity to be the next wave.
GMBM just can't seem to stop bringing in / extending meh forwards. Larson Hagelin MJ are 3 vets we should have been able to replace with internal pieces. If not, clearly drafting/development failed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
interesting take…..I feel like they looked their best when everyone came back from injury and the PP started clicking…

Eirikrautha

Directly responsible for many of the crushing goals against. His swat at a bouncing puck right inside the blue line in G5 was something you see in beer league, not in a playoff game up two goals against the President’s Trophy winners, and it opened the flood gates that game. He was lazy, slow, and out of position on more than just the OT goal last night but the OT goal was especially egregious. An all around awful performance from someone they couldn’t afford to get awful performances from.
The sad fact is the Carlson is not "hockey" smart. Never has been. He's got a lot of offensive upside (especially on the PP) and tremendous talent, but he's consistently made boneheaded mistakes throughout his career, and he never seems to learn from them. This is why he'll never win the Norris, because any non-Caps fan who isn't looking through fan-lenses can see he's a hockey smooth-brain...

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad