Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Deep Breath

Get on the right plane - do not wind up in North Korea

Tbillsi???????????????????

42111191_10216067600215502_8815568998088310784_n.jpg

Be careful - not all flights to Georgia wind up in the US!

There actually was a case a few years back of someone who accidentally wound up in Pyongyang when they really meant to go to Pyeongchang - which is why they used CamelCase for the 2018 Olympics.

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

There actually was a case a few years back of someone who accidentally wound up in Pyongyang when they really meant to go to Pyeongchang - which is why they used CamelCase for the 2018 Olympics.
tayed

I stayed awake all night with the hope I can trick the body. Flying East is always hard but the date line may work in my favor

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Like that time Stephanie and Michelle Tanner got on the plane to Auckland instead of Oakland...

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Welcome back!

Hainan Airlines is by far the best airline I have ever flown with. Their attention to detail is unheard of today.

https://www.hainanairlines.com/US/US/Home

Hainan Airlines said:
We carefully selected the Cirrus 3 Herringbone seats for our Business Class cabin to ensure the utmost comfort and ease for our passengers. Guests can freely access their seats thanks to a generous 11-inch gap between the aisle and the seat. Each seat can reach a length of 78-inches when fully reclined at 180 degrees.

*Has visions of Krug filling out the end-of-flight questionnaire with all 5s, and Chara filling it out with all 1s*

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Welcome back!

*Has visions of Krug filling out the end-of-flight questionnaire with all 5s, and Chara filling it out with all 1s*

I am thankful to the NHL and NBC who sent me on this odyssey and paid for business class. My Thursday is now approaching 30 hours with 6 more to go. :help:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Now that I am home some final thoughts on the trip.

The problem with the equipment at customs in Shenzhen really screwed up both teams and it never should have happened. The theory is a local official in Shenzhen was expecting an envelope that they did not get.

The second snafu with equipment leaving Shenzhen was because of the typhoon that hit the city the following day. I was put on that flight after the Saturday game because of NHL wanted all of us out of there.

Internet access all depended on setting up a VPN in the US before going to China. I have a VPN from Xfinity that you need to push for as they don't make it readily available but what it does is mimic my home network. The Chinese don't care if I have full access to the net they only want to block their own citizens. The most important thing was always connect by WiFi as using a Chinese telecom could result in astronomical bills.

China is primarily a rural country except for the megacities and believe me the megacities make New York City look like Buffalo.

The NHL told us in BOLD LETTERS not to rent a car but to use a rideshare app called DiDi and I had no issues with them.

Their subways and train lines are so advanced from what we have in North America it makes me :cry:

One thing really stood out - When talking to locals that spoke English, when I said I was from Boston they all replied Harvard or MIT.

That did not surprise me as being a Cambridge native, every summer hundreds of tour buses from New York would arrive in Harvard Sq to give tours to Asians.

One final thought - seeing Boston and the capital of North Korea on the same departure board was strange.

Capture1.PNG

PS - There are more English signs in Beijing than Poutineville :)

Reactions: Strafer and sooshii

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Now that I am home some final thoughts on the trip.

The problem with the equipment at customs in Shenzhen really screwed up both teams and it never should have happened. The theory is a local official in Shenzhen was expecting an envelope that they did not get.

The second snafu with equipment leaving Shenzhen was because of the typhoon that hit the city the following day. I was put on that flight after the Saturday game because of NHL wanted all of us out of there.

Internet access all depended on setting up a VPN in the US before going to China. I have a VPN from Xfinity that you need to push for as they don't make it readily available but what it does is mimic my home network. The Chinese don't care if I have full access to the net they only want to block their own citizens. The most important thing was always connect by WiFi as using a Chinese telecom could result in astronomical bills.

China is primarily a rural country except for the megacities and believe me the megacities make New York City look like Buffalo.

The NHL told us in BOLD LETTERS not to rent a car but to use a rideshare app called DiDi and I had no issues with them.

Their subways and train lines are so advanced from what we have in North America it makes me :cry:

One thing really stood out - When talking to locals that spoke English, when I said I was from Boston they all replied Harvard or MIT.

That did not surprise me as being a Cambridge native, every summer hundreds of tour buses from New York would arrive in Harvard Sq to give tours to Asians.

One final thought - seeing Boston and the capital of North Korea on the same departure board was strange.

View attachment 141189

PS - There are more English signs in Beijing than Poutineville :)
So you were on the flight with the Bruins and Flames out of Shenzhen? Or am I misunderstanding that?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Everybody was on that plane and it really was the last plane out of Dodge.
I heard some of the Flames had to fly coach due to lack of room in first class, and they weren't real happy. Did they draw straws or something? :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I heard some of the Flames had to fly coach due to lack of room in first class, and they weren't real happy. Did they draw straws or something? :laugh:

It was the Bruins plane - Calgary's charter was supposed to be on Sunday and the plane wasn't even there. What nobody understood was the truck would have to be inspected everytime it entered another province.

The NHL also wanted to make sure the photo op at the Great Wall happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad