GDT: ★ @ ♫

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Backes had the option of keeping himself in the play until the end of the game; instead, he chose to stop playing and go after a Star's player. Staying with the play doesn't guarantee a goal, but the chances of him having a positive impact on the game while throwing a hissy-fit at center ice is infinitely less than if he were to continue playing until the clock reaches 0. What possible benefit comes from this type of behaviour?
Absolutely zero, but I'd rather see some emotion then him looking at the ice if he skated off. Of all the problems with this game, Backes being a tool at the end isn't one I'd be concerned with.

I'm not saying I agree or even approve of it, there's just bigger fish to fry

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
People act like Elliott is some elite goaltender. When the D is clamping down, sure. When the D is sucking and the offensemen aren't backchecking, he and Allen get exposed. This is the same for most teams. The structure isn't there.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
what's he do at C that's so great?

Oh idk....scores goals, forchecks and backchecks hard. Stands in front of the net providing shade for the goalie.

They ran him on Stastny's wing and It didn't look good at all.

Backes to the wall

Oct 20, 2014
West Coast Canada
why do you say that? because I laugh at the idea of trading a 1st/2nd line RW for a 3rd pairing defenseman?

Oh come on. Oshie is not a first line guy on any team in the league.
I love the SOB line, but it wouldn't get mentioned in anyones top 10 1st lines in the league.

Despres has been climbing the ladder on the pens defense regardless of injuries, and is nearly considered unmovable by their fanbase.
It would take a small + from them in a trade, but hardly laughable.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So you all are saying blues are too soft but every time Backes shows some toughness you people say there's no need for all this rough stuff. Hahahahahah
Backes shows toughness by going after guys like Matt Duchene and Cody Eakin?

Sorry, not buyin it. Once again Backes let his temper get the best of him as he cared more about acting like an idiot than the actual game. But then when Jamie Benn comes over he doesn't look interested in fighting anymore. :laugh:

He's not a very good captain. It's fine if people disagree with me but I think Backes has proved me right more often than not.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I remember Cole punishing people for being in front of the net. Almost a penalty every single time. This false need for a goony dman isn't the solution. The defense we have playing like they know how to play hockey would do wonders. No goals were scored because of deflections. Horrible turn overs and Allen nor being on his game did us in tonight

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Oh come on. Oshie is not a first line guy on any team in the league.
I love the SOB line, but it wouldn't get mentioned in anyones top 10 1st lines in the league.

Despres has been climbing the ladder on the pens defense regardless of injuries, and is nearly considered unmovable by their fanbase.
It would take a small + from them in a trade, but hardly laughable.

What? Ok, name 30 RWs better than Osh. I even included 1st/2nd line in my OP. Trading Oshie for Despres is just flat out terrible, I'm sorry that you don't see that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Backes shows toughness by going after guys like Matt Duchene and Cody Eakin?

Sorry, not buyin it. Once again Backes let his temper get the best of him as he cared more about acting like an idiot than the actual game. But then when Jamie Benn comes over he doesn't look interested in fighting anymore. :laugh:

He's not a very good captain. It's fine if people disagree with me but I think Backes has proved me right more often than not.
While it seems like I've been defending Backes, I agree he's been a poor captain. 2 games....just 2 games did he show true leadership and drive the team. But I don't see him being demoted so, it is what it is

Backes to the wall

Oct 20, 2014
West Coast Canada
Using these last few games as an argument for trading for toughness is borderline insane. How is toughness going to prevent Pejorative Slured turnovers, constant penalties, and defensive lapses, or help your goaltender save a puck?

All of this looks a lot better if Elliott is there to bail out the defense here or there. If anything, we should trade for a miracle drug to get him healthy.

Who is using the last few games as a guideline?

In fact BEFORE December even started I posted in another thread that this month would be a tough test for the team. I said I would be VERY happy with 16 points out of 26. Others thought the team would do better. [I think Alklha predicted at least 18 ]
To me the team has lacked grit from the beginning of the season, nothing has changed.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
The thing folks are missing regarding the Backes situation is that it's indicative of his not leading this team to victory and playing a full 60 minutes, including the last 15 seconds.

That's what this team looks like most of the time: rudderless. There's blame on the coaching staff for sure, but Backes losing his cool in the last 15 seconds is only what we see on the ice in terms of failing the C.

I don't really have a solution for it. Backes just needs to find whatever he had a few years ago and put the team first. Long term speaking: Tarasenko's obviously a natural leader, but I don't think we're anywhere close to time for that.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Agreed we are super soft. So why does everyone freak at the idea of moving Petro when we could get a beastly power forward + a stay at home dman in return?

The pens would most likely do an Oshie for Despres deal, and we all know we could get one of Wheeler-Kreider-Hall-Simmonds + for Petro.

This talk about creating a hole is nonsense. The holes already exist.

Because we've seen how lost this team is without Petro or when he doesn't play well. It's not pretty.

RR10*

What Backes did in the end of the game pretty much exploits the loser mentality on this team. I'm in the belief that losing is actually positive for this team right now because that means they will have to make changes. Winning games while playing like crap would give Armstrong a reason to pretend that everything is fine.

There is no one on this team except for Tarasenko and Schwartz that are untouchable. I mean no one! If you keep pretending that Pietrangelo, Backes and Oshie are untradeable then this team is going nowhere. They are actually part of the problem why this team fails to take the next step.

Pietrangelo, Oshie, Rattie for Giroux.

Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Steen - Giroux - Fabbri
Jaskin - Stastny - Backes
Porter - Lapierre - Reaves

Trade Bouwmeester, Berglund, MPS/Lindstrom for ex. Keith Yandle. Use the rest of the cap space to get some tough and mobile defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad