OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
3CE7C569-745D-4EE5-974B-B83490A8C1DD.gif
9D30516D-377C-44E5-A287-3B3933222129.gif

Sorry for the Bateman mania guys. There’s just… something in the air tonight.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Have you seen Phil Collins? He’s a mess. He has some sorta crippling spine issue. He has to sit while he performs.

Yeah, he has stated it’s nerve damage and that’s why he doesn’t play drums anymore, but the speculation is that it’s a degenerative disorder. Very sad. But he had a life and career most people could only dream of between Genesis and his solo career and film scores.
FED163D9-DC6D-4F61-B11A-2D7D6B37E403.gif

Reactions: Cmox

ncdoc

Oct 10, 2015
Great family vacation this week. Too much debauchery. Gave this a long listen a few times, been too long. Still haven't figured out embedding. Shame about Barrett...

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Yeah, he has stated it’s nerve damage and that’s why he doesn’t play drums anymore, but the speculation is that it’s a degenerative disorder. Very sad. But he had a life and career most people could only dream of between Genesis and his solo career and film scores. View attachment 467655

From a prog rock drummer to doing crazy ambient sessions with Brian Eno to a lead singer to the first breakout star of the 1980s (before Michael Jackson and Madonna).

In some ways he was the original Dave Grohl, but without being annoying (I like Grohl as a drummer and Foos have their moments but the guy doesn't STFU to the press about anything and everything).

He also made that 80s drum sound famous from In The Air Tonight. Here's the origin when he recorded with his good friend and former bandmate Peter Gabriel months before he did his solo album:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I've been on a Hall & Oates kick lately. More of their 70s stuff but overall excellent songwriters.

It just kind of happened. I never truly paid attention to them being from a hard rock background/funk/faster music background.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
From a prog rock drummer to doing crazy ambient sessions with Brian Eno to a lead singer to the first breakout star of the 1980s (before Michael Jackson and Madonna).

He also made that 80s drum sound famous from In The Air Tonight. Here's the origin when he recorded with his good friend and former bandmate Peter Gabriel months before he did his solo album:

Kind of a fun story:

When I was starting to apply to grad schools, I had a friend whose step-dad had discovered and managed Genesis.

My friend was like "Do you want Phil to write you a letter of recommendation for grad school?"

"Really?"

"Well, his personal assistant will write it - he's just gonna sign it."

"Sure!"

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in those admissions offices when they were reading my letters of recommendation. :biglaugh:

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Can you feel it ?

I did indeed feel it, on that one fine evening.

I am also 4 nice strong brews into the evening with no food as I await a pizza, so I’m feeling it a bit tonight too.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I did indeed feel it, on that one fine evening.

I am also 4 nice strong brews into the evening with no food as I await a pizza, so I’m feeling it a bit tonight too.
Haha, nice. I’m doing 8%ers tonight in preparation for a late night Geo start. May the lord help us.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Haha, nice. I’m doing 8%ers tonight in preparation for a late night Geo start. May the lord help us.

Just about the same. On my 5th now. First (at work, end of day) was a 5.5er, everything since has been 7-9%. Drinking a wee heavy scotch ale now. Ready for a McDrai massacre, but open to being pleasantly surprised.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Lovin the new stuff on the Tattoo You reissue
Highlights for me are Start Me Up (reggae version) They originally recorded
Start Me Up as a reggae song but it evolved into a rocker.
Fast Talking Slow Walking, it has always been one of my favourites from the vaults. When I heard that it was going to be on the Tattoo You reissue, I was worried that they won't do it justice like No Spare Parts (the original from the vaults is so much better than the one on the Some Girls reissue) but it's awesome.
Chantilly Lace live Oh Baby that's what I like

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lovin the new stuff on the Tattoo You reissue
Highlights for me are Start Me Up (reggae version) They originally recorded
Start Me Up as a reggae song but it evolved into a rocker.
Fast Talking Slow Walking, it has always been one of my favourites from the vaults. When I heard that it was going to be on the Tattoo You reissue, I was worried that they won't do it justice like No Spare Parts (the original from the vaults is so much better than the one on the Some Girls reissue) but it's awesome.
Chantilly Lace live Oh Baby that's what I like

To me the early Stones were an excellent band but my interest in them kind of peaked with Exile on Main St and after that everything was downhill. I would have been 19/20 when Punk hit in England and hearing the raw vibe and energy of the Clash’s first album sent me in a completely different direction. I liked their messaging a lot as well and the mixing in of reggae. The Ruts were a band a lot like the Clash only with a little more musical chops but their singer and main lyric guy died very young from a heroin overdose. Both early Rock against Racism bands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad