OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Amon Amarth is also one of my favorites. Especially the older stuff like Fate of Norns. For Insomnium, I probably enjoy One for Sorrow the most. Need to check out Wintersun.
The lead guitarrist Jari Maenpaa is the ex singer and songwriter from Ensiferum, a true genius. First one here is a live rehersal that will blow your socks off.

Reactions: Kreator

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
These 1980's gems.

Visage nice! I'm a big fan of John McGeoch's guitar playing with Magazine and Siouxsie And The Banshees.

I actually picked up their debut album when I was in LA literally a year ago at Ameoba.

Midge Ure was also in this band. Big name in 80s music for all of you a little bit younger.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I like these bands: · Róisín Murphy · The Waterboys · Enya · Kodaline · Hozier · The Cranberries · Sinéad O'Connor, Snow Patrol, Glen Hansard, The Corrs, Ash, The Script, Damien Rice, The Undertones, Two Door Cinema Club, Thin Lizzy, Lisa Hannigan, The Pogues, U2

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The lead guitarrist Jari Maenpaa is the ex singer and songwriter from Ensiferum, a true genius. First one here is a live rehersal that will blow your socks off.

Not bad. I may need a few more listens to get into them. There's a mix MDM, prog, and power metal influences. One thing that no one else seems to grab like insomnium is that sense of atmospheric dread and melancholy that I love. But the lead guitarist is really good.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Not bad. I may need a few more listens to get into them. There's a mix MDM, prog, and power metal influences. One thing that no one else seems to grab like insomnium is that sense of atmospheric dread and melancholy that I love. But the lead guitarist is really good.
I know exactly what you mean, their albums make you feel like your taking a journey through some otherwordly places both visually and emotionally, their intros to their albums are always so soothing and then all the sudden you get slapped in your face with their geniousness, like these ones for example, the guitarwork gives me chills.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I know exactly what you mean, their albums make you feel like your taking a journey through some otherwordly places both visually and emotionally, their intros to their albums are always so soothing and then all the sudden you get slapped in your face with their geniousness, like these ones for example, the guitarwork gives me chills.

The beginnings of Across the Dark and One for Sorrow are fantastic. On Above the Weeping World, my favorite is Last Statement, especially the second half. Don't forget me... burn a candle for me... when you can...

Reactions: MiroPRKL

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
The beginnings of Across the Dark and One for Sorrow are fantastic. On Above the Weeping World, my favorite is Last Statement, especially the second half. Don't forget me... burn a candle for me... when you can...
this song that they did togeather with the singer from Dark Tranquility (which i also love) is brilliant, the chorus is so nice.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I recently stumbled upon a Music video of a Black Sabbath song called Headless Cross. I can’t believe I never heard this song before, such great riffs and vocals.

I don’t think the Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath gets enough love. The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Tyr and Cross Purposes are all good to excellent. Even Forbidden has some good tracks.

Reactions: MiroPRKL

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018

I remember this Simpson episode a couple of years ago that had Spacemen 3 in it. Krautrock influenced track as well, so I need to post it.

Here's the song:

Here's the Simpsons clip:

@Don Chytil Thanks for that cover, it's amazing. I love Julien Baker - and she just seems to be such a great human being as well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For the rock enthusiasts here I just listened to "Frampton Comes Alive" today. I forgot what a great live album this is especially "Do you feel like we do". I blew a few speakers listening to that track back in the day.

So did I. Epic song from one of the top selling live albums of all time.

Over the years, I've been looking for someone, anyone, even Frampton himself, to play the song like when he performed in his double live album. All the clips of Frampton playing it at different venues and posted on YouTube don't reprise the original live version exactly.

There have also been a ton of covers by amateurs and none of them replicate the key parts of the song, exactly like Frampton plays it. No one has ever played Bob Mayo's piano solo like he did it.

No one, until now.

These guys have managed to reproduce the song in studio, note for note. They're playing all the non-repetitive parts so you get to hear all the sweet spots without having to listen to 15 minutes like the original. And they've even piped in some crowd noise to make it sound even more authentic.

Drums were programmed digitally. Guitar player plays all the bass tracks.

Thanks in advance for listening.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I remember this Simpson episode a couple of years ago that had Spacemen 3 in it. Krautrock influenced track as well, so I need to post it.

Here's the song:

Here's the Simpsons clip:

@Don Chytil Thanks for that cover, it's amazing. I love Julien Baker - and she just seems to be such a great human being as well.
Yeah that was hilarious and Spacemen 3 were a GREAT band.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I like the 50s so I'm listing my Top Ten 50s songs in no order.

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode, Maybellene, Rollover Beethoven
The Drifters - Money Honey
Howlin Wolf - Smokestack Lightnin
Little Richard - Long Tall Sally, Tutti-Frutti
Ray Charles - What'd I Say
Sam Cooke - You Send Me

Last edited:

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
So did I. Epic song from one of the top selling live albums of all time.

Over the years, I've been looking for someone, anyone, even Frampton himself, to play the song like when he performed in his double live album. All the clips of Frampton playing it at different venues and posted on YouTube don't reprise the original live version exactly.

There have also been a ton of covers by amateurs and none of them replicate the key parts of the song, exactly like Frampton plays it. No one has ever played Bob Mayo's piano solo like he did it.

No one, until now.

These guys have managed to reproduce the song in studio, note for note. They're playing all the non-repetitive parts so you get to hear all the sweet spots without having to listen to 15 minutes like the original. And they've even piped in some crowd noise to make it sound even more authentic.

Drums were programmed digitally. Guitar player plays all the bass tracks.

Thanks in advance for listening.

Totally epic song and album. That song was recorded at SUNY Plattsburgh. Crowd was so into it. These guys did a good job and can play. They now need to find a vocalist. Long Live rock!!

Reactions: Runner77

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Sabaton
Alestorm
Gloryhammer
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
GraveDigger
Dragon Force
PowerWolf
Hatebreed

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Guided By Voices are/were such a mystery to me...

Their records sound like shit
Their songs are too short.
Their subject matter is ridiculous.

Ohio-exclusive bar band composed of guys in their mid-30s mostly known—if at all—for excessive beer consumption, messy playing, and an elementary school teacher jumping around on-stage for a frontman. On paper, they were literally the most uncool rock band possible.

And yet...

:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad