Post-Game Talk: “Okay campers, rise, and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there…“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Interesting article…I don’t think it means a lot but I’m pulling out a section to highlight…also should have looked at goalies playing less than 60 games…none of the last Cup winners had goalies playing more…most of the Pens “good“ stats were built the first half of the season…looking at the last half, the numbers have come down substantially and don’t reflect that we should be in contender status…

“It feels as if most Cup winners enter the playoffs with momentum, and the numbers do back that up. All but two of the last 12 champions had a winning percentage at or above 62.5 from Feb. 1 on. Several of them were significantly higher.

This is a big area of concern for the Penguins. This is the one box they don’t check, having gone 14-10-3 since Feb. 1, which is a points percentage of .574.”

Reactions: ColePens

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
There's 10 games left, 2 vs the Islanders, 2 vs the Bruins and a game against the Caps, etc.

This can go very horribly, but I mean, this team has gone down the stretch hot and also been blown out in the 1st. I don't think any sort of hot streak is going to save this team.

Let's just go last 10 games for each and then the end result for the playoffs:

* 2017-18: 6-3-1 - Lost in the 2nd round after Tom Wilson destroyed ZAR's face
* 2018-19: 5-4-1 - Swept by the Islanders in the 1st round, first time in Sidney Crosby's career.
* 2019-20: 3-7-0 - This is when Sullivan should have been fired, everything about this season showed his warts full blast - After stoppage, they lost to the Flyers in OT for the Exhibition - In the most embarrassing moment yet, they lost to the Habs in the play in, they didn't even technically qualify for the playoffs, but were given the exemption of being out in the playoffs.
* 2020-21: 8-2-0 - Islanders beat the Pens 4-2.
The 2016-17 Penguins were 4-6 in their last 10 games before the playoffs, including a four-game losing streak that featured a 6-2 loss to Philly and 5-1 loss to Chicago. They won the Cup.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Love how we just make up narratives on this board despite a complete lack of evidence.
You don't think Malkin's lack of defensive effort is the real problem in a game where we scored zero goals despite creating two times more high danger chances than the opposition? Blasphemy!

Reactions: Andy99

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If a coach did this same rant in any other of the 3 major sports with clear English, it would be known verbatim by a large portion of sports fan audience.

i loved that man!
Oh, but WE know this one verbatim, and it is such a favorite for me. It needed to be said, and it was important that it was. That's all that matters. I could never hate MT after that. It was time to move on, and it was great that we did, but part of me will always love the guy for that interview.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
+: I wasn't able to watch the game because of circumstances.
-: I was still able to follow along on my phone.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From RW’s blog this morning… relying on health and the coach to stop being stubborn is a recipe for failure in the ‘Burgh and he should know better! Lol…

“Even if the Penguins have a fully healthy lineup Mike Sullivan is going to have to figure out how to maximize the output of his players. He will need to re-evaluate the roles for Brian Dumoulin and Jeff Carter. Two players who have a good track record of success in their roles who are currently not meeting the standard for staying in those roles. Dumoulin is playing like a bottom pairing defenseman and Jeff Carter is playing like a 4th line player. Mike Matheson and Teddy Blueger might need to be called on for an elevated role and I would be giving those players an elevated role leading into the playoffs to see how it goes. Sullivan will also have to lean into getting Crosby and Malkin out there together more often at 5v5. To his credit for the first time in a long time he has done more of it.

The results against the Rangers haven’t been ideal, especially the lack of goal scoring. That said, the version of the Penguins team facing the Rangers in the regular season doesn’t have to be the same one facing them in the playoffs. They’ll need some health luck and a coach willing to make some hard decisions.”

Reactions: Smasher

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sullivan’s postgame comments are always the same: he loves the process they are playing with but they just can’t score, he says, lol…why can’t he figure out that they can’t play the way he ideally wants them to play and therefore the process is flawed, leading to a lack of scoring?

for example,
we are being outboxed in the Ozone. Not dramatically - but noticeably. The effort is there. The current roster is not. Teams that play fast - transition well and know that we play high low in the zone to keep possession , know how to defend us. The issue with our puck possession system against teams like the rangers is that if they play tight man defense and let us cycle low to high and then block lanes, we don’t get good looks. We need to play from the corners to the net and stop playing on the outside.

The Rags, by contrast, play off the rush but with drive towards the net. Inside and they work it from low too the net mostly. The may lose possession time BUT they transition back in 5s and skate. It’s very aggressive but with awareness. They seem to play with a little more of that bite and jump. While we try to slow the game down and keep pucks in our zone.

We need to execute quicker, get back if plays fall apart - play tight and keep going.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Here’s a poster in another forum sharing my concerns: lol…yes, on a coffee rampage this morning…Sullivan needs to go…

“watching these Rangers games has been like a rerun of the Habs and Isles series' the last few years. It's systematic, because when you look at the Pens' roster, there's still a lot of scoring talent there, but when you watch these games, there just isn't much sustained pressure or puck possession. Teams have absolutely figured out the way to beat this system. I'm hoping, like some have suggested, that Sullivan is playing a little rope-a-dope and has a plan for answering this in the playoffs. I can hope, but not sure it's going to come true.”

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Also, on Malkin—he was playing really well up until the Minn game and he appeared to get hurt in that game.

He was playing great then got creamed a couple times and limped back to the bench. His game has fallen off significantly since.

Reactions: Giskard

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
From RW’s blog this morning… relying on health and the coach to stop being stubborn is a recipe for failure in the ‘Burgh and he should know better! Lol…

“Even Dumoulin is playing like a bottom pairing defenseman and Jeff Carter is playing like a 4th line player. Mike Matheson and Teddy Blueger might need to be called on for an elevated role
matty needs to be playing right where he is. his mistakes can't be capitalized on by lesser players but if put higher up in the line up look out.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Here’s a poster in another forum sharing my concerns: lol…yes, on a coffee rampage this morning…Sullivan needs to go…

“watching these Rangers games has been like a rerun of the Habs and Isles series' the last few years. It's systematic, because when you look at the Pens' roster, there's still a lot of scoring talent there, but when you watch these games, there just isn't much sustained pressure or puck possession. Teams have absolutely figured out the way to beat this system. I'm hoping, like some have suggested, that Sullivan is playing a little rope-a-dope and has a plan for answering this in the playoffs. I can hope, but not sure it's going to come true.”

You're correct with nearly everything you've posted this morning Andy. Problem is, nothing can be changed for this team this year.

It's like my dad used always say to us, "you make your bed, you're going to lay in it"

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Recently every year seems to follow the same arc. We find an identity with guys out, get rolling, and then by the end of the season when guys get back we look flat, uninspired, and simply done. This team needs an overhaul. Since it can't really be with the players it is going to need to be with the coaching. It seems pretty obvious that we are headed to another first round exit.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Recently every year seems to follow the same arc. We find an identity with guys out, get rolling, and then by the end of the season when guys get back we look flat, uninspired, and simply done. This team needs an overhaul. Since it can't really be with the players it is going to need to be with the coaching. It seems pretty obvious that we are headed to another first round exit.
You know it’s coaching when you change quite a few players in the last three seasons and it’s always the same…players start out great here and then fade the more they get a handle on playing the way Sullivan wants lol…

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Let me ask you guys something. What coach is going to get more out of a roster the relies on superstars that are getting very close to being on the wrong side of 35?

Frankly I think the performance that Sullivan has gotten out of this team is pretty damned good. He has his warts, as every coach does, but I don't think we could do better. I really don't.

Yeah, we might lose in the first round again. That sucks. I hate it. But if we do I don't think it will be because our coach is bad or our system got figured out.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Penguins Hockey is scoring more than the opposition. You win a large amount of the time when you score more goals. Not sure why Penguins hockey isn’t working.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Let me ask you guys something. What coach is going to get more out of a roster the relies on superstars that are getting very close to being on the wrong side of 35?

Frankly I think the performance that Sullivan has gotten out of this team is pretty damned good. He has his warts, as every coach does, but I don't think we could do better. I really don't.

Yeah, we might lose in the first round again. That sucks. I hate it. But if we do I don't think it will be because our coach is bad or our system got figured out.

stop relying on the superstars then…go play like the Isles lol…

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Rangers defense is really good, good back check, breakout and forecheck…. Lol. What else am I supposed to say. Sometimes you have to give a great team credit. That team can win the cup.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
But everyone wanted carter off malkins line after one game? Isn’t that hypocritical?

Difference is Carter honestly doesn't fit with Malkin, and doesn't achieve a 3 center model we are aiming for. I would try and figure out a set line for Carter and fill in Malkin's wing. Erod/Kap/Blueger are possible placeholders.

The Geno hate here is just...

Very disappointing. Kind of disheartening to see.

I love Geno, but he played like crap the last few games. Just seemed out of sync, or something wrong. Maybe he's just getting old, but I refuse to believe that as he's done really well many games this season.

Now next year...well...we'll see :\.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
This is where my mind's at...these games don't mean anything on a good day. They mean less than that to the core of this team and the others who have won. I'm not saying we're going to go on a run, but we might. Also not saying Sullivan is going to pull his head out of his ass, but he might, and events might force him. This core has played 16 years, been to the finals four times, and won three times. That game means nothing to them folks, and it shouldn't. That the Rangers and their fans were treating this as some kind of rivalry game speaks to the utter catastrophe that's been their playoff record in the last thirty years.

The real games start in 3 weeks. I think the core tries to get up for these games but just doesn't give a shit to be honest. They are older and there's no reason to kill themselves when they already have a spot locked basically. We'll see a different intensity in the playoffs. I don't think these games mean anything to what our form will be, one due our health and two due to us not giving a shit about the last few weeks of the regul;ar season. We are what we are at this point, three more weeks isn't going to change what this team is. It's going to come down to who coaches and plays better when it matters. f*** the Rangers too, whiny little shits

Reactions: Giskard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad