Post-Game Talk: “Okay campers, rise, and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there…“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I’m telling you that if Sullivan is still around after this season, this Erod guy is going to be a nightmare for us. He’ll be rotating in and out of the top-6 for as long as Sullivan is here. I hope Hextall and Burke find a way to get rid of him.

I’m sick of fringe guys being put in positions they have no business being in because the coach has an emotional attachment to them.
I don't really give a shit about the current stuff too much because I think the window slammed shut a while ago, but I really do not want Sully in charge of the rebuild. Absolutely do not want that dude to be responsible for molding the development of blue chip, potentially offensively elite prospects. He'll have 'em all trying to be ZAR clones.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
So if Geno plays like shit and looks disinterested with shitty wingers, why is he not “pouting?”

The double standards on here make me laugh sometimes.

The thing is, I want to believe with Geno. He is favorite player for me (seriously) so I perk up when he steps on the ice. I watch him more. Viscerally I want him to be the highest scorer, etc. on the team.

Now for 3 of the last 4 seasons, the team is better at even strength when he isn't on the ice. He isn't generating offense consistently and the great plays that he does make are within the hockey "flow" but are not in the realm of scoring. Meanwhile, his defensive loop-di-loop makes him incredibly easy to play against. He is a non-entity above the dots in the defensive zone. Really the thing that sucks is that even if he is going well and looks good in terms of skillful plays, nothing actually translates to dangerous chances 5-on-5. But he has been pretty good on the PP.

Reactions: vodeni and Pengu

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Worst part is Rangers are not even that good, they're certainly not as good as teams like Colorado or Florida. The way they beat pens easily the last few games just shows how pathetic the Pens are. They can only beat garbage teams like the Red wings. Against good teams, they barely hang on for regulation or win in overtime.

Sullivan has destroyed this team with his "system" or lack of.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Sullivan could be a curse if he sticks around post Sid/Geno/Letang. He’s the kind of coach that can make a team full of scrubs relevant enough to claw their way into the playoffs and maybe even win a round.

In other words we wouldn’t be bad enough for high picks or good enough to be truly relevant. We’d get stuck in that Flyers wasteland of not good enough to compete or bad enough to get quality draft picks.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
These were pretty close games outside of the one Rangers curb stomp. We could have won either Colorado game if we'd gotten better goaltending, to be frank. Tonight as well.

I'd be way more concerned if we were getting dominated in these games, but we haven't been.

That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of issues to address. There are. But we can compete with anyone.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean it’s kind of hard to hate on a guy who has 9 shots tonight.

It’s funny when people say he’d be good on a bad team and don’t realize the reality there.

Rodrigues getting 9 shots isn't always a positive considering one of the biggest issues with how he plays is he has zero vision and just takes shots when a pass to a wide open teammate is the smarter play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And I'm going to hate on him even if he scores 2 goals because I'm just so fed up of players like him getting preferential treatment and usage from Sullivan.

It's a long burning hatred not just a "what he did in this particular game" thing.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sully can only be successful with a team full of garbage fifth line forwards. He needs 12 Simons there for his dog shit coaching to work. Not letting him go after the Habs series is insane to me.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Maybe they get hot at the right time this year. That's all I got

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Very boring game. Honestly I would rather see them playing against Florida in the playoffs than Rangers or Carolina.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
sully was responsible for JR getting the boot. I don't think JR wants a reunion
Boudreau is going to be in Vancouver for a while I think, Sullivan on the other hand should definitely be fired if they are out in the first round.

I think Sullivan would end up somewhere pretty quickly too as a lot of teams will want to jump on hiring him. I am curious if he goes all Bylsma and just ends up being an Assistant after he's fired from his next job or being fired a 2nd time wakes him up.

I would put money on Detroit being front runners, Blashill is getting fired at the end of the season after the tank job Steve Yzerman needed him to do, was completed. If Sullivan is available, Detroit would throw a ton of money at him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe they get hot at the right time this year. That's all I got
There's 10 games left, 2 vs the Islanders, 2 vs the Bruins and a game against the Caps, etc.

This can go very horribly, but I mean, this team has gone down the stretch hot and also been blown out in the 1st. I don't think any sort of hot streak is going to save this team.

Let's just go last 10 games for each and then the end result for the playoffs:

* 2017-18: 6-3-1 - Lost in the 2nd round after Tom Wilson destroyed ZAR's face
* 2018-19: 5-4-1 - Swept by the Islanders in the 1st round, first time in Sidney Crosby's career.
* 2019-20: 3-7-0 - This is when Sullivan should have been fired, everything about this season showed his warts full blast - After stoppage, they lost to the Flyers in OT for the Exhibition - In the most embarrassing moment yet, they lost to the Habs in the play in, they didn't even technically qualify for the playoffs, but were given the exemption of being out in the playoffs.
* 2020-21: 8-2-0 - Islanders beat the Pens 4-2.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't really give a shit about the current stuff too much because I think the window slammed shut a while ago, but I really do not want Sully in charge of the rebuild. Absolutely do not want that dude to be responsible for molding the development of blue chip, potentially offensively elite prospects. He'll have 'em all trying to be ZAR clones.
I like how MSL has been teaching the youth in Montreal, I still think that's a bad idea for a head coach, but Martin St.Louis is the type you would want in your farm system as a coach, the stuff he's done for Caufield and others on that team, the youth have been doing very well there under MSL. I am not a fan of JD in WBS, I think he could be ready some day, it just isn't now.

But this team needs a retool big time and I think the fact that Ron and Mario are still running the show will never see it happen. They'll keep telling Hextall to build a contender and they'll destroy any future window this team will have.

If I was going to blow it up and Sid and Geno were like yeah we're done and will retire after this season - I hire Warsofsky as the head coach.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rodrigues getting 9 shots isn't always a positive considering one of the biggest issues with how he plays is he has zero vision and just takes shots when a pass to a wide open teammate is the smarter play.
There were constant plays where he just randomly took a perimeter shot when he should have spotted his linemates, this is his issue, he shoots a ton, but he takes the worst shot opportunities each time. If anything, he just helps a goalie get settled in.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad