OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The new Converge album is out next week. It's a collaboration with Chelsea Wolfe. Very curious. They've become one of my favorite bands the last 6-7 years. The singles are decent and too long in my opinion, but it won't be boring to say the least.

New Mastodon was pretty good. A little bloated but good in a proggy metal way.

Reactions: Brief Candle

deathb4disco

Oct 19, 2010
Flowery Branch GA
The new Converge album is out next week. It's a collaboration with Chelsea Wolfe. Very curious. They've become one of my favorite bands the last 6-7 years. The singles are decent and too long in my opinion, but it won't be boring to say the least.

New Mastodon was pretty good. A little bloated but good in a proggy metal way.
New Mastodon really grew on me

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Got into Spiritbox a handful of months back and kinda forgot about how awesome they are. This song popped on the radio this morning on my way to work, was exactly what I needed at 6 in the morning.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I saw the Edgar Wright Sparks Brothers documentary last weekend. Easily my favorite film of the year.

I've known about them since I was in college but really only started listening the last few years.

They've been around for over 50 years, did the classic rock, post punk, disco, new wave, big bad, etc.....they've done it all.

This is from their new wave period. Funny video, a lot of intentional and unintentional humor in their music.

Reactions: Brief Candle

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I saw the Edgar Wright Sparks Brothers documentary last weekend. Easily my favorite film of the year.

I've known about them since I was in college but really only started listening the last few years.

They've been around for over 50 years, did the classic rock, post punk, disco, new wave, big bad, etc.....they've done it all.

This is from their new wave period. Funny video, a lot of intentional and unintentional humor in their music.

Sparks are genius! Love those guys!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I remember RACING to the record store after school to get this the day it came out. Good times. I swear they just got better every record.
Must have been an awesome day!

It’s tough, but in my opinion, Red Medicine is their best album; so confident, authoritative, tight. Also it was the first record that Fugazi produced themselves, which is why is sounds amazingly like you’re standing right there in the room watching it.

The Argument
is the only one that sounds better, I think (but not by much).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Vee Vee (1995) by Archers of Loaf has a very special place in my heart.

Lovable, blatantly-indie, 1990s rock. Clever, scathing, charming, honest lyrics: poetic and illustrative one line, then unpoetic, crude, raging in-your-face the next, but always real. A band with songs titled “Audiowhore”, “All Hail the Black Market”, and “White Trash Heroes” sharing the same catalog with “Scenic Pastures”, “Distance Comes In Droves”, and “Telepathic Traffic”.

Their sound—much like their lyrics—was so…contradicting, wonky…all this [awesome] shit going on at once that somehow fit perfectly together; maybe mid-tempo punk rhythm, but with these alternatively-tuned guitars taking turns screeching and noodling with riffs and feedback.

This song below was so good when it came out that it got them booked on a tour with Weezer (and this was when Weezer was just exploding [below]):

The 2012 reissue has some good bonus tracks, but for pure aural pleasure, the original 1995 pressing of Vee Vee—which was produced by Bob Weston (the alternative/underground rock producer, and band member of Steve Albini in Shellacsounds absolutely amazing (especially the vinyl).

Booming drums, the rumbling bass…the first time I heard Vee Vee, I immediately felt confident that Steve Albini had produced it.

…but those guitars…oh, man, those, screeching, buzzing, tender, violent, clean/overdriven/distorted/imploding (and occasionally acoustic) poor, poor guitars must have completely disintegrated by the time they wrapped. :laugh:

When “Harnessed in Slums", the loser-licking highlight from the Archers' second masterstroke Vee Vee, made its way to alt-rock radio, the Archers found themselves with an opening slot on Weezer's post-Blue, pre-Pinkerton tour and the ear of a few major labels.
Archers of Loaf: Reissues

This indie-rock band was/is the gem of all gems.

Last edited:

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
upload_2021-12-18_17-7-52.jpeg

Reactions: egelband

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Vee Vee (1995) by Archers of Loaf has a very special place in my heart.

Lovable, blatantly-indie, 1990s rock. Clever, scathing, charming, honest lyrics: poetic and illustrative one line, then unpoetic, crude, raging in-your-face the next, but always real. A band with songs titled “Audiowhore”, “All Hail the Black Market”, and “White Trash Heroes” sharing the same catalog with “Scenic Pastures”, “Distance Comes In Droves”, and “Telepathic Traffic”.

Their sound—much like their lyrics—was so…contradicting, wonky…all this [awesome] shit going on at once that somehow fit perfectly together; maybe mid-tempo punk rhythm, but with these alternatively-tuned guitars taking turns screeching and noodling with riffs and feedback.

This song below was so good when it came out that it got them booked on a tour with Weezer (and this was when Weezer was just exploding [below]):

The 2012 reissue has some good bonus tracks, but for pure aural pleasure, the original 1995 pressing of Vee Vee—which was produced by Bob Weston (the alternative/underground rock producer, and band member of Steve Albini in Shellacsounds absolutely amazing (especially the vinyl).

Booming drums, the rumbling bass…the first time I heard Vee Vee, I immediately felt confident that Steve Albini had produced it.

…but those guitars…oh, man, those, screeching, buzzing, tender, violent, clean/overdriven/distorted/imploding (and occasionally acoustic) poor, poor guitars must have completely disintegrated by the time they wrapped. :laugh:

Archers of Loaf: Reissues

This indie-rock band was/is the gem of all gems.

I was at this show! Man were the 90's a f***ing good time for indie rock.

Archers of Loaf Setlist at Maxwell's, Hoboken

Reactions: egelband

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Ive been overlooking this thread for a while but the last few months have been awesome for heavy music!

Pretty much any of these could be album of the year for me

Rivers of Nihil - The Work

Mastodon - Hushed and Grim

Be'lakor - Coherence

Whitechapel - Kin
https://youtu.be/R-C4dnmfz0s

Between The Buried And Me - Colors 2
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_naVTlL48LZVhB72-dktnRMfqK1xNp7WAA

Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k6Jj-bNBv2Sm9vPMk6-URYZAga8GRM45o

Swallow the Sun - Moonflowers
https://youtu.be/YCn0JV4WFJg

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Metallica is playing their second 40th anniversary show tonight in SF, and Prime Video is live streaming it. Begins at midnight. First show was Friday night, and they played a couple of surprise songs. The band has said that the two shows have two completely different sets.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Primus is doing A Farewell To Kings by Rush in its entirety with Battles (the indie funky math rock experimental band of former Helmet and current Tomahawk drummer John Stainer) opening. I didn't get tickets yet because I just spent it on Converge/Meshuggah, which is postponed until the fall due to an injury from one of Meshuggah's guitar players (and Converge no longer on the tour due to scheduling conflicts).

Next album I'm interested in is Fragments by Chill Hop veteran Bonobo. I haven't loved his last two albums so this is in some ways a last chance for him (I loved his 2006 and 2010 releases). Good single.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad