“There wasn’t much but I wanted a penalty against Nashville” UPD Tim Peel early retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Because the NHL has a very long tradition of being deeply corrupt from the very beginning. Alot of murky people calling the shots from day one - and the culture that was bred. It started with guys like Maurice "The Rocket" Richard being abused with no reaction from the higher ups because he was a "Frenchie". Then it was guys like Salming, because he was "a chicken Swede". And then this appalling culture among the suits has just festered. They're a bit more refined and not as openly moronic in their statements as in the past and they know they cannot let huge things just go dark. Like this.

In the past, this would've been completely ignored by the NHL, since this is their plan from the very beginning. The new exposure with public media forces them to actually try to look accountable from time to time is bothering them for sure. They had to bury Peel, considered an awful ref but a great circus manager in the eyes of the upper brass. I just think Peel relaxed a bit too much awaiting his retirement. He enjoyed his job as a game manager a bit too much and let it slip.

That the official message from the entertainment industry of the NHL is to just bury Peel until his retirement is classic NHL. Blame the fall guy, bury the evidence, while continuing to systematically do this crap and pretend us fans don't know this. There are very good reasons why I LOVE hockey and HATE the NHL and the tragedy that the biggest league in hockey had to fall in the grip of these shams.

And they aren’t even burying Peel. Dude’s retiring one month early with all his benefits and getting a nice pay on the back behind the scene.

And I’m not saying Peel should be stripped of his benefits directly before retirement, because then we’re talking about a person’s well-being. But this does speak to how fake this whole response is from Campbell and the NHL. Fire Campbell. He needs to go.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He's actually explaining how selective bias works. Refs are human, and I can see this happening. You want to be fair, you've called 4 in a row against one side, you don't want to be unfair and miss a call when the other side commits it. The rationale is pro justice, but it make a ref hyperfocused on the one side, even though they may be playing cleaner.

Yeah, pretty much. How many times have we heard an announcers say that it's the 5th pp in a row for team A, expect the eventual call against them soon. IT should never be like that, ever!

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I can't believe some of the comments on here, "Important to establish the rules before a game gets chippy" What the hell? What kind of arguments are some of you making on here? It's not the referees job to dictate how a game goes. Call a penalty a penalty. There's nothing more to it, it's not their job to establish control of the game. Absolutely pathetic. Tim Peel getting canned is great, maybe they should hotmic Steve Kozari too.

No more excuses for refs. They get away with way too much. No game control, no tone setting, no nothing. Call the game as it unfolds. Call penalties and stop power tripping. NHL Refs have such a massive ego, it's so apparent. Hopefully this embarrassing firing will keep these people a lot more honest for a change

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If game management was supposed to keep games from getting chippy why have they stopped using 10 minute misconducts?

Dec 15, 2002
If I'm Bally's, MGM, or whatever, and the NHL is asking me for money - I have a pretty huge problem with this. I think hockey fans are numb to this because it's just the way it's been for at least a couple of decades. I know there's the whole "you can call holding/pass interference every down" in Football argument, but they don't "make up" holding calls. You see plenty of games (Super Bowl is a good example" with wide disparities in both numbers of penalties and yards, and - for the most part at least - the reaction isn't "let them play", it's "Team A is playing undisciplined."
If you're Bally's, MGM or whatever and you've lost money on NHL betting and you can identify that it's because of selective officiating and that bettors know about it and have taken advantage of it, you've got a point.

If you're still making money in spite of all of these complaints and people keep betting on games going forward, you don't give a shit. You just keep smiling and taking other people's money.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Pretty much what everyone said on the first page I agree with. Just confirms what we already suspected and it's terrible. The NHL really needs to address this publicly and not shy away from it, because when the playoffs come, and if there is a series decided by some BS penalty, there's going to be a lot of noise and pissed off people.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
People flop now anyway. I had to watch Joe Pavelski pull his best Greg Louganis all night.

That's going to happen no matter what. I care more about the people who are ensuring a contest is conducted under the rules are actually enforcing the rules than how the players will adjust.

If a ref doesn't call a trip and his justification is "I thought it was a dive"? That's 100% defensible. If a ref doesn't call a trip and his justification is "Eh, they got the last two PPs and are up 3-1," that's a problem.
And what if a ref looks at the replay and says geeze those 2 penalties he really fooled me on that dive and i punished the other team now they are up 3-1. Thats it! They arent getting anymore pps tonight. Is he technically doing the right thing by course correcting after being fooled?

Dewey Eye

Apr 28, 2014
As soon as you start seeing 8 to 1 PP games, orgs are going to realize they need to rethink how their teams should be playing the game. Teams will adjust, because they’ll have to.

Surely, but there will be a time in between for the adjustments to happen. like season(s)

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I can't believe some of the comments on here, "Important to establish the rules before a game gets chippy" What the hell? What kind of arguments are some of you making on here? It's not the referees job to dictate how a game goes. Call a penalty a penalty. There's nothing more to it, it's not their job to establish control of the game. Absolutely pathetic. Tim Peel getting canned is great, maybe they should hotmic Steve Kozari too.

No more excuses for refs. They get away with way too much. No game control, no tone setting, no nothing. Call the game as it unfolds. Call penalties and stop power tripping. NHL Refs have such a massive ego, it's so apparent. Hopefully this embarrassing firing will keep these people a lot more honest for a change

And to add, if they want to stop the game getting chippy, start calling roughing on some of the scrum shenanigans. The reason the league doesn't want that is because chippiness sells tickets and advertising.

Reactions: The Macho King

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
And what if a ref looks at the replay and says geeze those 2 penalties he really fooled me on that dive and i punished the other team now they are up 3-1. Thats it! They arent getting anymore pps tonight. Is he technically doing the right thing by course correcting after being fooled?
No, he’d be doing the right thing by admitting to himself that he got fooled the first two times, understanding how to identify the thing that fooled him, then judging whether the next play was legal with a new perspective.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The answer is obviously not. I would understand human nature being more skeptical if that person ends up on the ice again, but if you saw the stick between his legs, or you see the stick hit his face, it's a penalty.

My position doesn't require a lot of nuance, so this attempt at a gotcha seems pretty weak.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
And to add, if they want to stop the game getting chippy, start calling roughing on some of the scrum shenanigans. The reason the league doesn't want that is because chippiness sells tickets and advertising.
Imagine if cross checking were actually a penalty.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

It is their job to establish rules before a game gets out of hand violently. Are you opposed to sending a goon to the locker room for the rest of the night when hes running around being a goof? Thats the only kind of game management that should be justified. The refs as sort of bouncers prevening a giant bar brawl thats brewing.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
And they aren’t even burying Peel. Dude’s retiring one month early with all his benefits and getting a nice pay on the back behind the scene.

And I’m not saying Peel should be stripped of his benefits directly before retirement, because then we’re talking about a person’s well-being. But this does speak to how fake this whole response is from Campbell and the NHL. Fire Campbell. He needs to go.
That's not enough. This sham has to be revolutionized. How about an actual sports league for a change? If I wanted to be solely entertained, I could watch Rick & Morty or some comedy movie instead. I want to be entertained by watching the best players compete on equal terms. Not the whole scope of this NHL entertainment bullshit, with so much criticism it should just be uprooted and changed. But of course the owners - the true owners of the NHL - don't care. They just want their money and to play THEIR little game. Not the game of hockey. They don't care one bit about hockey and the integrity of the sport in itself. Nor the money cattle that is us.

My dream would be all fans would boycott the NHL in the arenas even after the Corona pandemic is solved. No one goes to the games until the shams owning this masquerade of a sports league actually try to give the fans what they really want: a legitimate sports league that cares about the sport of hockey and the integrity of the game.

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
It is their job to establish rules before a game gets out of hand violently. Are you opposed to sending a goon to the locker room for the rest of the night when hes running around being a goof? Thats the only kind of game management that should be justified. The refs as sort of bouncers prevening a giant bar brawl thats brewing.

If he's being a goon outside of the rules then yes.

The point is, anytime anyone breaks a rule it should be punished. Not selected at random.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Yes because the current Day NHL has a massive goon problem. Calling roughing penalties and throw the book at them. There's absolutely no reason to give the refs an inch with such power without the likelihood of them abusing it. The Refs have been a ridiculously protected breed in the NHL for whatever reason. If the NHL cares, or this is a public display to shut the story, then they would naturally see who he was saying this to because I guarantee you, Tim isn't the only one who abused his power. Steve Kozari is a massive tool as well, and they should put bodycams on the refs and analyze it regularly for any misconduct.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
Not shocked at all. Feels like the league always has been about keeping the calls close to even and not just making the damn calls.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It seems excessive to fire a guy for that and say he won't be re-hired, considering some of the things players can do and not have the same happen to them, but it sets the right tone. If you try to do anything other than your job as an official, you will be sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad