Post-Game Talk: 0-for-5 on the PP and the last 5 games, Jets lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, people saying shit like "move this team back to Atlanta, I'm done" can stay away
Was talking to a buddy and he said the only way we get better and have a chance at winning a Cup is blowing it all up so we get the 1st pick in the draft. I just said ya ok are you going to go and watch games while we struggle to win 15 games all year and he said no. So i said what we are doing is the only way we can do it in Winnipeg, make decent picks like we have and add to it. He said so no chance to ever win a Cup move the team then. :laugh:I then said remember what it was like with no team? It sucked and he agreed. :laugh:Some people will just never be happy.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
They are absolutely trying to find that perfect shot - and that might explain the perpetual passing and the tentative shooting choices.
55/81 seem to be over thinking things out there - I wish they would just get it on the net and send the rest in for rebounds / tips / screens.
In my mind, the problem goes back to the lack of purpose that is in our PP. It seems they simply try get into positions to move the puck around and as you say eventually try for that best shot opportunity. The purpose should be to attack with the puck at differing spots with a view to actually getting the defensive box or diamond to move, preferably to shrink towards the net. This can only be accomplished by Scheif, Vilardi Monahan and Connor acting together to attack one defenseman or the other. The high defenders then have to shrink back to help the outnumbered lower defenceman, creating the opportunity for putting the puck back to Morrisey who can move in from the blueline to the the top of the circles. He now can more effectively shoot on net directly ,or, still pass off to either Scheif or Connor with Monahan and Vilardi doing their netfront schtick.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Was talking to a buddy and he said the only way we get better and have a chance at winning a Cup is blowing it all up so we get the 1st pick in the draft. I just said ya ok are you going to go and watch games while we struggle to win 15 games all year and he said no. So i said what we are doing is the only way we can do it in Winnipeg, make decent picks like we have and add to it. He said so no chance to ever win a Cup move the team then. :laugh:I then said remember what it was like with no team? It sucked and he agreed. :laugh:Some people will just never be happy.
Well if the team moves he can tell people he told them so and be satisfied the rest of his life. Because we will never get another NHL franchise again.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
One other thing i saw last night is Gus is a pretty smart player defensively, i know he isn't going to score 20 goals in a season but he's really good defensively.
all those smarts and getting out shot/chanced/scored on. he should be decent at something i guess otherwise what exactly is the point of him? he's probably the worst and least creative offensive fwd we've iced in a few years.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
There is a chance we may play Vancouver in the first round now, maybe we win and you get the ultimate bragging rights.

I still have PTSD from the '92 and '93 playoff losses to the Canucks, I'd love to see the Jets eliminate them.
It would be a dream come true to play Vancouver and dump them from the playoffs. Of course, the nightmare scenario also begins with playing Vancouver...

My dad and baby sister (23, law student) are avid Canucks fans, as was I up until two years ago. Naturally, my texts are full of all sorts of two-way needling, depending upon whose team is up or down. Won in Feb, lost in March. And my sis' FB is full of anti-Jets memes. If we can finish ahead of Vancouver in any way, it would be fabulous. If we get bumped early and the Canucks aren't, I'll hear about it from her and Dad when they step off the plane.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
all those smarts and getting out shot/chanced/scored on. he should be decent at something i guess otherwise what exactly is the point of him? he's probably the worst and least creative offensive fwd we've iced in a few years.
Not saying he should be on our 1st line or 2nd or 3rd just that he made a few nice defensive plays last night.

It would be a dream come true to play Vancouver and dump them from the playoffs. Of course, the nightmare scenario also begins with playing Vancouver...

My dad and baby sister (23, law student) are avid Canucks fans, as was I up until two years ago. Naturally, my texts are full of all sorts of two-way needling, depending upon whose team is up or down. Won in Feb, lost in March. And my sis' FB is full of anti-Jets memes. If we can finish ahead of Vancouver in any way, it would be fabulous. If we get bumped early and the Canucks aren't, I'll hear about it from her and Dad when they step off the plane.
Family, what can you do eh ? :laugh:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

vilardi doing pp drills so should be good to go tomorrow

Yes it`s good to see Scheif on the wall passing down to Vilardi who then takes one of the options to bump out to Monahan, Much better. But if Scheif would come off the wall when the situation permitted and attack the defender with Vilardi and Monahan helping, the scoring options might open dramatically.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Celebrate? Is that when you graduate? When do you find out if you have your degree?
Convocation is June 4th. Got my M.A. a few weeks ago when I passed my oral. Dad and Mom and sister will be here for a few days.

Dad will celebrate (he's Italian and celebrates everything), Mom will have a terse smile (dour Scot) and remind me of my "wasted years" and the best mentors to approach for my PhD. My sister will want to talk hockey so I'm hoping the Canucks have done a crash and burn before then.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
In my mind, the problem goes back to the lack of purpose that is in our PP. It seems they simply try get into positions to move the puck around and as you say eventually try for that best shot opportunity. The purpose should be to attack with the puck at differing spots with a view to actually getting the defensive box or diamond to move, preferably to shrink towards the net. This can only be accomplished by Scheif, Vilardi Monahan and Connor acting together to attack one defenseman or the other. The high defenders then have to shrink back to help the outnumbered lower defenceman, creating the opportunity for putting the puck back to Morrisey who can move in from the blueline to the the top of the circles. He now can more effectively shoot on net directly ,or, still pass off to either Scheif or Connor with Monahan and Vilardi doing their netfront schtick.
Since every team uses the same 1-3-1/overload structure on the powerplay, it becomes about how to open shot and pass lanes

There is definitely some set plays that can be used (think of schief with the puck on the halfwall, Monahan releases high into the slot sucking the dmen up higher, schief passes to him, he one touches it back to schief who one touches it down low to vilardi who then walks out and sends that cross crease pass to Connor coming across - we've seen that a few times)

But there is also a bit of creativity that goes into reading and reacting to what the PK is giving you. Schief and Connor are elite offensive players, but not overly creative. I think Vilardi is one of the more crafty/creative forwards (along with ehlers and perfetti) and that's another reason why he'll hopefully boost the PP

Convocation is June 4th. Got my M.A. a few weeks ago when I passed my oral. Dad and Mom and sister will be here for a few days.
Congrats! Exciting times, I'm sure

• Love
Reactions: Inanna

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

They shouldn't get TOO cocky...Vancouver has paper tiger written all over them. Then again, maybe the Jets do too...

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
They shouldn't get TOO cocky...Vancouver has paper tiger written all over them. Then again, maybe the Jets do too...
And that's what makes most of the back and forth I share with Dad so much fun. He's been a Canucks fan for so many decades and knows all the horrible players and miserable times so there's a lot of glee involved now that one member of the family lives in a different NHL city. Of course, if I can land an academic appointment back in B.C., everything reverts very, very quickly.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yup - that's one way of doing it - I just want them shooting more - it doesn't have to be as complicated as they appear to be trying to make it.

I think there's a difference between "man, the Jets aren't playing well" and "this team is dead to me" after a couple of losses
Yeah - you get some of that - I don't pay much attention to it.
I'm referring to the group that want to talk some hockey - which includes critiquing.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
After watching Ehlers post game interview you can tell the players are upset and they deserve better results. Ehlers blames himself for the loss because he missed the open net when it was 1-1.
Back and in December these are the games the Jets won. Sometimes the puck goes in and other times you can’t even score in an empty net.
Yes the Devils and Isles games they deserved to lose because they played like crap but the last 3 games could have gone either way.
Where’s our stat guy when the Jets win and it shows the Jets should have lost?
This one doesnt meet the narrative so I’ll post it.
IMG_3709.jpeg

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Family, what can you do eh ? :laugh:
Love them, cherish them, and live at least a thousand kilometres from them. With two high performance parents and two overachieving sisters, it's difficult being the family failure. The impulse to study in Manitoba has taught me a lot about myself and lead to a lot of growth (despite my terrible cooking).

I'd be delighted to stay here but I'm the wrong race for academic opportunities in Manitoba so I'll probably head back to the coast around July or August. This leads to a lot of frustrating and angry conversations with the BF so that's a topic we've agreed not to open any more.

And then there's my deep attachment to the Jets that I've grown over the past two years. I hate to think what happens to that when I score a position in B.C.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Since every team uses the same 1-3-1/overload structure on the powerplay, it becomes about how to open shot and pass lanes

There is definitely some set plays that can be used (think of schief with the puck on the halfwall, Monahan releases high into the slot sucking the dmen up higher, schief passes to him, he one touches it back to schief who one touches it down low to vilardi who then walks out and sends that cross crease pass to Connor coming across - we've seen that a few times)

But there is also a bit of creativity that goes into reading and reacting to what the PK is giving you. Schief and Connor are elite offensive players, but not overly creative. I think Vilardi is one of the more crafty/creative forwards (along with ehlers and perfetti) and that's another reason why he'll hopefully boost the PP

Congrats! Exciting times, I'm sure
Yup, it is very much about how to open shot and pass lanes, basically responding to what the defenders give you. And there are a few set plays that most teams have (except for the Jets apparently). Don`t think that they are quite as detailed /complex as what you have outlined but there are a number of alternatives for isolating a defender and creating odd man advantages and ultimately pressure. I also believe the Jet`s PP is least planned for players moving from behind the net to in front ,often to just try sweep the puck into the net.(Edmonton, with Zack Hyman) a good example. Connor NEVER tried this when they put him below the net but Vilardi is starting to introduce it as well. Good- build it into your attacking plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad