Series Discussion: (1) AD1: Florida Panthers vs (8) WC2: Washington Capitals | Panthers win 4-2

Who wins?

• Caps in 4

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Caps in 5

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caps in 6

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Caps in 7

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Ovi scored 50 at age 36 so we got that going for us

Votes: 21 20.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I was fully prepared for the Penguins to play the Panthers so I had my delusional reason for the penguins having a chance ready. Since they are not, I'll still say it here -the Panthers have a mental case in net when he gets to the playoffs. That's a pretty big thing.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I was fully prepared for the Penguins to play the Panthers so I had my delusional reason for the penguins having a chance ready. Since they are not, I'll still say it here -the Panthers have a mental case in net when he gets to the playoffs. That's a pretty big thing.

So do the Caps. Two of them actually.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
I'd love to believe in our guys, but I have a feeling team will fall flat on offense again. Ovechkin can do only so much and after him there is not much left.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Guys please remember.
In January-February we said that at maximum this team can go until R1G5.
And don't be fooled by the stretch from March 1st until Ovi's injury.

We will certainly win one game during the first trip in FLA due to experience.
But it will finish in 5.
At least we will see games with a lot of goals for both teams. Ovi if available will have good stats.
And the most important thing we won't be annoyed by their fanbase.
And Caps can give them a free pass in R1 so they rest before playing TBL/TOR (hope it goes to 7).

PS : What kind of team it is?
Caps 2010?
I see they lost 2-10 to MTL without their top guys.
So if we hit their guys, maybe it will work?

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Do we have a rough idea of when Game 1 will be

4 games per night
Each team plays every other day
Very simple schedule for R1 à la EA sports video game

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
optimistically 4-2 panthers, realistically 4-1 panthers. inb4 road warriors
panthers are due going through at least first round in playoffs and we are mediocre hockey team with below average goaltending

Reactions: PlushMinus

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Came here to say Ekblad seems to be on his way back and able to play in the playoffs, which should be a major upgrade for the Panthers. But I see from the comments the minus column is full to the rim already.

So, what are the upsides? Russian hockey star Alexander Ovechkin is on our team. Carlson has looked good lately and Eller has been less bad. The team can play without the burden of high expectations against a team with for them unprecedented expectations. Backstrom’s butt looks impressively big - not like Jagr’s but still.

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004
just-happy-to-5af66b.jpg

Cats in 5

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oh ye of little faith.

Caps in 7. One of these goaltenders finds a magic goalie mask. Lavi unexpectedly bogs down the game to slow the opposition. Some bottom 6 player has a career series.

The monkeys doing pre-flight in my butt have spoken.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
It's the Playoffs
the new season
the Second Season
where upsets happen every year
where will can beat skill

Panthers D and G are suspect and if Caps play smart, tough, hard, sacrifice with some great Team D they can take out FLA

All starts with GM 1
Throw that 1st big hit
Get that 1st big goal
and anything can happen

f*** the cowards who are afraid to hope
Remind me of Johnny Fontaine in Godfather

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They'll care but it's likely to be a high-scoring series and I'm not sure they're mentally prepared for that. They certainly should be by now but are they totally ready to have deflating sequences happen and carry on? I'm not sure they have the disciplined engagement required in an upstart. They're too emotional, by their own admission. It's too much about feel rather than details and technique. When it comes overall team play it's hard to see it being sharp enough. If everything falls into place, sure, but they're facing a very robust challenge. It's not going to be tidy.

And more than simple want-to is whether players like Backstrom and Oshie even have enough in the tank at this stage to be big positive factors in this series. They're also far from the only question marks in the top six when it comes to consistent effectiveness. It will likely take massive efforts from the top four D and a goaltender stepping up if they can manage to make some noise.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The playoffs defy all sense of reason. See TBL in 2019, Wash in 2010, LA going from 8 seed to never coming close to losing a series.

Caps win in 5 because LOL logic

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Say what you want about Bobrovsky, especially since joining Florida, but I'll take a two time Vezina winner over our goalies without a second thought.

Well that's really going out on a limb.

Nobody is saying our G are better. We're saying Bob has a track record of playoff flops so there's a chance to pull this off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino