Post-Game Talk: “The One That Got Cloned Angry”

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
It looked to me that they forgot for this game that their recent success has come from allowing their team defense to drive the offense. They have success when as a team they settle things down in their own end and just wait for the opportunities to come. This game they thought their weak offense could carry the play and they were wrong.

Reactions: Cypress

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Lost in the Debacle last night is that Draisaitl was on one of the longest pts in games streaks of the NHL season and that is now done. He had a shot at the longest streak of any player all season.

So last night Drai gets setup around 4 times, has 3 shots on goal, and none of these particularly good feeds but he sets up others a dozen times and they don't cash.

Meanwhile the team is feeding Nuge constantly on the PP last night on a night where the puck was also falling to Nuge and he had 7 premium scoring chances and finished nil. Nuge also, somehow, has only one assist in his last 15 GP and while being on the top PP unit with McDrai EVERY game. How does that even occur? 1 assist in 15games?!

Nuge hasn't looked the same lately. Maybe the return of Gagner has him thinking jesus we have come full circle and we still suck.

On a more serious note he looks tired or banged up. Mcdavid looks tired also. Dria is playing well but also seems burnt out. 27 mins. Gee i wonder why.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Idiocy abounds.
Let’s take a look at what Nuge actually brings.
Among forwards his +/- is 3rd worst, at -11 he’s ahead of Puli and Brodziak only. Of his 36 assists 22 are on the pp, so that’s 14 at even strength. He has 2 gwg, so does Kassian, his shooting % is 11.8, Kass’ is 12.9. Chaisson has 2 fewer goals despite playing 9 fewer games. Nuge is 46% on the dot and has 1 shg, are these numbers good for someone touted as a good defensive player? He’s paid 6M and will want a raise in 2 years, if we paid him 1-2M, put him on the 4th line would his numbers be any better than Cave’s? Atleast Cave can play the body. Nuge is the worst first overall pick still playing in the league by a long shot, but go ahead and keep defending this soft, leaderless excuse of a player. I can’t wait for the day he’s finally shipped out.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
It sucks we lost last night but at least we can get it back against the crap Coyotes. It’s the games after I’m worried about Vegas and Blues.

No you cant just get it back by "beating the coyotes" we lost an opportunity for what was supposed to be an EASY 2 POINTS. We couldn't afford to lose these easy games... From my point of view we now have next to zero chance at the playoffs when you factor in that we can really only lose 1 more game and we just blew one against what was supposed to be one of our easier games. Now they most likely have to go 11-1-0 to finish the season. Sorry man but last night was basically the end. We should tank now for a draft pick.

JMO.

And I was 100% on board as of yesterday check the post history... but if we are gonna drop games against NJ in this fashion we have zero chance man. Sorry.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No you cant just get it back by "beating the coyotes" we lost an opportunity for what was supposed to be an EASY 2 POINTS. We couldn't afford to lose these easy games... From my point of view we now have next to zero chance at the playoffs when you factor in that we can really only lose 1 more game and we just blew one against what was supposed to be one of our easier games. Now they most likely have to go 11-1-0 to finish the season. Sorry man but last night was basically the end. We should tank now for a draft pick.

JMO.

Here is how I view this....the Oilers weren't going to (and didnt need to) win every game.
Before last nights game they likely need to win 75% of the remaining 13 games. So thats about 3 regulation losses and 1 OT loss.
They lost to a weaker team yesterday so now they have to beat a team that they weren't supposed to beat.

The loss wasnt fatal but it made an already difficult task more difficult.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I read a stat during game that NJ was 1 for 28 on the PP coming into last nights game in their losing streak. They never had a problem with us ffs

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017

This "playoff run" has been ridiculously overhyped. The oilers have had a 95%+ chance of missing the playoffs for weeks. They currently have a 98.1% chance of missing it. This team is hopelessly flawed. The oilers never had a chance, even in a historically bad year for our division.

The expectations for this team are beyond pathetic. It sickens me that there has been any kind of attempt whatsoever to mask the complete awfulness of this season. We have some of the best players in the world and management is trying to sell things like we're just around the corner, and much of the fan base seemingly forgets we've seen this show like 3 to 4 times over the last decade plus. The goal was to be contenders and nothing less, and here we are trying to pretend falling well behind in this turtle race for the 8th seed isn't completely pathetic.

Reactions: MikeYEG

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

JMO.

And I was 100% on board as of yesterday check the post history... but if we are gonna drop games against NJ in this fashion we have zero chance man. Sorry.

Todd is a facetious poster. His posts almost always mean something other than what is stated in words.

But yeah, we're done. No surprise, and I expected NJ game to be difficult just as almost all the other games have been recently. What I was surprised at is how much the Devils ran us out of our own rink despite us having a huge advantage in PP time.

Reactions: Chabot84

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This "playoff run" has been ridiculously overhyped. The oilers have had a 95%+ chance of missing the playoffs for weeks. They currently have a 98.1% chance of missing it. This team is hopelessly flawed. The oilers never had a chance, even in a historically bad year for our division.

The expectations for this team are beyond pathetic. It sickens me that there has been any kind of attempt whatsoever to mask the complete awfulness of this season. We have some of the best players in the world and management is trying to sell things like we're just around the corner, and much of the fan base seemingly forgets we've seen this show like 3 to 4 times over the last decade plus. The goal was to be contenders and nothing less, and here we are trying to pretend falling well behind in this turtle race for the 8th seed isn't completely pathetic.

Do I ever hear you, heh, I definitely speak this language. My wife kind of looks at me sideways by now when I lol during the games, often, and its like viewing a bad comedy show.

All the D were lost last night as was Koskinen who was fighting it from the start. You just knew early in it was going to be one of his stinkers. He was not focused. It unraveled from there and even with a fortuitous lead we were playing so bad the result was inevitable. Hitchcock must have blown his gasket between 2nd and 3rd intermission because the Oilers came out with 5 mins of jump and then kind of fell asleep again. We even had another 4mins in a row of PP in the 3rd and nothing. In total we had over 5mins of PP in the 3rd period alone.

But Nicholson and the braintrust here will sell this off as another "we're working on it and sealing all the gaps" and the ship should be ready to sink again in time for next season. If the Oilers ran a passenger line it would be White Star, without any accolades.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I can't explain why, but I've never been a fan of RNH. I agree with alot of what Cloned says about him. He's just not a strong guy. Can't protect the puck to save his life, gets knocked off it way to easy and it's been a long time, not just a bad stretch. I'm at the point of the two Bob's in Office Space asking Nuge "What would you say, you do here?".

Maybe he feels like he's lost his identity with the team (just grasping at straws)? It's all about Connor and Leon now and they are the faces of the franchise. He's just another dude on the team...he's the lone wolf remaining from his pack of Hall, Eberle and Schultz.

I'm the exact opposite (always been a fan) so I guess we do come at this from opposing perspectives. As for the creativity thing, I think it was coached out of his game by Eakins and then McLellan. I think we saw a lot of his old creativity return in the first half of this season, when McLellan finally gave him that offensive freedom. Now I feel like while Hitch obviously likes RNH based on his comments, Nuge is one of a few players on the team that has been hurt more than helped by the coaching change. Add in the fact that his production earlier was unsustainable given the low quality of his wingers and there you go.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

JMO.

You can't "get back", what you never had in the first place... lol

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Sorry Todd, but we couldn't even beat, an even crappier Devils team...
Like your positive attitude...

NJ was on the second of a back to back and were in prime game mode and coming off a 9-4 spanking, I expected them to come out strong and they did. Coyotes will be an easy win. I still believe.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Here is how I view this....the Oilers weren't going to (and didnt need to) win every game.
Before last nights game they likely need to win 75% of the remaining 13 games. So thats about 3 regulation losses and 1 OT loss.
They lost to a weaker team yesterday so now they have to beat a team that they weren't supposed to beat.

Your math is way off unfortunately. You are asking for ALL the teams ahead of us to completey chit the bed.

I was 100% on board yesterday when the math still made sense and I looked at our schedule and I said... you know what... we might just be able to do this. Unfortunately losing to NJ means we have to run the table on Arizona, Vegas, St Louis and Columbus before we get back to an easier schedule of which we will have to run the table against Ottawa, Kings, Dallas and Anaheim.

And that's just so that we can budget one loss into the last 4 of our games which consist of;

Calgary, San Jose, Colorado and Vegas.

Now you can go ahead and budget more losses and still predict we make playoffs but I'm telling you its not looking good... we can afford one more loss.. anything more then that and we are pretty much toast.

This task definitely got a lot more difficult with a loss to NJ.. I agree with you 100%. Mission Impossible.

If the Oilers win the next 5 games I will jump back on the playoff bandwagon

Last edited:

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
6% chance at 1OA
19% chance at Top 3
<2% chance of playoffs

giphy.gif

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
Let’s take a look at what Nuge actually brings.
Among forwards his +/- is 3rd worst, at -11 he’s ahead of Puli and Brodziak only. Of his 36 assists 22 are on the pp, so that’s 14 at even strength. He has 2 gwg, so does Kassian, his shooting % is 11.8, Kass’ is 12.9. Chaisson has 2 fewer goals despite playing 9 fewer games. Nuge is 46% on the dot and has 1 shg, are these numbers good for someone touted as a good defensive player? He’s paid 6M and will want a raise in 2 years, if we paid him 1-2M, put him on the 4th line would his numbers be any better than Cave’s? Atleast Cave can play the body. Nuge is the worst first overall pick still playing in the league by a long shot, but go ahead and keep defending this soft, leaderless excuse of a player. I can’t wait for the day he’s finally shipped out.

This seems a bit harsh, I don't think there is much comparison between Nuge and any of the guys you listed (Pulj, Brodziak, Kassian, Chiasson, Cave). Sure they might beat Nuge in an individual stat here or there, but Nuge is a far better player than any of them. The fact is that Nuge is a 58 point C who plays an average of 20 mins a game against tough competition with 52.3% defensive zone starts. He's the third best forward on the team and a significant contributor both on the PP and the PK. Plus he has 2 seasons left on his contract. I think you'd have a hard time replacing a player like that with a $6M cap hit. There are 11 other forwards on this roster I'd look at replacing before I turned my attention to Nuge.

Reactions: joestevens29

MikeYEG

Feb 7, 2019

This .We've never really had a chance, I've been saying it before. What's worse, this fictional "playoff run" has the OBC thinking they just have to tweak some minor things and everything will be OK. Brace yourselves for Kretzky the GM...

Reactions: MikeGrier99

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really not understanding the point of playing Currie so little. If you're not going to play him in some sort of offensive role then send him back to the AHL.

Be nice to have one of those coaches that isn't afraid of giving guys with skill a shot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I look at the wins a bit differently. Can this team compete with teams that are trying to make the playoffs. Lots of teams are starting their playoff hockey now.

That and this team needs to learn how to play complete games consistently. I look at the wins more of a victory for the team in regards to a team evolving.

As much as fans want to see wins and progress, there are a lot of guys in the room that need to go into the summer on a positive note

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

I want to show you man... so you say we can handle 2 more losses and 1 OT loss and still make playoffs. Well lets figure out what that means the other teams ahead of records have to look like:

So our record in the next 12 games would be 9-2-1 equivalent to 19 points and has us finishing the season with 88 points.

So we need the teams ahead of us to be one point behind in order to get in so lets do the math.. im not gonna bother with TIE and ROW situations for this---

We would need the teams ahead of us to have the following records at maximum for points:

Dallas 5-7-1
Arizona 6-5-1
Minnesota 7-5-0
Colorado 8-4-0
Chicago 8-4-1

So we would need 4 of those 5 teams to all have worst records then the ones above while we go 9-2-1 to make the playoffs. If two of those teams have a better record to close out the season, we don't make it.

So yeah, with your math we have a chance but its very dependant on others. It looks like a good shot at catching Colorado and Chicago but not so much Minny and Arizona.. and Dallas is super far fetched so only one of Minny or Arizona needs to beat that record

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad