Speculation: “We may very well be in a rebuild in the direction we’re going." - Rutherford

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Sounds like the older players will be shopped for younger players. That probably starts with the Pearson and Myers on the team and could end up with Boeser, Miller and Horvat being traded as well

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If they couldn’t get what they wanted for Miller in the off-season , what makes them think they can now ? They should have cut their losses before extending him , but , I guess , who knows what (if anything ) was offered for him .
Only players that would facilitate a quick rebuild would be moving guys that you don’t really want to . Petey Demko Hughes Horvat - all would bring back a ton but … that leaves them with a pile of crap . But those guys may be too old anyways by the time they are tryout ready to compete.
I have no clue how they can improve or what they can do . It’s a big mess …

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
LOL there not going to rebuild. He isn’t here to rebuild. Bruce will be fired and they will get their own coach. He did mention the 1 1/2 year time line. He better get moving.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm honestly quite surprised by the start in Vancouver. Thought they were quite deep on offense and good goaltending. Defense was suspect at best but especially in that Pacific division I figured they'd be in the thick of the battle for a playoff spot.

...It's still very early and I wouldn't write them off entirely yet. But things dont look good right now for sure. And to be completely honest this is the kind of year where a bad start maybe isn't the worst thing in the world to decide to tank from. Bedard is simply as special as special gets, Mitchkov and Fantilli are damn good as well. It would be a phenomenal year to have a Top 3 pick.

The harder question is who/what parts of the core do you keep and what part do you tear down and start anew. They just signed Miller, but his NMC doesn't kick in until that contract kicks in next July so they could trade him. That might not look good for future players however but perhaps if its a more mutual agreement it could happen... Otherwise, Horvat makes a lot of sense to move on from. I'd guess one of Garland or Boeser, personally I'd trade Boeser but it sounds like Garland might not be so well liked by this new management as the previous regime.

I think maybe the biggest question of all is Elias Pettersson and what they end up doing with him. Think that could really go either way.

Tough spot to be in though. This 0-5-1 record isn't great but I do still think Vancouver can take some positives out of the fact they were winning 4(?) of those games before blowing the leads and ultimately losing. There's stuff they clearly need to work on but even still those kind of runs tend to even themselves out eventually. I still think a 5-6 game winning streak is coming for Vancouver, question is if it will end up being to little too late when the turnaround happens.

Reactions: Voight and McJedi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad