• Owner

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Bobby

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
We'll lose this whole decade+ of generational talents in McDavid and Drai and mf'ers will be like only one team wins the cup each year so we have no right to be disappointed. Don't worry we are 60% there!!!!!

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
It's starting to become clear that last year's playoff run wasn't the ascension into the league's elite that we thought it was. McDavid and Draisatl bitchslapped the Kings and Flames and then they came up against a real team and got exposed heavily.

The last two times we made it to the second round we missed the playoffs the year after... And the last time was just sheer organizational arrogance.
I don’t think we bitch slapped the Kings
That was a really close series

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be fair
At the time, Tanev/Barrie is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other depending on what you were expecting
I know it’s beating a dead horse but, from the moment it was done, I thought we paid Nurse about 3M too much
We sure could use that room

Tanev is a pretty legit organizational defensive anchor. Vancouver's D has completely gone to shit without him, and Calgary looks lost anytime they're without him too. If the Oilers had signed him it probably would've changed their D entirely.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
So you are a 3/4 line player, you make a mistake and you sit on the bench. Then you watch your so called top 5 NHL player, assistant captain cough up the puck again or float back or not cover his man or make another stupid blind cross ice back hand pass or take another extra extended shift etc, etc, etc. and you still sit because he is the ( supposed) answer to getting back in the game.
Oilers are going nowhere as long as Leon continues this bullcrap.
If he wasn't Connors good buddy I'd send him packing ASAP.
Bo Horvat, signed, ++ works for me.
Wow. When the team loses, the fans lose their mind. Boys better start winning again or this place will resemble a mental asylum. Even more than it already does.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Tanev is a pretty legit organizational defensive anchor. Vancouver's D has completely gone to shit without him, and Calgary looks lost anytime they're without him too. If the Oilers had signed him it probably would've changed their D entirely.
Yeah
He is pretty good
All I was saying was that at the time, Barrie was thought of as a decent offensive defender Which wasn’t a horrible idea for us
Obviously it turned out differently

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's his problem that cannot make his teammates better. He is too fast makes his linemates hardly match it in the game.

He can make players better, but you have to have some semblance of hands.

Patrick Maroon was able to work with McDavid not because he was super talented, but he did have for a guy his size a pretty good set of mitts.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
lol what.

Is it a huge stretch to expect McDavid to carry one relative scrub winger at his salary? (Yes, the team was asking him to carry two for the longest time.)

Kane or Hyman on one wing and someone like Kostin, Holloway etc should be a reasonable ask. He carried Maroon and Kassian at times.

When your best player is making the cap of two top line wingers (when the contract was signed $6M would get you a reasonable top 6 player), you need to be able to spread the wealth a bit.

Reactions: Mez and Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Is it a huge stretch to expect McDavid to carry one relative scrub winger at his salary? (Yes, the team was asking him to carry two for the longest time.)

Kane or Hyman on one winger and someone like Kostin, Holloway etc should be a reasonable ask. He carried Maroon and Kassian at times.
When you factor in the 6 scrubs on D then it becomes a different scenario entirely.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Kane or Hyman on one wing and someone like Kostin, Holloway etc should be a reasonable ask. He carried Maroon and Kassian at times.

When your best player is making the cap of two top line wingers (when the contract was signed $6M would get you a reasonable top 6 player), you need to be able to spread the wealth a bit.

Depends on the scrub. Can they actually shoot the puck into an empty net or do they handle the puck like their pants are on fire in that scenario?

Since that basically describes most of the Oilers "support forwards" ... that's where the problem is. The pro scouting (like amateur scouting) is too stupid to understand shot release, poise, etc. are factors.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I like what Debrusk was saying on the radio. He can't say it on tv. He is right. He says the refs, for some reason, are not calling games evenly this year. Oilers are always on the bad end for the most part.

Some of it is also b/c we refuse to work, but in games we even do "dominate" in the other teams end, the refs will call nothing and then call us on a small ticky tack call.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I like what Debrusk was saying on the radio. He can't say it on tv. He is right. He says the refs, for some reason, are not calling games evenly this year. Oilers are always on the bad end for the most part.

Some of it is also b/c we refuse to work, but in games we even do "dominate" in the other teams end, the refs will call nothing and then call us on a small ticky tack call.

Gary’s gotta grow the game so they can have more embarrassments like the Yotes playing in 5000 seat arenas

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World

Again
Cheerleading
Every fan base in the league complains about officiating
Every single one
When the media covering the team starts…..we begin to start looking like the leafs

Reactions: Harry Curry

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I'm glad he called out McIssac by name last night.

McIssac was never really on my radar of shit officials, but he's firmly there now. Maybe even leading the list. He changes his mind after the fact and frankly just doesn't know what the hell he's doing. His last 3 games with the Oilers have been so f***ing bad that I'm not sure how anyone can reasonably claim that he doesn't have some kind of problem with the Oilers.

Blackhawks game - an incredible amount of penalties and I don't even need to get into the Evander Kane goal he called, only for the neutral zone ref to tell him it isn't a goal, then he calls the unsportsmanlike on Kane. Example 1 of getting twisted into changing his mind.

Kings game (I was at this one so I had an intimate view of what he was doing) - Barrie gets pasted from behind, nothing. When Barrie asks him "what the f***" he defiantly points to the other end of the ice to say it was the same as the Hyman hit on Doughty (not even close) then skates away. McDavid gets kneed - better make sure there is no PP for the Oilers. McDavid cross checks Edler with a 5/10 cross check in retalitaiton and he racks him up for it. Nothing like penalizing the best player in the game for getting kneed. Joke.

Last night - doesn't make a call on the ice, but the Islanders fans got loud and then he got scared into changing his mind again.

He f***ing sucks. Even by the low bar of an average NHL official he is far, far below that. I'll patiently wait to see him deep into the playoffs though, because as everyone knows the NHL "rewards" only their best officials based on merit with playoff dates (lol).

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
doubt it.

It easy to be negative and be right as only 1 team wins the cup.

The easiest thing in the world is to be the contrarian especially in sports. Its quite annoying, especially since its usually the same posters and I've been on this board for a long time and under a different name before that, think Zoidberg long and its always been same.

Last few seasons we had some stuff to cheer about, we had some scoring races, making the playoffs the 3 seasons, going deep last year. Yet some people here just want to complain. Truth be told, I have a lot of the old contrarians blocked so I don't see their posts. Im sure the contrarians will say the same thing about people like me, but at least I cheer the team on and don't constantly rip it to pieces.

Season isn't over yet and so many are acting like it is.

Agree with the last thing you bolded, and its certainly easy to be negative as an Oiler fan.

I also think that just because people were right about certain things in the off-season, doesnt mean they were "hoping for this happen". Of course theres exceptions to the rule and some people are exceptionally negative or irrationally positive, but I do think regardless of if your pessimistic or super optimistic, you are always doing so because you want the team to do well.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
That's his problem that cannot make his teammates better. He is too fast makes his linemates hardly match it in the game.
1669323249604.png

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I was just thinking the same about Hyman, guy is always going at 110 p3rcent, but he can't think the game as fast as he plays it.
I think his tendency to go at the net 100% also makes him miss out on better scoring opportunities. That said, hes one of the few that actually consistently attacks so can't really fault him much for that.

scud9

Jun 2, 2006
McDavid is probably the best forward in world but I would expect even more from him. This season at 5-on-5 he is -1 (13-14, corsi and fenwick is basically even), has 5+6 in 20 games, which would be less than 50 points for whole season.

Also Draisaitl has been lacking. 5-on-5 Leon is -3 (16-19, so 1 GA/every game!), corsi and fenwick is 45%, 4+5 for 20 games. The numbers are bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad