Post-Game Talk: “Okay campers, rise, and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there…“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Terrible game. Expecting more of this and worse for the next couple of seasons.

I would be ok with that if they got rid of 71 and 58 and start a rebuild around the veteran Crosby. But trying to recycle this washed out "core" over and over again is plain stupid on the owners' part.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I kind of want to see them in the playoffs now. This team healthy is a lot different than us running Carter at 2C for 3 of the 4 games.

If your two superstars making 18+ mln combined can't perform well because Jason Zucker isn't in the lineup - then it means something is seriously, seriously wrong with your two superstars.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Are they? I don’t see a lot from that team. They look like a bunch of young kids who haven’t hit the real season yet. Glad they are cocky about shutting us out in April. I’m not taking the Penguins to win the series, but I don’t really see anything scary after them acting like they dominated the league tonight by beating a handicapped Penguins squad missing 4 regulars.

Avs were missing like 4 top players in games against us.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
You can play all the new kids you want, but if they’re all too afraid of making even minor mistakes for fear of being sent right back down to WBS, does it really make a difference to call them up?

It’s becoming more and more of a thing for the call-ups to finally get into the lineup and when there, they just play a super-safe game and you don’t even notice them. Almost as if they’re being called up just to play like a ZAR.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You can play all the new kids you want, but if they’re all too afraid of making even minor mistakes for fear of being sent right back down to WBS, does it really make a difference to call them up?

It’s becoming more and more of a thing for the call-ups to get finally get into the lineup and when there, they just play a super-safe game and you don’t even notice them. Almost as if they’re being called up just to play like a ZAR.

yes, dont do anything exciting good or bad while you’re here…then maybe you’ll get a call up to play another 4 minutes in some other game lol…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There's the hurt excuse. BINGO!

Why resign an always hurt player?
Because he’s better than anyone else we’ll be getting to play 2C in the next 2-3 years,and please don’t say Blueger who has never shown the offensively capability required to be a top six player…

while you’re focused on your obsession, his playing on this team has not caused the following to occur by his lonesome: Penguins are now 10-10-2 in their last 22 which is the worst among all 16 playoff teams. (23rd in the league)

Only 4 forwards have more than 3 goals in these 22 games.

the problems with this team are much much bigger than Geno

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
This is where my mind's at...these games don't mean anything on a good day. They mean less than that to the core of this team and the others who have won. I'm not saying we're going to go on a run, but we might. Also not saying Sullivan is going to pull his head out of his ass, but he might, and events might force him. This core has played 16 years, been to the finals four times, and won three times. That game means nothing to them folks, and it shouldn't. That the Rangers and their fans were treating this as some kind of rivalry game speaks to the utter catastrophe that's been their playoff record in the last thirty years.

The real games start in 3 weeks. I think the core tries to get up for these games but just doesn't give a shit to be honest. They are older and there's no reason to kill themselves when they already have a spot locked basically. We'll see a different intensity in the playoffs. I don't think these games mean anything to what our form will be, one due our health and two due to us not giving a shit about the last few weeks of the regul;ar season. We are what we are at this point, three more weeks isn't going to change what this team is. It's going to come down to who coaches and plays better when it matters. f*** the Rangers too, whiny little shits
Bingo. I’ll never forget thinking the 06-07 pens were hot shit until they got stomped by a veteran senators team.

Reactions: Trade

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't know anything about Warsofsky as a coach, but I agree about MSL. It's refreshing to see a coach actually try and cater to skilled players and work with them to help them reach their potential. More of that please, NHL.

Are Mario/Burkle still involved heavily after the sale? That's a bummer.
As a manager in my department and even as a coach back in the day for rugby, general coaching of players is stupid to me. If you have players of all sorts of skillsets, you have to play to their strengths and utilize them that way. To change who they are and the DNA of their game to fit your needs is completely missing the point as a person that is there to coach, mentor, and develop. That's not a diss to anyone in particular but you see how certain players do well for some coaches and it's often the players that get hated on when maybe, just maybe, they're not being coached correctly. No one learns the same way, if your job is to make a group better and you're treating them as if they learn the same way, you're failing and that method never has a good track record for longevity.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Mario fully shares the responsibility for this team. He vetoed trading away Malkin and Letang and starting the rebuild.
Letang I agree with but Malkin, you will never have me agree with moving Malkin. Because you can get another C in here and the same issues will persist - catering to Crosby's line and throwing shit at the wall for the second line.

This franchise has been doing Geno dirty for years and blaming him for not making random ideas work, meanwhile Crosby gets specific wingers catering to his strengths.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The 2016-17 Penguins were 4-6 in their last 10 games before the playoffs, including a four-game losing streak that featured a 6-2 loss to Philly and 5-1 loss to Chicago. They won the Cup.
I didn't go back to the cup years for a reason. It's maintaining a strong contender that's a huge problem with the coach and JR before he left. It's since continued to be a problem with how the coach has utilized his lineup.

2015-16 Pens had to fire their head coach too.
2016-17 Pens were still ushering in a speed game that most teams still had not caught on to and were pouring on shots that were not sustainable and since then the coach has not been able evolve with the style his own team made popular and the trend.

So yeah, it's why I didn't go back to the 2 cups because those were great but what you do after winning those cups are more important. Cup winning teams set trends others copy, when LA And Chicago won it was speed, size, and physical brands that won. Pens won with skill and speed and Tampa and Stl evolved those into their own and won.

Pens? They're still trying to make 2015-2017 work and everyone else has mostly moved forward for contenders.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Because he’s better than anyone else we’ll be getting to play 2C in the next 2-3 years,and please don’t say Blueger who has never shown the offensively capability required to be a top six player…

while you’re focused on your obsession, his playing on this team has not caused the following to occur by his lonesome: Penguins are now 10-10-2 in their last 22 which is the worst among all 16 playoff teams. (23rd in the league)

Only 4 forwards have more than 3 goals in these 22 games.

the problems with this team are much much bigger than Geno

He's not better if he plays half the games. Not even sure how you can argue otherwise. If he plays or not plays his cap hit counts.

We lost last night, biggest game of the year because of #71. What you think that defense on the first goal is acceptable? Was his one attempted shot accceptable? Was his penalty acceptable? Was is meltdown after the game acceptable after the game?

The best players get paid the most most money to be our best players. Malkin's play does not meet these standards. Some games he's straight stealing paychecks.

But hey he's hurt and his linemates suck. And sullivan is a turd. And he missing his wife. And he'll do better when their are fans in the seats....oh wait there are.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What makes a hockey coach good or bad? It's an instinctual game, like baseball and basketball, there's only so much a coach can do to make his team better. (football is the outlier) But a hockey coach can be a bad coach or bad for a particular team.

Do people really believe that DB was a better hockey coach than Michel Therrien? Well if you use the logic I hear in regards to Sully's 2 cups, I would assume the answer is a resounding yes. Reality was, Therrien was an awesome coach, but his style rubbed too many key players the wrong way. DB enters, lightens the mood and viola......

Was Mike Johnston a bad coach? Looking at it, he never had a chance. Those same key players never bought into him and management was never going to side with MJ over those players. So the team grew lethargic and he did what nearly all hockey coaches do when failing, apply more structure/defense as a way to get back to the basics. Sully comes in with a pedigree, loosens the reigns, a few key trades and a youth injection.......viola, Sully is a genius!!

4 years later, Sully is becoming a bad mix of DB and MJ; DB's stubbornness and loyalty to a certain gang, and MJ's structure/defense panic to fall back on. But there's one more element with Sully, they let him help shape the roster. Sully's style that everyone beamed over in 16 wasn't new, it was different for this team and it also caught the league literally flat footed. But that style that's he's still sticking by because it worked so well 5 years ago isn't catching anyone by surprise. In fact, the Rangers play that same style to a tee. Only their players are younger, faster, stronger and more physical.

Is Sully a good coach? That's not the question that should be asked here or at the Pens FO. The real question to ask, Is Sully a good coach for this team right now? I believe that answer to be a resounding no.

Maybe they get their lines right, maybe the team gels in the last week, maybe Jarry steps up into an all world category and maybe they win a round and look great in doing so.

That's too many maybe's for me.

The sun rises from east, milk comes from utters and hockey coaches have a short shelf life. I'm not a negative Nancy, I just refuse to drink the spoiled milk.
I think that's fair.

I've never stated Sullivan's an awful coach. Just that he's not the right coach for this team anymore because the things that made him successful aren't things he's doing anymore. He came in guns blazing - utilized youth, tinkered with MJ's system with his own and had a mix that worked, so well that it worked twice and the league started to copy it.

But when you set a trend, you have to look at your own work and evolve it. When you can't anymore it's when you see a coach start failing. Bylsma literally ran into the same shit. Sullivan is now in the same boat.

Do we have a bad roster? I don't necessarily think we do. I think the usage of it at times makes no sense and the lack of usage for youth is bizarre at best. Sullivan of the last 4yrs is a far cry from the innovative Sullivan of the first year and a half.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's not better if he plays half the games. Not even sure how you can argue otherwise. If he plays or not plays his cap hit counts.

We lost last night, biggest game of the year because of #71. What you think that defense on the first goal is acceptable? Was his one attempted shot accceptable? Was his penalty acceptable? Was is meltdown after the game acceptable after the game?

The best players get paid the most most money to be our best players. Malkin's play does not meet these standards. Some games he's straight stealing paychecks.

But hey he's hurt and his linemates suck. And sullivan is a turd. And he missing his wife. And he'll do better when their are fans in the seats....oh wait there are.
We should have traded that soft headed Crosby when he took a blind side and couldn't come back with a wonky neck. Heck, when he needed a wrist surgery, what kind of limp wanker needs that?

Trade Crosby and let Malkin go, I say. Let's get Phil back, he's missed like no games forever. That's reliability.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

your take that he singlehandedly lost the game last night is one of the most ridiculous statements ever made. That’s why it’s hard to discuss anything with you. Your reality is incredibly delusional. Sure, he’s overpaid now but he wasn’t overpaid in his prime and may have been underpaid…them’s the breaks for all NHL teams signing players to 7-8 year deals, happens everywhere….almost every player takes stupid penalties, go watch other teams…

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
your take that he singlehandedly lost the game last night is one of the most ridiculous statements ever made. That’s why it’s hard to discuss anything with you. Your reality is incredibly delusional. Sure, he’s overpaid now but he wasn’t overpaid in his prime and may have been underpaid…them’s the breaks for all NHL teams signing players to 7-8 year deals, happens everywhere….almost every player takes stupid penalties, go watch other teams…

Zero shots...no points. Reason for the first goal against the first 20 seconds of the second period. Just not buying in, not focused, not playing winning hockey.

Not being a good leader.

He didn't step up. He wilted.

Delusional is throwing a injury claim out there as an excuse.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Zero shots...no points. Reason for the first goal against the first 20 seconds of the second period. Just not buying in, not focused, not playing winning hockey.

Not being a good leader.

I think you have an unhealthy obsession with this player

• Haha
Reactions: Trade

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Not being a good leader.

He didn't wilt at all. He was thrown together with Jake & Rust and it wasn't just Malkin that struggled, that line, like it has been all year, was an issue yet again defensively. Malkin was actually playing better defense in yesterday's game than he was with Carter and Heinen and others. He looked more engaged, but then you had Guentzel pulling up on shots, missing a point blank one, Rust looked solid the whole game imo. But to say Malkin was one of the issues for losing is beyond ridiculous.

Malkin should have had Rust back with him and Rakell on the left side, then Guentzel down to the Blueger line with Kapanen. Because for one, we know R-M-R was actually showing solid chemistry, so you naturally go back to that, throwing Malkin onto a line he hasn't been on for a while didn't work, you'd think that would prompt a juggle in the lines, but nope, nothing.

Malkin had a severe knee injury that he came back from and has 36pts in 35 games while struggling, the fact that people are complaining about that without context is comical.

I don't know why any of us engage with you on any of your bad hot takes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol, yeah...

He has this hard on for Malkin hate. Yet he won't mention that out of the 30 shots on net...

GMR had 2 shots on net, 2 of them being Jake. Blueger also had no shots on net, same for Angello (duh), Ruhwedel, and Dumoulin. Same for Hallander who played all of 5mins, what the f*** was even the point to call him up and utilize him so poorly? I don't really get that one at all.

They call up Hallander, had him in a practice, then a game where he played all of 5mins.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

You whole account is posts like this. Social media ain't healthy for you boss, I'd consider taking a step back

Reactions: Andy99

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
He didn't wilt at all. He was thrown together with Jake & Rust and it wasn't just Malkin that struggled, that line, like it has been all year, was an issue yet again defensively. Malkin was actually playing better defense in yesterday's game than he was with Carter and Heinen and others. He looked more engaged, but then you had Guentzel pulling up on shots, missing a point blank one, Rust looked solid the whole game imo. But to say Malkin was one of the issues for losing is beyond ridiculous.

Malkin should have had Rust back with him and Rakell on the left side, then Guentzel down to the Blueger line with Kapanen. Because for one, we know R-M-R was actually showing solid chemistry, so you naturally go back to that, throwing Malkin onto a line he hasn't been on for a while didn't work, you'd think that would prompt a juggle in the lines, but nope, nothing.

Malkin had a severe knee injury that he came back from and has 36pts in 35 games while struggling, the fact that people are complaining about that without context is comical.

I don't know why any of us engage with you on any of your bad hot takes.
So it was Guentzels fault. But Sid always gets the preferred linemates!!!

What a hypocrite

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Only a Rags fan would think last night’s game was the “biggest game of the year”

What exactly do we have to prove in a regular season game when our playoff spot is essentially guaranteed? We’re playing with house money at this point, they’re trying to convince themselves they’re contenders. Huge difference.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Not being a good leader.

I swear this is Mark Madden's HF user account. Hatred of Malkin combined with blind devotion to Sullivan checks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad