Speculation: “We may very well be in a rebuild in the direction we’re going." - Rutherford

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's just time to face the facts Aquilini, they've needed to rebuild for a decade. Just do it.

Futures trades for all of Horvat, Miller, Boeser, and Kuzmenko. Just try to get Pearson, Myers, Mikheyev off the books.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
i still think there's too much talent on this team not to turn it around. but they have to invest in some defenders who can actually defend. you're making it too stressful for Demko to do on his own and to may players are trying to play over their heads which will lead to injuries.

OEL and Myers arent as bad as they've shown and Schenn is still serviceable, but none of them is a first pairing defender and neither is Hughes defensively since nobody who needs to be sheltered on defense is a TRUE first pairing defenseman.

trading Tanev and watching Tryamkin Walk we huge mistakes and must be rectified.

Allvin must accept reality and make the changes necessary. if that means moving EP40 then do it or accept losing and tank
If they still haven't won a game by game 10, they'd have to become what is normally a 48 win team the entire rest of the season to even sniff the playoffs. Last season only the Oilers and Flames in their division did that.

I really don't see anything in this team that shows they're good enough to accomplish that. The next 3-4 games are pretty crucial. A coaching change is likely necessary to create that kind of turnaround.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
We can keep Kuz. He picked our team, if he wants to resign there is no reason not to, he's 26. I've been impressed enough in his short debut to really want to keep him, valuing him just behind the usual untouchable list of Hughes, Pettersson and Demko.

We're over due already, based on fan, insider and his own comments.
Kuz has been an absolute dumpster fire defensively while providing nothing offensively. Not sure why he's in your "untouchables" list. Preseason stats don't count. I'd think if the Canucks could add a pick in the first 3 rounds he'd be worth exploring trading.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
maybe, but if he's leaving anyway,those 2 1sts and a solid 2nd pair defenseman are a nice return I dont see anyone offering more.

all i see are is many canuck fans in denial. and the closer he gets to free agency the less he'll be worth

lol he still has 4 more years after this one and he just turned 23.

I'd say he's not yet a depreciating asset.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think the players Canucks trade will be:

Kuzmenko - at 950k if he can produce at .5+ he will net a late 1st+ from a contender due to cap hit.

Horvat if not resigned, if he does Miller - it'll be the shake-up and will net a 1st + solid D Prospect, maybe a 3c coming back

Schenn - 4th?

Boeser - A team like Buffalo that is off to a good start, has assets and could use a RW that scores. His footspeed is not the greatest, but he is always a threat offensively and around average (maybe slightly below) defensively. His footspeed is really why many fans don't see him being responsible.

Garland - If Boeser is kept, Garland will be the one that goes. Wrong move if he is, but Bruce doesn't seem to like him for some reason. Always gives 110% and one of the top 5v5 players in the league. Has speed, deceptive shot/skills, and defensively responsible. Only real issue is that he is a midget.

Next TDL players like Pearson and Myers will be traded and get decent returns as well.
Imagine thinking any team wants Miller or Boeser on those contracts. Vancouver is stuck with them. Garland/Horvat/Myers/Kuz are definitely guys who could be traded and return value though.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
The wings need a FW winning 2C badly, Copp isnt that guy. What would VAN want in a trade for Horvat from Detroit?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
We can keep Kuz. He picked our team, if he wants to resign there is no reason not to, he's 26. I've been impressed enough in his short debut to really want to keep him, valuing him just behind the usual untouchable list of Hughes, Pettersson and Demko.

We're over due already, based on fan, insider and his own comments.

Kuz has been an absolute dumpster fire defensively while providing nothing offensively. Not sure why he's in your "untouchables" list. Preseason stats don't count. I'd think if the Canucks could add a pick in the first 3 rounds he'd be worth exploring trading.

Yeah I like Kuzmenko but right or wrong, he's always going to be on a short leash with NHL coaches because of how soft he is defensively and on the boards.

Talent is definitely there to produce with the right team/linemates.

Would like to keep him but also wouldn't put him near an "untouchables" list.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah I like Kuzmenko but right or wrong, he's always going to be on a short leash with NHL coaches because of how soft he is defensively and on the boards.

Kuz is ufa so can’t be banking on him.

It’s just simply frustrating that since the off season of 2015 the management group has failed miserably in assessing the quality of the roster and thus the expected in ice success.

Lose to Calgary in round 1 in 2015, blowing a 3-0 lead in the game.

Make a few changes but end up like the 3rd worst team and to cap it off a bungled TDL where they get nothing for ufa to be Hamhuis.

Double down on that by signing Eriksson and trading for Gudbranson in 2016. Go into to finish second worst that season.

After a second straight terrible year finally admit to a bit of a rebuild. Bad season in 17-18 and finish near the bottom again.

But then spend stupid money and term on bottom 6 guys in Beagle, Roussell and Schaller in 2018. Still miss the PO but getting better.

Go and sign the oft injured Ferland and trade for Miller. In 2019 off season. Make the PO due to the play in as they were floundering near the end and deal futures to get TT.

Terrible off season in 2020 as good vets leave in place of Schmidt, Holtby, and re-signing Virtanen. Go into have a terrible season in the Covid year. Part of the reason given was lack of money which the owner admits to later in 2022.

2021 draft, deal futures and dumpy the dead cap for OEL. But have another terrible start and are done by November.

2022 make some moves up front but nothing on the back end. Extend Miller. Now 0-5-2 to start the season.

It’s like it is never ending. JR and PA’s job this past off season was to determine what they had. And move in that direction.

Just completely frustrating.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Imagine thinking any team wants Miller or Boeser on those contracts. Vancouver is stuck with them. Garland/Horvat/Myers/Kuz are definitely guys who could be traded and return value though.
I think Boeser's past has more value around the league than fans think. If Miller is having another good season (starting to at least get the scoring back on track) I don't think the 7 years at 8m after this season will scare off any middling team. He has had a great last 3 seasons points wise and isn't starting off the year poorly in that respect either.

I do think Horvat(would you want to re-sign into this mess?), Garland and Kuz are the ones gone from the forwards all at different times of the year. I think we end up with 2 1sts a 2nd and some solid prospects in return from those 3 players. I could also see Myers moved, and I could see him in Buffalo TBH. again, i'd see a 1st coming back (likely conditional that it isn't top 10)

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
And you will be the first person I'll want to talk to when he walks away as a free agent, because all we hear in New York and New Jersey is how the brothers "cant wait" for him to join them. to them its just a matter of time.

i honestly dont see how any Canuck fan can be so confident he's staying. to me its all wishful thinking especially since he spends so much time in New Jersey, you can say he visits his brothers, but I say where theres smoke there's fire
I never said I'm confident that he'll stay in 4+ years when he's a UFA.

I was just refuting this comment that you made:

"and the closer he gets to free agency the less he'll be worth"

Because it's too far away for us to worry about that right now lol.

Even if we trade him in 2 years we would still get incredible value, because he's that good and just entering his prime.

Only on HFBoards would someone say "well he's UFA in 5 years so you better trade him now"...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I never said he's "untouchable", but he should be the last player before getting to the untouchables.

I hate to agree with you, but he's not been even good defensively, but neither has anyone on this team, including my untouchables. Saying he's provided no offense is flat out incorrect as well. Goals, assists, yeah, he's been underwhelming (along with most of our roster) but he's applied pressure, he's gotten shots and created plays off of broken or otherwise non-existent plays, and that's worth something.

Arguing we should pursue trading him for a third round pick is just insane.

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I'd have him above the likes of Miller, Hoglander, Schenn, Pearson, even Horvat (until he's signed or we improve). Maybe Pod, due to his age, might be a little higher up the list in some peoples eyes, but if the alternative is a third round pick? I'll take Kuz every time.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The salt is still flowing that Kuzmenko chose an unknown role in Vancouver over Edmonton :laugh: :clap:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They need to pick a direction and execute it with the on ice product matching the direction.

But no team has spent as much against the salary cap and in real dollars and achieved as litttle as the Canucks since the end of the 14-15 season.

Not to mention the draft picks given up over that time.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
For the past 3 seasons when I look at the Canucks roster I think that they're a lock for the playoffs and every year they disappoint. I don't watch much of their games but when I do they just seem like a very soft team that doesn't put in a lot of effort.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For the past 3 seasons when I look at the Canucks roster I think that they're a lock for the playoffs and every year they disappoint. I don't watch much of their games but when I do they just seem like a very soft team that doesn't put in a lot of effort.
They have some very good pieces like Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and even Miller. Some good pieces in Horvat. But it’s still not a good enough roster to survive the eventual injuries that do occur. Borderline PO team. Never a lock.

But like, this new regime, figure out what you are. They are a max cap team. So there is an expectation that comes with being that. And it’s real money, not AZ taking cap dumps.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
The biggest problem is effort. Look at the opener vs you guys, we took an early 3-0 league and looked like a team that would dominate. Then we took our foot off the gas and got crushed. Our biggest problem is our special teams coach, he always reverts to the same set up and only 3 players touching the puck until we lose it. Only once that is killing us, does he change it up. Once things are going good again, he will go back to the same stuff we did in 2011.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I gotta say, it's real funny seeing Oilers fans shitting on the Canucks acting like they weren't the biggest dumpster fire for nearly a full decade before McDavid saved that franchise. Be humble.

It's abundantly clear that this team doesn't got it. The defensive corps is so ridiculously weak, and the forwards have not been good. People are expecting this to turn around, but with Quinn Hughes being injured at the moment and looked at as week-to-week, we're really f***ed. He's really a one-man transition machine, and without him we really have no defensemen that can move the puck efficiently. Couldn't have picked a better year for the team to have this type of a collapse with that being said. We should be looking to move Horvat, Boeser and Myers (With salary retained) to kickstart our fire sale. I'd also hit up the New York teams to see if they would still be interested in Miller in a Kessel-to-Pittsburgh type of trade where we retain about 1 million, but get a 1st + a recent 1st round prospect + a 2nd/3rd round level prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad