Post-Game Talk: 0-for-5 on the PP and the last 5 games, Jets lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Dealing with obnoxious fans from an opposing team is never a fun time.

when im a visiting fan at a home team's rink I always try to represent Us respectfully. Inevitably you spark good conversations with the home fans and people have positive impressions of the fans and pass it around "hey if the jets play any other team i'll cheer you guys on"

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Just like the Edmonton game if our PP is even decent we win , i just don't understand why they don't move around more, pass the puck faster and shoot. It's just unreal how everyone of our PP's looked exactly the same every time, change shit up don't just keep trying to bang a square peg in a round hole .
There is definitely a combo of arrogance, stupidity and stuborness surrounding this squad regarding the pp. It has cost them 2 to 4 wins.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Good Bad and the Ugly

The good here, is the Jets in regulation time, not including empty net goals, have held 2 great teams, the Oilers, and Vegas, to allowing only 2 goals against, in regulation time. That should always be good enough to win with. now that's good.

The Bad - the Jets have not got any production from their scorers. Where are you Sheifele, Ehlers, Conner, Mono and Morrisey when the chips are on the table ?? Just no " killer instinct". With the type of scorers we have, this should not be a problem, but it's a big one, and the Jets, cannot seem to come up with "clutch goals" from key players, when the game is on the line. Reminds me of past Jets teams.

The Ugly - when you have 5 powerplay chances, and that's like 10 minutes, or "half a full period", and you don't score, this starts to get ugly, and has to be fixed. We have to have our clutch players come through. Why are they not using Ehlers on the point on Powerplay # 1 ? He has one of the best and most accurate shots ?? There needs to be some answers here Bowness.

The answers -- usually the above mentioned, means a lack of confidence, and confidence is usually passed down from the Coach to the players. Maybe Bowness does not have what it takes, to instill confidence, and leadership in the minds of this hockey club ?? It's looking this way, and he maybe should go, at the end of this season.? I'm not sure, but in critical games, toward the end of the year, the Jets seem to revert back to the "old Jets" of the past, and that's starting to die toward the end of the season. They can't seem to handle the pressure and this comes from coaching, and this comes from a lack of confidence, that is transferred from the Coach to the players. I believe the talent is here on paper, but this confidence problem persists.

1) The answer - I'm not quite sure, but maybe replace Bowness at the end of the season if this continues - and "not" with Arneil, who doesn't inspire any confidence in me whatsoever.

2) Bring in a guy that has a good reputation for getting the powerplay going, that can instill some confidence in these players, and get them scoring.

3) Use Ehlers on power play # 1 and I'm sure we'll get better results.

4) Have a sports psychologist talk to players like Morrissey who should be scoring from the back end, like he did last year. He has the talent and a good shot, but he lacks confidence.

5) The team played great with Connor out, and had a great record, so why not move Ehlers to the top line, and see what happens ? Bowness has got to shake things up, and get this problem fixed.

6) Go with our youth, like Nashville did, and insert McGoarty, Lambert, and Chibrikov on one line, and wee what they can do. Call it the kid line.

7) Lastly, make a big trade, which is risky, and trade off a guy like Connor, for a more gritty 2 way player, who can also score.

I'm sure that those reading this will all have their opinions, but in my opinion, it always comes from the top down, and that's the Coach, and it maybe time for Bowness to go. Edmonton kept switching Coaches, got rid of Jay Woodcroft, and went on a huge winning streak. When McDavid and others were interviewed about their record loss streak, he replied -- "lack of confidence" I like Bowness's system, and I like the play structure, of defensive Hockey, but there is a crucial piece missing -- and right now it's "confidence".

Last edited:

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
We do not have any elite finishers on this team, Connor comes the closest and he's cold right now.
Once again the top line was a tire fire. This team will never win anything as assembled or as coached. Rince and repeat is the definition of insanity. This is not a team that will produce any offense off of dump and chase hockey. Lowry is trying to rally the troops, but this version of the Jets is too soft and too small. The current model to draft the best player available at every draft position is starting to take this team down a path that will not lead to success. Most players have mediocre skill, with no finish, too small and soft, and look what we have in the pipeline.... more the same.

Reactions: Orrrules

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This is an amazing documentary about Vegas Tunnel Dwellers that came out today.

Its seriously Peabody worthy. If you can get through the whole thing, you'll see what i mean. Unbelievable.

Looks interesting, I'll have to watch the whole thing (i did some skip and watch) I happened to land on the part where the guy is bashing the injury Lawyer Naqvi...who is of course the Knights away helmet sponsor. Seems fitting.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
After having a short sleep, dog doesn't care that i was out last night:laugh:, the Jets played a pretty good game but just like the Edmonton game that PP killed us. I really would let Lauer go today , you can't even tell what the Jets are trying to run on the PP because nobody is moving around skating with the puck trying to create confusion for the PK , it's the Jets that look confused. I realize we don't have a McJesus out there but we still have enough talent to at least score 1 PP goal in 5 tries. The arena was packed and sold out even all the luxury boxes were full, the Jets could have had that place rocking with even 1 PP goal ,It's too bad that didn't happen. When the entire arena is yelling shooooot on the PP you know the PP needs improvement.:laugh:

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Maybe I'm in the minority but the Jets played a really good game. Just a fluke goal by shaving cream to win it. If the Jets keep playing like that they can compete with anyone.

The pp is just stagnant without Vilardi down low. Scrap it until he returns and try scoring off the rush instead.

Hope Stanley keeps playing like that, keep him in the lineup please.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like to see the intensity ramping up, but Scheifele can't be dropping the gloves with guys like Hague. Coulda got completely destroyed. Fortunately Hague had mercy. Push and shove, drop a Frick bombs......but don't drop the gloves.
Hate to say it but that was dumb , if Scheifele just grabs him and doesn't come flying in with his gloves already off that's a 5 minute PP for us and Scheifele is still in the game. That happened right in front of us and i swear you could see Dillon looking at Scheifele and thinking what the frick are you doing? :laugh:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Some said sure Stanley played pretty good but that was against a bottom feeder, well the Knights are no bottom feeders and I would say he passed with flying colours. Smart simple game, defended well, moved the puck, was physical and clocked a pretty tough guy. Maybe we have something here after all.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Some said sure Stanley played pretty good but that was against a bottom feeder, well the Knights are no bottom feeders and I would say he passed with flying colours. Smart simple game, defended well, moved the puck, was physical and clocked a pretty tough guy. Maybe we have something here after all.
He's been good all season. Not saying he's a #1 dman, but we only have one elite defenseman so he certainly has a spot here.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
He's been good all season. Not saying he's a #1 dman, but we only have one elite defenseman so he certainly has a spot here.
He may never become a top 4 but can he play in this league, can he play night in night out, last night should give us hope as long as he doesn't play beyond his means, plays physical, smart and and uses that reach to his advantage

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
2014-15 Ducks make it to the the Western Conference Final but lose to Hawks. (Not too shabby.)
After post-season evaluation by Ducks' GM, all coaches except Brad Lauer retained.
Lauer was in charge of Ducks' PP that ranked 28th in league that season.
A couple of random quotes from Ducks' fans that season: Lauer "often interviewed about our anemic PP."" "With the amount of talent on the team there is zero reason power play was as bad as it was."
Hmmmmm.

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He outplayed Samberg, which is interesting since Samberg has always been the darling of these forums while Stanley has been most people’s whipping boy.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
He outplayed Samberg, which is interesting since Samberg has always been the darling of these forums while Stanley has been most people’s whipping boy.
Samberg's play lately is concerning and it seems that the coaching staff see's this by him being a healthy scratch a couple of times. Is he playing thru something, run down, sad because his roomy isn't playing I have no idea but he needs to get back to playing like he was most of this season.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Samberg's play lately is concerning and it seems that the coaching staff see's this by him being a healthy scratch a couple of times. Is he playing thru something, run down, sad because his roomy isn't playing I have no idea but he needs to get back to playing like he was most of this season.
I don't think I've ever seen a season like this where every defenseman was basically healthy all season. Perhaps the downside is that they are all exhausted.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

This again? :laugh: I thought Samberg being nearly top of the league in xga with Schmidt as his partner would've had you back into the bushes on this take but a couple of good games from Stanley and it's back :P

Reactions: hn777

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I'll join the chorus that says we played a really good game and had some really great chances that we didn't capitalize on. This game could have easily gone either way.

On a personal note, I badly wanted us to overtake Vancouver in the conference standings and it looks like that won't happen, even with the Canucks losing of late. My folks will be out here on June 2nd to celebrate and I was so hoping to have a sliver of hockey bragging rights. There's always the option that we'll last longer in the playoffs than the Canucks, but that would require us to get a powerplay first.

Yeah, like that's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad