NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Daft Punk is no more.
6JZxiq5.png

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes I just listen to the first 15 seconds of Spiderland on repeat.

One of the great things about them was they were just children but the music they made was awesome and as unique as it possibly could be. They weren’t really comparable to anyone that came before them. They owned their sound.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Can someone explain why whenever I listen to this in particular raw version of Zombie before it was even released, that I can't not think that it should be considered one of the greatest songs ever!. I dunno...I need to probably get some smelling salts but I can't get over how phenomenal this sounds and how tragic it is that Dolores O'Riordan is no longer with us:

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Can someone explain why whenever I listen to this in particular raw version of Zombie before it was even released, that I can't not think that it should be considered one of the greatest songs ever!. I dunno...I need to probably get some smelling salts but I can't get over how phenomenal this sounds and how tragic it is that Dolores O'Riordan is no longer with us:

Thanks for sharing, have never heard this performance. She was a special talent.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Thanks for sharing, have never heard this performance. She was a special talent.

Yah...my pleasure. This performance just gets to you right in the soul. It's raw passion not to mention some of the best lyrics ever composed makes this probably the best version of the song I've ever heard.

Doloras's voice btw is just so buttery and soothing. I could listen to her all day which I in fact did a few days ago to help celebrate St.Paddy's Day...hah

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

Heard this song in a playlist a few months ago and haven't been able to stop listening to it

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Did not expect to be talking about Slint on this forum this morning. How about some post-Slint?

bruh I always share 1990’s hipster post-this and post-that music on here and immediately follow it up with some obnoxious, half-assed rant/thesis about the band. :laugh:

Case in point:

Yeah, man, Spiderland is probably the most mysterious album I’ve heard in my life.

It evokes the same indescribable emotions as Classical music, (yes, I do really believe that some music that doesn’t make any sense, concocted in 1990’s Louisville, KY, by a group of really weird teenagers in their mom’s basement, shares parallels with Classical music,) that is to say, emotions for which words don’t exist, and/or combinations of emotions that don’t really make sense together.

The album cover says it all...it’s so desolate and isolated, yet you see a group of obvious friends looking playful. It’s nightmarish; that cover might as well be four aliens going for a dip on Mars.

upload_2021-3-19_18-29-50.jpeg

Significant and enigmatic album that basically hit rock music like an asteroid (somewhat reminding me of Post-Impressionism).

Like what the hell are you supposed to feel after listening to ‘Breadcrumb Trail’? First of all the first 10 seconds of that “song” can stand up against the first 10 seconds of literally any song ever made. The guitar intro is so...I don’t know, it just sounds like the snap of a hypnotist’s fingers. Then it spends a minute quietly building up only to plunge the track into this ~4-minute violent nightmare, and, the most genius moment of the whole album, with [again] a minute remaining, the fingers snap back into that intro (which by that point had already been blown out of your memory). It’s actually genius; you cannot plan to create something like that.

And that subtle drum roll in the intro that dribbles over the bar into the second measure...I mean Mogwai practically made their entire career out of that split-second drum roll.

Again I have to ask: what the hell actually goes on in f***ing Kentucky?

tl;dr: album called Spiderland sounds like exactly that.

Last edited:

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
^ Also this is kind of hilarious:

@Brief Candle have not listened to The For Carnation before, not sure if I’ve ever heard of them.

They're very hit or miss if you ask me. Then again even Slint was hit or miss. Spiderland is brilliant, but that's about it, imo. It's WHAT they and when they did it that was special.

Unrelated to Slint, but this has been in my head all morning:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
bruh I always share 1990’s hipster post-this and post-that music on here and immediately follow it up with some obnoxious, half-assed rant/thesis about the band. :laugh:

Case in point:

Yeah, man, Spiderland is probably the most mysterious album I’ve heard in my life.

It evokes the same indescribable emotions as Classical music, (yes, I do really believe that some music that doesn’t make any sense, concocted in 1990’s Louisville, KY, by a group of really weird teenagers in their mom’s basement, shares parallels with Classical music,) that is to say, emotions for which words don’t exist, and/or combinations of emotions that don’t really make sense together.

The album cover says it all...it’s so desolate and isolated, yet you see a group of obvious friends looking playful. It’s nightmarish; that cover might as well be four aliens going for a dip on Mars.

View attachment 409950

Significant and enigmatic album that basically hit rock music like an asteroid (somewhat reminding me of Post-Impressionism).

Like what the hell are you supposed to feel after listening to ‘Breadcrumb Trail’? First of all the first 10 seconds of that “song” can stand up against the first 10 seconds of literally any song ever made. The guitar intro is so...I don’t know, it just sounds like the snap of a hypnotist’s fingers. Then it spends a minute quietly building up only to plunge the track into this ~4-minute violent nightmare, and, the most genius moment of the whole album, with [again] a minute remaining, the fingers snap back into that intro (which by that point had already been blown out of your memory). It’s actually genius; you cannot plan to create something like that.

And that subtle drum roll in the intro that dribbles over the bar into the second measure...I mean Mogwai practically made their entire career out of that split-second drum roll.

Again I have to ask: what the hell actually goes on in f***ing Kentucky?

tl;dr: album called Spiderland sounds like exactly that.

@aufheben a very eerie album for sure. The guys in this band had a lot of ongoing psychological and personal issues after the album was made and it took years to recover.

There was this weird thing in the early 90s where bands would either record or write music in an isolated house and it caused a lot of repercussions.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers: John Frusciante's declining mental health during and after the recording of this album recorded in a famous Hollywood Hills mansion is very well documented (Funky Monks is on YouTube). Some of it was substance, some of it was pending fame, some of it had to do with the fact that he was in the Kaako/Laf age range and had already built cred as this monster guitar player. It all led to his lost years from 92-97. It took the rest of the band a few years to mature and learn to deal with fame as well.

Loveless by My Bloody Valentibe: Similar to Slint, this album got a lot of cred and the members has serious issues after.

Recording in a non studio was nothing new: Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Duran Duran had all done it, but that early-90s period caused some weird stuff to happen to bands.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The current greatest band in the world is back. For those who don't know them definitely worth checking out. Groovy and super funky. Great songwriters who have worked with Q-Tip and now Authur Verocai and have been sampled by Kedrick Lamar, Jay-Z/Beyonce, and many others.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
20 Jazz Funk Greats

upload_2021-3-26_18-43-20.jpeg

Studio Album by Throbbing Gristle

Release date: December 1979
Genre: Industrial, synth-pop
Length: 42:43
Label: Industrial

We had this idea in mind that someone quite innocently would come along to a record store and see [the record] and think they would be getting 20 really good jazz/funk greats, and then they would put it on at home and they would just get decimated.[9]

This album is like a root canal of the ego that leaves behind a trembling animal and nothing more. Kraftwerkian electro-beats, synth-bops, spoken word, unfathomable noises, float aimlessly through primordial soup.

In other words, two thumbs up!

(No seriously it’s actually very good, like Kraftwerk/Aphex Twin...just on a really, really bad trip.)

Last edited:

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
RIP DMX.

Thank you for providing the soundtrack to some of the best parties from my college years.

I still get amped when I hear his music to this day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad