OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I really hope after all of this world stuff that's currently going on that I get some sort of chance to go see Kraftwerk, at this moment in time there might not be a price that I wouldn't pay

Wow, do they still tour? Those guys must be in their 70s.

I'm not familiar with the personalities in the band other than the Pocket Calculator video which would be shown once in a blue moon on MTV (I remember Beck hosted 120 Minutes I think it was during Mellow Gold era and asked them to show it and talked about how much he loved them as a kid).

I heard stories they used to have a really secretive studio with like a phone (think 1960s Adam West Batphone) and they would rarely converse with any outsiders to keep the mystique. If someone wanted to work with them they would use that phone only for outgoing calls and say "Yes" or "No" and a handler or one of their camp would do all the talking. If the artist was selected to work with them they would have to keep all this confidentiality.

Pretty crazy if true.

Reactions: Rongomania

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Wow, do they still tour? Those guys must be in their 70s.

I'm not familiar with the personalities in the band other than the Pocket Calculator video which would be shown once in a blue moon on MTV (I remember Beck hosted 120 Minutes I think it was during Mellow Gold era and asked them to show it and talked about how much he loved them as a kid).

I heard stories they used to have a really secretive studio with like a phone (think 1960s Adam West Batphone) and they would rarely converse with any outsiders to keep the mystique. If someone wanted to work with them they would use that phone only for outgoing calls and say "Yes" or "No" and a handler or one of their camp would do all the talking. If the artist was selected to work with them they would have to keep all this confidentiality.

Pretty crazy if true.
I know they came around kind of recently (like 2017-2018ish), and that there's only 1 original member left in the band.

I also heard a similar story but it was that the one original guy that's still in the band hated the sound of a telephone ringing, so he disconnected the bell on his one house phone and if you had his number and wanted to talk to him you had to call at 4pm on the dot because he'd go and just answer the phone at 4 since it didn't ring.

Also apparently they love being reclusive and haven't done a photoshoot since 1978 and send robots to do on camera interviews every now and then

Reactions: Roo Returns

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Any CoB fans out there?

First, earlier this year I was shocked to find out that they had split up, now the news of Alexi Laiho's death at age 41.

One of the best and most unique metal bands of the early 2000s and big impact on me as a teenager, and I still love listening to them especially in the gym. Alexi was a true guitar legend for the modern day as well. RIP.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Any CoB fans out there?

First, earlier this year I was shocked to find out that they had split up, now the news of Alexi Laiho's death at age 41.

One of the best and most unique metal bands of the early 2000s and big impact on me as a teenager, and I still love listening to them especially in the gym. Alexi was a true guitar legend for the modern day as well. RIP.

I haven't listened to CoB, but still sad to hear about his death.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
You know that you've become friggin old when you find out Norah Jones is 41 and you're still blissfully listening to the entire Come Away with Me album once a week at least.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Any CoB fans out there?

o7, one of the greatest guitarrists to walk this earth, he was a pioneer with his trademark classical style sound, 41 years old is way too soon.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Any CoB fans out there?

This is not like CoB but still one of the best Finnish bands out there, this is the kind of music that speaks to me the most. The guitar work in their songs is just out of this world and very athmospheric.

https://youtu.be/rJ89F9xoG08

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'd add Throbbing Gristle to that category as well even though they were from the UK.
LMAO one of my favorite stories behind an album. :laugh:

“...and like the album’s contents, the packaging was all spoof. ‘We did the cover so it was a pastiche of something you would find in Woolworth’s bargain bin,’ said Tutti. ‘We had this idea in mind that someone quite innocently would come along to a record store and see [the record] and think they would be getting 20 really good jazz/funk greats, and then they would put it on at home and they would just get decimated.

That is, if they weren’t thrown off by the record’s reverse cover, featuring Tutti herself mooning the camera and informing the viewer exactly whom the joke is on.”

upload_2021-1-8_22-12-4.jpeg

I read that the cliffs in the background of this album cover were an infamous suicide spot in England.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You know that you've become friggin old when you find out Norah Jones is 41 and you're still blissfully listening to the entire Come Away with Me album once a week at least.

Did you hear the album she did with Billy Joe from Green Day a few years back? That went under the radar.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This is not like CoB but still one of the best Finnish bands out there, this is the kind of music that speaks to me the most. The guitar work in their songs is just out of this world and very athmospheric.

I absolutely love Insomnium. Since Since the Day It All Came Down.

Reactions: MiroPRKL

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Truly the best MDM band in the world out there. Amon Amarth is up there aswell, Wintersun is amazing too.
Amon Amarth is also one of my favorites. Especially the older stuff like Fate of Norns. For Insomnium, I probably enjoy One for Sorrow the most. Need to check out Wintersun.

Reactions: MiroPRKL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad