Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Owner

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Bobby

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think at this point, Holland may have to swallow his pride and give Chicago or Washington a 2nd round pick + Puljujarvi + maybe even Lavoie on top of that ... to get back a Max Domi or Dylan Strome (so basically they get two free 2nds, the Holland special).

These are players he could have signed for no asset cost in the summer and they are probably both available as Chicago and Washington's playoff hopes are also on ice, probably Domi is more available of the two.

And yes, it is stupid to have to spend picks this way, but this is what happens when you not on the ball in the summer when these players could've just been signed and you could have actually gained a pick for Puljujarvi.

We have to get another top 6 winger. This is going to go off the rails and fall apart like 17-18 season did if that is not done soon. You've seen what the offence looks like trying Puljujarvi, Janmark, Kostin, etc. up there ... it isn't going to work.

You need to get someone for Connor to play with until Kane is back and it needs to be like soon.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
.......We have to get another top 6 winger. This is going to go off the rails and fall apart like 17-18 season did if that is not done soon. You've seen what the offence looks like trying Puljujarvi, Janmark, Kostin, etc. up there ... it isn't going to work.

You need to get someone for Connor to play with until Kane is back and it needs to be like soon.

Leon. When those 2 play together they go supernova. Use your trade bait for a 2LD. We need a 2LD.

Draisaitl McDavid McLeod
Hyman RNH Foegele
Kostin Janmark PJ
Benson Malone McKegg

Shore Ryan are your spare parts.

If and when YamoNoGoal comes back you put him with Hyman and RNH and move Foegele to McKeggs spot.

Reactions: fresh meat

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Leon. When those 2 play together they go supernova. Use your trade bait for a 2LD. We need a 2LD.

Draisaitl McDavid McLeod
Hyman RNH Foegele
Kostin Janmark PJ
Benson Malone McKegg

Shore Ryan are your spare parts.

If and when YamoNoGoal comes back you put him with Hyman and RNH and move Foegele to McKeggs spot.

RNH kinda scares me on that second line, just because everytime we've ever really needed him to carry a line 5 on 5 he's choked at it. So that makes me nervous, but yeah Woodcroft is just being stupid not reuniting the McDrai line at this point.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
RNH kinda scares me on that second line, just because everytime we've ever really needed him to carry a line 5 on 5 he's choked at it. So that makes me nervous, but yeah Woodcroft is just being stupid not reuniting the McDrai line at this point.

Agree with RNH but Hyman will be the line driver on that 2nd unit. 3rd and 4th lines are black holes anyway so might as well give them players that are fit for a forechecking role and see what happens. Cant be worse than what we have now. Derek Ryan should be in the press box for a career 4th line grind guy now not that it solves scoring issues but it might help defensively by keeping the puck in the opposing end more.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Brutal work effort just of late but no panic at the quarter pole.

Lots of time to turn the ship around but it does seem like the players have been uncoachable for most of the last 15 years.
We need 76pts in remaining 62GP just to think about a spot. No guarantees of that either at that amount. So that represents something like 38-24 the rest of the way because we also suck at collecting loser pts and everybody else gets em like candy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Try being a Germany fan on top of that. Worst day of sports for me in years. f***
I try not to let sports effect me too much but when it gets to World Cup it creates national identity fervor as well and with it being every 4yrs feels larger than life. So Germany losing first game virtually sinking their world cup in a span of 10 bad mins of play and Canada losing with an against the grain of play 1 goal game against a disinterested Belgium side. Its a different level of suck. The spectacles of games I watched last night I expected to be haunted by ghosts of the games just watched featuring prominently in nightmare format. Somehow that didn't happen. Blessed relief.

Have to say as well you called it all. I know we don't want to be rightt on these types of things but credit given nonetheless. You had a bead on how it would all go down.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Im not saying a word. I've been taking a beating in these parts. I'm not waving the white flag but I'm calling up draft recruits to the front

Reactions: Harry Curry

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Or the people who sounded the alarm were actually right? I was annoyed at some of the pre-season negativety, especially around our defence but they seem to be right.

Maybe shouting down any criticism of the team this off-season as negativity was a little pre mature.
I actually thought they'd be the second best team in the conference and the best in the division.

Shows what I know.

They can turn it around but the same problems that have persisted with this team forever are still present.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I think at this point, Holland may have to swallow his pride and give Chicago or Washington a 2nd round pick + Puljujarvi + maybe even Lavoie on top of that ... to get back a Max Domi or Dylan Strome (so basically they get two free 2nds, the Holland special).

These are players he could have signed for no asset cost in the summer and they are probably both available as Chicago and Washington's playoff hopes are also on ice, probably Domi is more available of the two.

And yes, it is stupid to have to spend picks this way, but this is what happens when you not on the ball in the summer when these players could've just been signed and you could have actually gained a pick for Puljujarvi.

We have to get another top 6 winger. This is going to go off the rails and fall apart like 17-18 season did if that is not done soon. You've seen what the offence looks like trying Puljujarvi, Janmark, Kostin, etc. up there ... it isn't going to work.

Agree the GM likely needs to make a move or 2. We can discuss or argue the particulars.

It would be nice to ship JP, but his value is rock bottom. His low value has been "showcased" playing with Connor and in the Top 6.

Similar-ish stats as the slumping Tanner Jeannot, I wonder if Kenney Money could do something magical here? 🙏

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Or the people who sounded the alarm were actually right? I was annoyed at some of the pre-season negativety, especially around our defence but they seem to be right.

Maybe shouting down any criticism of the team this off-season as negativity was a little pre mature.
doubt it.

It easy to be negative and be right as only 1 team wins the cup.

The easiest thing in the world is to be the contrarian especially in sports. Its quite annoying, especially since its usually the same posters and I've been on this board for a long time and under a different name before that, think Zoidberg long and its always been same.

Last few seasons we had some stuff to cheer about, we had some scoring races, making the playoffs the 3 seasons, going deep last year. Yet some people here just want to complain. Truth be told, I have a lot of the old contrarians blocked so I don't see their posts. Im sure the contrarians will say the same thing about people like me, but at least I cheer the team on and don't constantly rip it to pieces.

Season isn't over yet and so many are acting like it is.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
hopefully this is use getting our mid season slump out of the way. McDavid is struggling, depth is MIA, and defense is garbo, just like last Jan/Feb. Get through the tougher schedule portion of our season near .500 and then a second half surge. Hopefully.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
seems like its going exactly as wished by some here.
ah yes, the wonderful narrative of oilers suck because people who talked bad about the team wished it so
pointing fingers are everyone except the team and players themselves

or you can just say....we were right?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
doubt it.

The easiest thing in the world is to be the contrarian especially in sports. Its quite annoying, especially since its usually the same posters and I've been on this board for a long time and under a different name before that, think Zoidberg long and its always been same.

Last few seasons we had some stuff to cheer about, we had some scoring races, making the playoffs the 3 seasons, going deep last year. Yet some people here just want to complain. Truth be told, I have a lot of the old contrarians blocked so I don't see their posts. Im sure the contrarians will say the same thing about people like me, but at least I cheer the team on and don't constantly rip it to pieces.

The team has been a trashfire for decades outside of a year or two. They've failed countless times at things other orgs (even the ones we frequently laugh at) succeed at. They can't draft, develop, or scout at even a baseline level. They've won 3 playoff series in the last 16 years. We went an entire decade without a single playoff game and had we not won a lottery back in 2015 I suspect that timeframe is right up until the present day.

McDavid and Draisatl prop up this organization to such an absurd degree that Atlas blushes. Year after year this team is subjected to substandard depth scoring, putrid defense, and laughable goaltending yet those two still manage to drag this carcass to the playoffs... if we're lucky. There's no blue chip prospect coming that's going to save the day. There's no major trade that's going to shake things up because we have the worst GM in the league. We lost 1 top six forward and everything gets shot to hell?

We're 1/4 of the way through a season that comes off a season in which we were in the final 4 (and as more time passes I start to wonder how much of that is a mirage) and we're not even in a playoff spot. We have a worse points percentage than Detroit, Seattle, and the Montreal Canadiens who finished dead last in the league last year.

This is unacceptable. No, the season isn't over yet. This team could still win the Cup if they really wanted to, but I'm not convinced that they do because we're still seeing the same damn problems from this team that have been present for years. Nobody knows what the hell they're doing, least of all our GM, paid more than anyone who visits this board.

I complain because I watched this team come within a game of the Cup and have seen almost nothing but a wasteland since. This organization is, as a certain poster used to put it, "an abject incompetent". They were gifted the best player on the planet and another that's at least in the top 10 and they still can't get out of their own way. Random posters on this board could do a better job than the Oilers brass. Hell, get Ricky, Julian and Bubbles. Better yet, get Cory and Trevor. I've met cats and dogs that are smarter than Oilers brass.

f*** me, if I got paid 5 million dollars a year to fail I'd be the happiest person on the planet. I do it for free!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Because they aren't playing 'as a team'...they've all resorted back to either playing for personal stats or just waiting for McDrai to carry. The only person to consistently play 'hard' is Hyman but he himself is a semi flawed player [ie. tunnel vision]
I was just thinking the same about Hyman, guy is always going at 110 p3rcent, but he can't think the game as fast as he plays it.

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
doubt it.

So you just rip other posters here and categorize them into boxes because thats just better... Seems like "the easiest thing in the world" is to deride other posters.

Myself I look at what this org has been and figure that most any reaction to it is viable and acceptable. We're all made different, cheer differently, comment differently. Its probably OK that we are. Even I would say more interesting that way.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I try not to let sports effect me too much but when it gets to World Cup it creates national identity fervor as well and with it being every 4yrs feels larger than life. So Germany losing first game virtually sinking their world cup in a span of 10 bad mins of play and Canada losing with an against the grain of play 1 goal game against a disinterested Belgium side. Its a different level of suck. The spectacles of games I watched last night I expected to be haunted by ghosts of the games just watched featuring prominently in nightmare format. Somehow that didn't happen. Blessed relief.

Have to say as well you called it all. I know we don't want to be rightt on these types of things but credit given nonetheless. You had a bead on how it would all go down.

The every 4 years thing gives it more weight. Of course, Eurocup (and others for fans of non Euro national teams) is every 4 years between it to fill the gaps a bit but I find it feels different and has typically vastly different results, some teams winning there that wouldn't or don't win the World Cup 2 years before or after. Anyhow, group stage Game 1 feels different when you're cheering for a bubble team (Germany and Canada) than a team that may shrug it off (Germany of 2010, 2014, etc) and rattle off dominant wins after.

The gut knows these things, sometimes. Might be the negativity towards sports imbibed by being an Oilers fan that tipped me off a bit. The gut also feels that these teams may still surprise and pull out of the group stage (and in the Oilers case, into the playoffs after rattling off a season saving winning streak). Hopefully not just indigestion for the positive results :crossfing

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Exactly
Worked so well against Colorado too

It kind of is a "you made your bed, now you can sleep in it" situation. The GM hasn't done his job if the goal here was to build a team that can play defensive hockey.

So like there's not much changing that until the players and probably the GM are changed. No one put a gun to Holland's head and told him to sign Barrie when he could have signed Tanev for the same money.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Exactly
Worked so well against Colorado too
It's starting to become clear that last year's playoff run wasn't the ascension into the league's elite that we thought it was. McDavid and Draisatl bitchslapped the Kings and Flames and then they came up against a real team and got exposed heavily.

The last two times we made it to the second round we missed the playoffs the year after... And the last time was just sheer organizational arrogance.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
It kind of is a "you made your bed, now you can sleep in it" situation. The GM hasn't done his job if the goal here was to build a team that can play defensive hockey.

So like there's not much changing that until the players and probably the GM are changed. No one put a gun to Holland's head and told him to sign Barrie when he could have signed Tanev for the same money.
To be fair
At the time, Tanev/Barrie is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other depending on what you were expecting
I know it’s beating a dead horse but, from the moment it was done, I thought we paid Nurse about 3M too much
We sure could use that room

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad