Cambridge, MA
:help:

upload_2018-9-14_8-0-40.png

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
They may change the game time to Noon local time tomorrow (Midnight Boston ) as the teams AND ME need to get out of here.

Hong Kong is only 10 miles from us

Hongkongers prepare for worst as Super Typhoon Mangkhut nears

Hongkongers began preparing for the worst on Thursday, boarding up windows, building flood defences, and stocking up on essential items as Super Typhoon Mangkhut edged ever closer to the city.

Predicted to be the most powerful storm since records began, with maximum sustained winds of up to 240km/h (149mph), the tropical cyclone is forecast to pass within 100km (62 miles) of the city on Sunday morning.

The Hong Kong Observatory warned that conditions were expected to deteriorate significantly later in the week, with very hot weather forecast for Friday and Saturday, followed by frequent heavy rain, squalls, and rough seas predicted for later this week
end.
Get out now.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Shinzawa: Playing Frogger on the streets of Shenzhen

Like every Bostonian, I consider jaywalking a personal right. It makes me laugh to visit cities like Washington, of all places, where pedestrians politely wait for walk signs to blink.

Yet in Shenzhen, I held my ground until the walk signs flashed green. I like staying upright, after all.

Even in a modern city like Shenzhen, there appear to be few rules regarding traffic. White and yellow lines, usually regarded as strict boundaries elsewhere, do not even qualify as suggestions to Shenzhen drivers. They wander in and out of lanes without thinking of using turn signals or looking for existing impediments. When, not if, traffic grinds to a halt, impatient cars simply bang a U-turn in search of alternate routes. Pedestrians used to cars giving them the right of way run the risk of tire treads becoming permanent tattoos on their feet.

Then there are the two-wheeled combatants. Bikes, scooters, and motorcycles sometimes go on the roads, but they also consider themselves at home on the sidewalks too. It does not matter if you are walking on territory that, in America, is strictly limited to foot traffic. You must always be on alert, subject to be sideswiped by a moped charging to its destination.

The stunning thing about all this mayhem is the absence of yard sales, to say nothing about fatalities. If this kind of recklessness took place in the Back Bay, Newbury Street would be choked with broken bodies, bikes, and strollers. Boston would operate under martial law.

In Shenzhen, nobody even blinks. This is common life amid the absence of common sense. Pedestrians walk in their straight lines and motorists travel in their curvy ones, all while staring at their ubiquitous phones.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Shinzawa: Playing Frogger on the streets of Shenzhen

Like every Bostonian, I consider jaywalking a personal right. It makes me laugh to visit cities like Washington, of all places, where pedestrians politely wait for walk signs to blink.

Yet in Shenzhen, I held my ground until the walk signs flashed green. I like staying upright, after all.

Even in a modern city like Shenzhen, there appear to be few rules regarding traffic. White and yellow lines, usually regarded as strict boundaries elsewhere, do not even qualify as suggestions to Shenzhen drivers. They wander in and out of lanes without thinking of using turn signals or looking for existing impediments. When, not if, traffic grinds to a halt, impatient cars simply bang a U-turn in search of alternate routes. Pedestrians used to cars giving them the right of way run the risk of tire treads becoming permanent tattoos on their feet.

Then there are the two-wheeled combatants. Bikes, scooters, and motorcycles sometimes go on the roads, but they also consider themselves at home on the sidewalks too. It does not matter if you are walking on territory that, in America, is strictly limited to foot traffic. You must always be on alert, subject to be sideswiped by a moped charging to its destination.

The stunning thing about all this mayhem is the absence of yard sales, to say nothing about fatalities. If this kind of recklessness took place in the Back Bay, Newbury Street would be choked with broken bodies, bikes, and strollers. Boston would operate under martial law.

In Shenzhen, nobody even blinks. This is common life amid the absence of common sense. Pedestrians walk in their straight lines and motorists travel in their curvy ones, all while staring at their ubiquitous phones.
I found a new appreciation for crosswalks after 2 weeks in Manila.

Dodging cars and scooters should be an Olympic sport

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A woman runs in the rainstorm as Typhoon Mangkhut approaches, in Shenzhen, China September 16, 2018

d2b1f411ca524ac78859abc916f49348.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I thought I knew what to expect - not even close :laugh:

Shinzawa: Bruins immersed in wonder at Great Wall of China

41927454_10216040750264270_6680198158590410752_n.jpg

BEIJING — “Holy shit,” said David Pastrnak.

Pastrnak, Jake DeBrusk, and video coach J.P. Buckley had been standing atop one of the watchtowers of the Great Wall’s Mutianyu section, accessible only because of boosts from Brandon Carlo and Kevan Miller. Pastrnak’s utterance came when he turned around from his perch, identified how high he was above a perilous drop, and felt the rush of danger.

This, mind you, coming from a 22-year-old adrenaline junkie whose regular work hazards include being chased by 220-pound monsters with sticks, elbows, and other assorted appendages meant to break bones.

Shinzawa: Bruins immersed in wonder at Great Wall of China

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Sooo they’re done in China correct?

Also, did Vaak not make the trip? I missed that if so. I wanna see the kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad