OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This is the best track the Cure ever recorded, AINEC:

I'm a Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me guy. That album was very diverse and did a little of everything. I like when The Cure got funky and Smith played some tremendous rhythm guitar on that album. Simon Gallup is a hero among heroes with his bass tone.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Your band could never be this cool:

Two very interesting albums. The original Bad brains album came out in a cassette (not in an LP or even an 8 track which were around in those days) in 1981 or 82. The cassette was yellow and I use to have two of them and I’m pretty sure I still have at least one. The company that put it out were ROIR which was independent of the entire music business of the time. This wasn’t unusual for bunk bands of the time but the cassette as the only medium of use was. Without doubt it was one of the most pieces of sustained musical attack I had ever heard and an argument could easily be made that the Brains were the best American punk band ever.

I have that Adolescents Lp. It was one of my favorites from the southern LA punk scene. A very very record almost a document of a time and place. It brings a couple other bands to mind from the same general area. Agent Orange the first surf punk band and Savage Republic.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Two very interesting albums. The original Bad brains album came out in a cassette (not in an LP or even an 8 track which were around in those days) in 1981 or 82. The cassette was yellow and I use to have two of them and I’m pretty sure I still have at least one. The company that put it out were ROIR which was independent of the entire music business of the time. This wasn’t unusual for bunk bands of the time but the cassette as the only medium of use was. Without doubt it was one of the most pieces of sustained musical attack I had ever heard and an argument could easily be made that the Brains were the best American punk band ever.

I have that Adolescents Lp. It was one of my favorites from the southern LA punk scene. A very very record almost a document of a time and place. It brings a couple other bands to mind from the same general area. Agent Orange the first surf punk band and Savage Republic.
As per usual, you are the man, @eco's bones .

That’s crazy, I just looked it up on Discogs real quick. Nothing but cassette until like 1989-1990. That yellow one is up on there $86.00 haha. It’s so cool though.

Original pressing of the Adolescents LP up for $210.00.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rongomania

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As per usual, you are the man, @eco's bones .

That’s crazy, I just looked it up on Discogs real quick. Nothing but cassette until like 1989-1990. That yellow one is up on there $86.00 haha. It’s so cool though.

Original pressing of the Adolescents LP up for $210.00.

It helps being an old geezer to have some of this stuff. A lot of people I think don’t realize that between the British Invasion/Vietnam war era and the Ramones/Sex Pistols coming in 1975/76 was just about a dozen years. Such a breakout of musical artistic creativity followed by the do it yourself reaction of punk which pretty much democratized music in that anybody with the chutzpah could make something of a go of it. I see the origins of rap pretty much as another democratizing reaction. People will find ways to express themselves and if they’re not happy it can lead to the hurt feelings of other people who don’t like it.

For quite a while I have to admit I was so belligerently punk or post punk rock that apart from the Velvet Underground and the Doors I wouldn’t listen to anything else. It’s still my go to but I’m open up to other things too. There’s reggae and Motown and rap that I like too. A friend of mine came around with his bass guitar a couple years ago and started playing the Temptations My Girl and that’s a killer riff.

It’s different as well as we did LP’s and a lot of that IMO is just better and cooler. It fits into the collector’s mania also like sports cards and other collectibles. It was about the last thing I had in mind when I bought those records though.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It helps being an old geezer to have some of this stuff. A lot of people I think don’t realize that between the British Invasion/Vietnam war era and the Ramones/Sex Pistols coming in 1975/76 was just about a dozen years. Such a breakout of musical artistic creativity followed by the do it yourself reaction of punk which pretty much democratized music in that anybody with the chutzpah could make something of a go of it. I see the origins of rap pretty much as another democratizing reaction. People will find ways to express themselves and if they’re not happy it can lead to the hurt feelings of other people who don’t like it.

For quite a while I have to admit I was so belligerently punk or post punk rock that apart from the Velvet Underground and the Doors I wouldn’t listen to anything else. It’s still my go to but I’m open up to other things too. There’s reggae and Motown and rap that I like too. A friend of mine came around with his bass guitar a couple years ago and started playing the Temptations My Girl and that’s a killer riff.

It’s different as well as we did LP’s and a lot of that IMO is just better and cooler. It fits into the collector’s mania also like sports cards and other collectibles. It was about the last thing I had in mind when I bought those records though.
I’m the same way. I don’t wander very far outside of Punk/Post-Punk/Hardcore/Indie/Math rock/Post-Rock/Shoegaze/Dream Pop/Noise rock/Space rock/Krautrock. They all have essentially the same lineage/genealogy to me.

Other than that, I do like some Rap/Hip-Hop (for many of the same reasons, like you said,) but the artists absolutely do not extend beyond the late-80s to mid-90s...Beastie Boys, Big L, Notorious BIG, Nas, etc.

Also Classical...Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven mostly. But is it even possible to not be a fan of Classical? :help:

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’m the same way. I don’t wander very far outside of Punk/Post-Punk/Hardcore/Indie/Math rock/Post-Rock/Shoegaze/Dream Pop/Noise rock/Space rock/Krautrock. They all have essentially the same lineage/genealogy to me.

Other than that, I do like some Rap/Hip-Hop (for many of the same reasons, like you said,) but the artists absolutely do not extend beyond the late-80s to mid-90s...Beastie Boys, Big L, Notorious BIG, Nas, etc.

Also Classical...Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven mostly. But is it even possible to not be a fan of Classical? :help:

ROIR put out other cassettes and one was a compilation called New York Thrash and I have that too. The Beastie Boys had two songs on that and they were a hardcore band then—that was about a couple/three years maybe before You got to fight for your right to party.

I think sometimes what happens when somebody or some genre makes it too big and too much money gets involved things get lost and ruined or at least for me.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
New Dinosaur Jr. came out this week. It was produced by Kurt Vile. Very good. I'll continue to soak it up.

This Friday is Gojira for all you metal fans. Those dudes are pretty consistent.

Mudvayne recently got back together. I was never a huge fan but I always loved Ryan Martinie as a bassist. He has this recent project called Soften The Glare I might check out.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Quicksand a post hardcore band from NY which was popular for a few years in the mid-90s is putting out their fourth album in August.

Walter Schreifels the singer/guitarist and primary songwriter is also in the Gorilla Biscuits, another NYCHC legend.

Sergio Vega, the bassist, joined The Deftones after Chi Cheng's accident.

Very underrated band which is 3/3 with releases.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Your band could never be this cool:

It's crazy how they were never the biggest band on the planet. They had everything. Even I Against I which went more metal and funky and mainstream was a great record.

They were always around even in the background. I remember when Madonna signed them to Maverick in 1995 and they got some press with a new album.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I've seen videos popping up on Instagram of the Foo Fighters playing a recent concert at MSG. It'll be nice to go to a concert again. My friend and I had tickets to see Pearl Jam at the Garden in March last year but they postponed it once it became clear that COVID was going to explode. I haven't seen a band play live since I saw TOOL in November 2019.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->