Boston Bruins 火熊熊將在2018年O.R.G. NHL中國運動會

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It was the Bruins plane - Calgary's charter was supposed to be on Sunday and the plane wasn't even there. What nobody understood was the truck would have to be inspected everytime it entered another province.

The NHL also wanted to make sure the photo op at the Great Wall happened.
By all means, let's get those pictures, never mind the impending destruction of human life and property :help:

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
By all means, let's get those pictures, never mind the impending destruction of human life and property :help:

Hong Kong was clobbered.

Hong Kong to review post-storm arrangements after typhoon chaos

Shenzhen had to clobbered as well
upload_2018-9-21_15-25-43.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Story in a Beijing newspaper

Skating into Chinese mainstream - People's Daily Online

Cheered by an announced crowd of 12,933 on Wednesday, the Bruins completed a sweep of the China trip with a 3-1 win over the Flames. And even though thousands of fans left after the second period-presumably believing it was a two-half game-the remainder cheered loudly whenever there was a big hit, a scoring opportunity or a great save.

According to Tencent, NHL's digital media partner in China, the number of simultaneous online viewers for Wednesday's game reached 300,000 in the third period, up from 65,000 during last year's Beijing matchup between the Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Now that I am home some final thoughts on the trip.

The problem with the equipment at customs in Shenzhen really screwed up both teams and it never should have happened. The theory is a local official in Shenzhen was expecting an envelope that they did not get.

The second snafu with equipment leaving Shenzhen was because of the typhoon that hit the city the following day. I was put on that flight after the Saturday game because of NHL wanted all of us out of there.

Internet access all depended on setting up a VPN in the US before going to China. I have a VPN from Xfinity that you need to push for as they don't make it readily available but what it does is mimic my home network. The Chinese don't care if I have full access to the net they only want to block their own citizens. The most important thing was always connect by WiFi as using a Chinese telecom could result in astronomical bills.

China is primarily a rural country except for the megacities and believe me the megacities make New York City look like Buffalo.

The NHL told us in BOLD LETTERS not to rent a car but to use a rideshare app called DiDi and I had no issues with them.

Their subways and train lines are so advanced from what we have in North America it makes me :cry:

One thing really stood out - When talking to locals that spoke English, when I said I was from Boston they all replied Harvard or MIT.

That did not surprise me as being a Cambridge native, every summer hundreds of tour buses from New York would arrive in Harvard Sq to give tours to Asians.

One final thought - seeing Boston and the capital of North Korea on the same departure board was strange.

View attachment 141189

PS - There are more English signs in Beijing than Poutineville :)
Superb write up Kevin, welcome back!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Superb write up Kevin, welcome back!

Thanks It was an experience :)

China 1.379 billion

USA 325.7 million
Russia 144.3 million
Canada 36.29 million
Czech Republic 10.56 million
Sweden 9.903 million
Finland 5.495 million
Slovakia 5.429 million

It is almost impossible to grasp the population in China.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

China 1.379 billion

USA 325.7 million
Russia 144.3 million
Canada 36.29 million
Sweden 9.903 million
Finland 5.495 million
Slovakia 5.429 million

And apparently they were all on the road the other day....

So the Bruins did a Chinese fire drill... in China :sarcasm:

Reactions: talkinaway

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

China 1.379 billion

USA 325.7 million
Russia 144.3 million
Canada 36.29 million
Sweden 9.903 million
Finland 5.495 million
Slovakia 5.429 million

India has pretty much the same population in a territory that's one third the size of China.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad