Series Discussion: (1) AD1: Florida Panthers vs (8) WC2: Washington Capitals | Panthers win 4-2

Who wins?

• Caps in 4

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Caps in 5

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caps in 6

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Caps in 7

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Ovi scored 50 at age 36 so we got that going for us

Votes: 21 20.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The sad fact is the Carlson is not "hockey" smart. Never has been. He's got a lot of offensive upside (especially on the PP) and tremendous talent, but he's consistently made boneheaded mistakes throughout his career, and he never seems to learn from them. This is why he'll never win the Norris, because any non-Caps fan who isn't looking through fan-lenses can see he's a hockey smooth-brain...
Let’s not pretend we’re somehow blinded. He is what he is.…supremely talented on offense….a coin flip on D.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
interesting take…..I feel like they looked their best when everyone came back from injury and the PP started clicking…

They might have won more then (not sure) but they were really buzzing at the start of the season and i think at one point they were like 3rd in the league. Ovi was getting skating assistance and leading the league in points. Etc

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
GMBM just can't seem to stop bringing in / extending meh forwards. Larson Hagelin MJ are 3 vets we should have been able to replace with internal pieces. If not, clearly drafting/development failed.
Larsson-Hagelin-MJ will be our second line next season. Brace yourself!

Nah i actuallt dont mind Larsson and MJ, for what they are paid they're decent enough. I'd keep them and dump Mantha, Eller, Hagelin, Oshie, Schultz and get one or two top-notch players in FA. Like Chychrun and Forsberg or whatever. Maybe Kadri? Obviously not that easy but we have good depth. We need to replace aging stars with younger stars.

Reactions: RandyHolt

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
People still want to ditch Oshie? Really??

It's crazy. Other than Tom Wilson, Oshie is the heart and soul of this team. Like it's great to have core guys like Ovi, Kuz, Nicky, and Carlson. But Wilson and Oshie are massive parts of this team's locker room culture and their warrior-like mentality on the ice permeates to the rest of our team. Just watching the exit interviews, you can clearly tell those two should be alternate captains if not captains of this team if Ovechkin didn't exist.

What Oshie did this season/playoffs, with all of his lingering injuries, is terrific. It justifies keeping him and his often-criticized contract. In his exit interview, he said this was his hardest year in Washington due to injuries and expects next year to go a lot smoother being able to hit the ground running.

Gotta remember that he and Backstrom were playing catchup all year.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
GMBM just can't seem to stop bringing in / extending meh forwards. Larson Hagelin MJ are 3 vets we should have been able to replace with internal pieces. If not, clearly drafting/development failed.

Nah i actuallt dont mind Larsson and MJ, for what they are paid they're decent enough. I'd keep them and dump Mantha, Eller, Hagelin, Oshie, Schultz and get one or two top-notch players in FA. Like Chychrun and Forsberg or whatever. Maybe Kadri? Obviously not that easy but we have good depth. We need to replace aging stars with younger stars.

People still want to ditch Oshie? Really??

Not him but his contract and his injury proneness.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

Oshie is worth every penny. Moving him shouldn’t be on the table.

Those other guys you mentioned, sure.

Chychrun is not a UFA.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Oshie is a bargain for what he brings. People declare him dead every year and then he shows up and beasts out in the playoffs. $5.7M is not too much for that.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Oshie lost another step and his hands are worse than a year or two ago... I don't know shit, you know, but I think this is visible.

he's not that good in regular season now IMHO

he's a warrior, the glue and a luxury. if Backstrom retires somehow 3RW Oshie is fine (too expensive but deserved).

pairs of NB-Oshie or Eller-Oshie aren't fine. with CMM or Jimi he'd be teaching them at least...

ps: not hoping NB retires, just stating the obvious too many slow injured core guys reality

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
and if you don't really compete for the cup does it matter if Oshie is playoff warrior?

for the sake of the future he could be traded, from business point of view

Reactions: YippieKaey

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don’t know that Washington can win an Oshie trade. Hard to see a team paying up for him in a trade given his age, contract status, and injury history. And they can get cap flexibility elsewhere.

I’d field offers on him, just like everyone else not named Ovechkin. But I highly doubt something would materialize that would make sense from Washington’s POV.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Oshie is being held together with duct tape and twine at this point. He talked about it in his interview, recovery from one injury leading to another. I don't expect that to go away with him, the mileage is racking up. A 20+ game absence for injuries should be taken for granted with Oshie going forwards, we just have to hope that it's not around playoff time or that he can recover as best as possible.

That being said, he currently still has value to the team (and possibly others). He revitalized the powerplay when he returned in mid-February. He has enough savvy in his game to know how to contribute even when he can't win his 1-on-1 match-ups anymore (as was the case in the playoffs, where everything his stick touched turned to gold in the offensive zone). His even strength minutes and deployments should probably be managed heavily to get the most out of him with the fewest drawbacks. There is the worry that he could absolutely crater, ala Mike Knuble, at a moment's notice, but they can try and milk every bit of hockey out of him before that point if they chose to. The risk with that approach is what happens after he craters? Can they convince him go onto LTIRment? Or will they they be stuck holding the bag and have to pay to move a contract that still has term remaining? Is it worth it to explore the market this summer to see if there's still someone who's enamored with Oshie and willing to pay for him and sidestep that risk? I think it's at least worth listening, although I'm not sure an offer will be out there that makes sense.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
his contributions even if only at pp are worth big time money to the club.

but risks are getting in the red zone too.

are there any mobile guys with right handed deflection abilities on the market?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Someone can actually fact check it, but it always seemed to be the Carlson/Fehervary pairing digging the puck out of the net when that line was out there.
It was. Carlson -4 and Fehervary -3.

It's not like they were the only ones though. Jensen finished the series -5 and Orlov -4. TvR with the team-best +3 and Schultz +2.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It was. Carlson -4 and Fehervary -3.

It's not like they were the only ones though. Jensen finished the series -5 and Orlov -4. TvR with the team-best +3 and Schultz +2.
Orlov/Jensen were getting the shutdown duty, we knew that there were going to be some goals against them by the time the series ended. You can't keep the Florida top 6 quiet for an entire series. There were definitely moments where they could have played better (Jensen had a couple uncharacteristic brain farts, for instance), but it wasn't egregious.

The Carlson/Fehervary pairing generally got easier match-ups than Orlov/Jensen. And their mistakes were more glaring. Most of all, it was the timing, as their mistakes seemed to happen in a gigantic avalanche in games 5 and 6. Carlson's utter buffoonery in game 5 replaced Weegar's from earlier in the series as the whipping boy of both D corps. Then the two of them continued it into game 6, where they spent the entire time digging the puck out of their net.

What's most troubling is that this isn't new with Carlson. He's had a bunch of bad playoff performances in a row. He has one even-strength point in the past four playoff campaigns combined. He was utterly terrible against Boston last year, albeit some fans were willing to excuse it due to injury. Same with the previous year against the Islanders, but once again some fans were willing to overlook it because the entire team looked like they were on vacation in the CoVID bubble. But this season has gone to show that those weren't anomalies. Carlson is one of the Capitals most at fault for their recent streak of first round exits, and it's not acceptable for a player with an $8M contract.

TvR had an great series tho. He should get more accolades for it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Orlov/Jensen were getting the shutdown duty, we knew that there were going to be some goals against them by the time the series ended. You can't keep the Florida top 6 quiet for an entire series. There were definitely moments where they could have played better (Jensen had a couple uncharacteristic brain farts, for instance), but it wasn't egregious.

The Carlson/Fehervary pairing generally got easier match-ups than Orlov/Jensen. And their mistakes were more glaring. Most of all, it was the timing, as their mistakes seemed to happen in a gigantic avalanche in games 5 and 6. Carlson's utter buffoonery in game 5 replaced Weegar's from earlier in the series as the whipping boy of both D corps. Then the two of them continued it into game 6, where they spent the entire time digging the puck out of their net.

What's most troubling is that this isn't new with Carlson. He's had a bunch of bad playoff performances in a row. He has one even-strength point in the past four playoff campaigns combined. He was utterly terrible against Boston last year, albeit some fans were willing to excuse it due to injury. Same with the previous year against the Islanders, but once again some fans were willing to overlook it because the entire team looked like they were on vacation in the CoVID bubble. But this season has gone to show that those weren't anomalies. Carlson is one of the Capitals most at fault for their recent streak of first round exits, and it's not acceptable for a player with an $8M contract.

TvR had an great series tho. He should get more accolades for it.
It's tough to blame Orlov/Jensen considering who they played against most of the time. The numbers look ugly but i think overally they had an okay series because they both played a big role in shutting down the Panthers PP.

I really liked TvR too.

Carlson is IMO the biggest Playoff disappointment post-Cup.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Oshie lost another step and his hands are worse than a year or two ago... I don't know shit, you know, but I think this is visible.

he's not that good in regular season now IMHO

he's a warrior, the glue and a luxury. if Backstrom retires somehow 3RW Oshie is fine (too expensive but deserved).

pairs of NB-Oshie or Eller-Oshie aren't fine. with CMM or Jimi he'd be teaching them at least...

ps: not hoping NB retires, just stating the obvious too many slow injured core guys reality

I agree with this. Oshie's 5v5 play wasn't very good. Definitely a warrior in the playoffs, the only player who made something happen. I do wonder if all the injuries this year had something to do with his overall play tho.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oshie had a similar regular season points/game rate as 2018. His % of goals at ES was higher than 2018. His shooting % was the same. Blocks per game were similar. He played about a minute less per game but had MORE hits per game.

Translation: Oshie missed more games this year but was the same or better in key "standard" stats (actual production, not expected or theoretical).

Then in the playoffs he was even better in just about every category, doubling his hits/game, doubling his shooting %, tripling goals/game, with about the same TOI.

Imagine if the Caps as a TEAM had won the Cup THIS year and Oshie played this way in every series.

Still want to trade him?

This is EXACTLY what you pay Oshie for and then some. The only reason people are sour is because he missed time during the regular season, the team lost the playoff round, and there's an ongoing narrative that he's done.

Ovie's been getting those kinds of comments for 10 years. Not trading him, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille