I almost dropped my phone
upload_2018-9-16_23-52-45.png

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am writing this more for me than for those of you reading it.

When the lost season occurred in 2004-05 my career was in shambles. My long time employer TV38 didn't exist anymore, it had become a satellite station for Channel 4 and everybody lost their jobs. Our old studios in Brighton were converted to CBS Radio. TV38 was not a job, it was family.

TV38 had been a part owner of NESN when it started in 1984 but when John Henry and Tom Wener took control in 2002 they wanted their own people. I wound up freelancing on the visiting team feeds for hockey in Boston and likewise for baseball. The lost season ended my marriage and I even went back to driving a cab.

Then I was offered work by the Outdoor Life Network based in Philadelphia. They had just been awarded the NHL US TV contract.

Nhl_oln1_wide.jpg

But OLN allowed me to go to Turin, Italy for the 2006 Olympics and the following year they rebranded as Versus.

OLN/Versus was owned by Comcast and then suddenly Comcast bought NBC and Versus became NBCSN in 2012.

I have been privileged to cover hockey at Olympics in Italy, Vancouver and Sochi, Russia. ( I passed on South Korea )

Now I am in China and being paid by the NHL to teach Chinese cam ops on how to shoot the game and all I can do is pass on the secret that a Montreal cameraman gave me decades ago.

When you lose the puck in the viewfinder, simply pull back and find the referee who should be looking at the puck.

When I get back from China I get 48 hours to decompress and then go to Detroit for NBC football which is a double win as my current GF now lives in Detroit.

I am very lucky that I had some good mentors along the way - NONE better than this director for NBC.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I didn't realize Brick was on the trip.

Bob Beers and Jack Edwards stayed home. Alex is also here.

NESN was going to show the games but some issues came up that could not be resolved. Money was NOT a factor in this.

My body clock is so screwed up now :help: Wide awake at 3:15 AM. I come home on Thursday and leave Beijing at 1 PM and arrive at Logan at 3 PM :huh:
The TV truck we are using just arrived at Cadillac Arena after being delayed by the typhoon, it is a 1,300-mile trip.

The arena is almost a clone of Staples Center in LA but the rink will be KHL 200 x 100 as Beijing has a team in that league.

wSlPoKY.jpg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bob Beers and Jack Edwards stayed home. Alex is also here.

NESN was going to show the games but some issues came up that could not be resolved. Money was NOT a factor in this.

My body clock is so screwed up now :help: Wide awake at 3:15 AM. I come home on Thursday and leave Beijing at 1 PM and arrive at Logan at 3 PM :huh:
The TV truck we are using just arrived at Cadillac Arena after being delayed by the typhoon, it is a 1,300-mile trip.

The arena is almost a clone of Staples Center in LA but the rink will be KHL 200 x 100 as Beijing has a team in that league.

wSlPoKY.jpg

I think it was Fluto that had an article on the logistical nightmares on this trip already. You behind the scenes guys get the short end of the stick. The equipment guys for both teams must be exhausted.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think it was Fluto that had an article on the logistical nightmares on this trip already. You behind the scenes guys get the short end of the stick. The equipment guys for both teams must be exhausted.

Having the largest typhoon in South China history was an unexpected headache. :cry:

There were many no shows at the Saturday game as fans ( especially from adjacent Hong Kong ) feared they would shutdown transit connections and that indeed happened.

The arena in Beijing will be an easy set up. The arena was built for the 2008 Olympic basketball tournament. The arena caters to the very affluent as Cadillac is a coveted status symbol in China.

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Having the largest typhoon in South China history was an unexpected headache. :cry:

There were many no shows at the Saturday game as fans ( especially from adjacent Hong Kong ) feared they would shutdown transit connections and that indeed happened.

The arena in Beijing will be an easy set up. The arena was built for the 2008 Olympic basketball tournament. The arena caters to the very affluent as Cadillac is a coveted status symbol in China.

We had a 1980 black Cadillac. It was pretty (for its time) but that was the biggest lemon my dad ever owned :laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad