1711680730588.jpeg

Last edited:

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
Some levity after a tough one

9131-1532336916.jpg

Strange memories on this nervous night in Manitoba. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. Winnipeg in 2017-18 was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run... but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant...

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bulls--t, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole city comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left Bell MTS Place half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Provencher Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Winnipeg Jets Starter jacket... booming through Main Street at the lights of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights and the Richardson Building and Union Station, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at VJ's Drive Inn too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change)... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that...

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across St. Vital, then up in Transcona or down Portage Avenue to St. James or Headingley... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of New and Evil. Not in any on ice or concourse brawls; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...

So now, more than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Westview Park and look East, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Special teams have been the Achilles heal all season.

I said in another thread I would be happy as long as the team was competitive in the first round. Now, after a brutal run down the stretch I will be surprised if we aren't swept.

It is hard being a fan of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad