Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
In all fairness, can the Habs really be as bad as the Leafs were at retooling/rebuilding for over a decade???

Remembers Bergevin is GM.....slowly backs away from keyboard.....
First order of business under new direction...resign Ales Hemsky

Reactions: Liferleafer

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Edmonton still wins, contracts aside...Price has a much bigger impact than Loocheech.

Yeah but you don't get to leave out the contracts.

If Habs had signed Price long term for 6 mil per he would be easy to move and bring a good return, even after the ****y season he had.

Benji007

Jun 7, 2018
No. As much as 'negative value Weber' is an HF meme, the Habs would still get a better offer for Weber if they ever officially put him on the market. Team's still covet him even if HF doesn't.
I like Weber and think he’d be great next to Sanheim but with Philly having young defensemen coming up I wouldn’t want to pay a premium. Your prob right as I’m sure there are other teams out there that are more desperate for d upgrade than the Flyers.
Well it was worth a try I guess. :(

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Would this be the first time that someone destroyed a team's future and then got to start a rebuild as well?
I believe so, usually when when brought in after a management is let go, you start to rebuild. They achieved above expectations in Bergevins first year. They played well, then had the bad season and Bergevin blamed not having Price as an excuse.

He then goes and adds on Weber and Radulov and such and make it seem like they were going in full gear to later dissolve that team which was one of the best defensive squads in the league.

Which lead to this disaster this year.

I don’t understand how he’s brought in had a couple of good seasons then a bad season followed by a good season then the disaster.

I’ve never seen a roller coaster of ups and downs and someone stay through it to do a rebuild. I mean you could say maybe Garth Snow, but he even had his expiration date this summer.

So I don’t really know what they think Bergevin can do that he hasn’t really started from the bottom to go up then down, then up and now low again.

You figured they’d want to go a new directions especially with a rumored rebuild coming.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
if theyre commited to a straight up rebuild, itd make sense to move on from patches and weber, correct? theyve got the 3rd pick this year where they can get a great player like zadina or a center in kotkaniemi or one of the top D, along with a whopping 4x 2nd rounders. patches should get another 1st+, weber should get something decent despite the long contract because of his actual salary in the final 3 years. i wonder what weber's value is as id be interested in him if some salary went the other way or a little was retained.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
the scout from OHL that habs fired today said the year they taded Eller for 2 2nds. Timmins was about to pick girard and debincat before barginbin traded the 2 picks for Andrew Shaw.

If habs are somewhat to rebuild , that mean bergevin has almost have no power for trading picks. Timmins will make all decisions regarding the draft picks. Molson chained Bergevin hardly. Bergevin last moves will be about Pacio , resigning danault and have white card to go for Tavares for obvious reasons. After we learn that tavares wont join the habs , Bergevin will mostly be fired since his friends are falling 1 by 1. Molson cant stand Bergevin "plan "anymore at the press conference molson was more than mad bergevin than anything.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I’m not a Leafs fan and I too do not understand.

I would love to see some kind of justification outside of CUZ CHIA DUM as to why Pacioretty all things considered has more value than Klefbom all things considered.

Don’t act like Klefbom had a wonderful year as well. He’s had ONE good year and this year he was simply god awful.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I’m not a Leafs fan and I too do not understand.

I would love to see some kind of justification outside of CUZ CHIA DUM as to why Pacioretty all things considered has more value than Klefbom all things considered.

While Pacioretty does only have 1 season left under contract, he is still considered a 30 goal scorer.

The other is a dman who's had 1 good season and he's signed for 4 more years. You might be stuck with him and his shit play, or you'll get lucky and he plays like he did 2 seasons ago.

But Pacioretty is the same.

True, but Pacioretty has a history of actually being a high-end winger while Klefbom is more likely (percentage wise) to be what he was this year.

That's why Pacioretty would carry more value. Not significantly more value, but certainly worth more.

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
Considering they are not really in a position to win a Cup, why not rebuild?

Made some good tdl moves and I would continue to do so. Personally, if I was making the decisions, I would go to a team like Philly and say, give me your best package for Price.

Getting a kings ransom for Price could go a long way to a successful rebuild.
Your not getting much of anything for price with that gross contract. I wouldn’t take him on the leafs for free.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
While Pacioretty does only have 1 season left under contract, he is still considered a 30 goal scorer.

The other is a dman who's had 1 good season and he's signed for 4 more years. You might be stuck with him and his **** play, or you'll get lucky and he plays like he did 2 seasons ago.

But Pacioretty is the same.

True, but Pacioretty has a history of actually being a high-end winger while Klefbom is more likely (percentage wise) to be what he was this year.

That's why Pacioretty would carry more value. Not significantly more value, but certainly worth more.

You are incorrect. No one is giving up a top four defenceman for Pacioretty bad year or no bad year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Don’t act like Klefbom had a wonderful year as well. He’s had ONE good year and this year he was simply god awful.

He played injured 22 minutes a night and still put up very good fancystats.

Klefbom had a poor start to the season - 20 games or so. The whole team did. After that he was fine - while carrying lesser partners like Russell and Benning.

Chia would be out of his mind to move him to rent Pacioretty.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
People saying Weber's contract is "easily tradeable" are out to lunch :laugh:

His contract now is worse then the Phaneuf contract and we saw the struggle Toronto had to eventually deal that contract.

It might be moveable with some serious retention, but even then expecting any sort of significant value back(Like a "High 1st round pick" as someone hilariously put it) is nothing short of ridiculous.

The guy is already 33 years old and just suffered a major injury. He's no longer a #1D(It remains to be seen if he's even a Top 2 guy at this point) and he still has 8(!!) more years making almost $8M a year.

Very few contracts in the league are actually worse then his. Seabrook may be the only one. Not even Lucic's deal is as bad as Webers. Weber is a better player but is also making almost $2M more a season for 3 years longer, and he's already 3 years older then Lucic.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
People saying Weber's contract is "easily tradeable" are out to lunch :laugh:

His contract now is worse then the Phaneuf contract and we saw the struggle Toronto had to eventually deal that contract.

It might be moveable with some serious retention, but even then expecting any sort of significant value back(Like a "High 1st round pick" as someone hilariously put it) is nothing short of ridiculous.

The guy is already 33 years old and just suffered a major injury. He's no longer a #1D(It remains to be seen if he's even a Top 2 guy at this point) and he still has 8(!!) more years making almost $8M a year.

Very few contracts in the league are actually worse then his. Seabrook may be the only one. Not even Lucic's deal is as bad as Webers. Weber is a better player but is also making almost $2M more a season for 3 years longer, and he's already 3 years older then Lucic.
You’re leaving out the point that his cap hit and his actual salary are completely different going forward in the next couple of years.

If he retires before the end of the contract, the Predators are on the hook for his salary.

Situation could be in the later years like Lecavalier stating it would be his last year as an example to let the team know he is retiring.

There is a whole bunch of different scenarios with his contract that work in the teams favor and against the Predators.

He had an injury with a fracture in his foot. I wouldn’t call it a major injury like an ACL issue or something like you are protraying.

He is definitely top 2 for sure on a team. He was playing fantastic hockey the year before. He just was not in a good spot this passed season with playing on an injury and couldn’t play to a 100%. It is most likely fully healed for this season.

The only thing he has going against him is his age.

But with factors with his contract and such don’t make it that bad.

You are blowing everything out of proportion based on him playing on a fractured foot thinking he is done or something, is he declining, I think he could this year based on almost a whole year off. But even declining he is still a top 4, but until we see this season while healthy he still remains top 2 in my eyes.

I picture a similar skill to Duncan Keith and Zdeno Chara, as he gets older he is still top 4 even if slowing down.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad