Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Owner

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Bobby

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Leo’s turnover rate is no different now than it was last season or the season before. Thats how he plays. He's allowed to get away with it because of his point production. Not only permitted by his coaching staff but by much of the fanbase. I am a fan of his skill. And as you know, not a fan of the player. And yes, it’s ok to be an Oiler fan and dislike Leo. We cant win with this player when he plays the way he does. He throws pucks away. Cheats to the offensive side no matter what the situation or score is. Woody has zero chance of fixing that. Yes, a multitude of other issues but this one should not be overlooked or just be discussed because we are on a skid.
Also takes away a lot of pucks. Just sayin.

Reactions: Duke74

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Also takes away a lot of pucks. Just sayin.
And if you believe that, thats fantastic and good for us as a team. Still doesn't buy him an excuse to be a giveaway leader. Many of these giveaways we know of are not in the creative manner. That are no care, no look, I've been out too long, muffins….

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
And if you believe that, thats fantastic and good for us as a team. Still doesn't buy him an excuse to be a giveaway leader. Many of these giveaways we know of are not in the creative manner. That are no care, no look, I've been out too long, muffins….
What do you mean “if”? It’s just a fact. He’s 3rd in the NHL in takeaways.

I never said it justified him being “a giveaway leader” (interestingly McDavid leads btw)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
4th worst in goals against per game.
4th worst PK.
5th most shots against per game.
5th worst GF% at 5v5.
3rd worst Shooting % at 5v5.
6th worst expected GA/60 at 5v5.

Not saying the team doesn't have it in them to rebound somewhat as they did so after the coaching change last year... but the underlying stats don't look promising and it's quite a hole to dig out of as there are multiple issues with the team that have to be addressed.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
What do you mean “if”? It’s just a fact. He’s 3rd in the NHL in takeaways.

I never said it justified him being “a giveaway leader” (interestingly McDavid leads btw)
In terms of giveaways by NHL forwards he is 3rd, 2nd, 2nd over the last 3 seasons. I think thats a good sample size to say he has too many giveaways.

He does well in takeaways, yes. But that doesnt matter. Its something that needs fixing

We have three players in the top 10 early in this season. All wear letters and have a staggering combined salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anarchism

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
I have. The turnovers result from two things: 1) He's clearly still nursing that ankle injury from the playoffs and 2) he's desperately trying to create offence because without him or McDavid creating something, we don't score. If we had a decent bottom six and he was 100% healthy, the turnovers wouldn't be as egregious. I'm not excusing them, but at the same time, trading him for a far worse player that makes only a million less sounds like frustration rather than logic.
Not a far worse player by any means. You also missed the ++ as in add in player(s).
Leon right now is doing more harm than good. Whats the point of scoring 10 goals if you cough it up and the other team scores 11.

Reactions: MessierII

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
In terms of giveaways by NHL forwards he is 3rd, 2nd, 2nd over the last 3 seasons. I think thats a good sample size to say he has too many giveaways.

He does well in takeaways, yes. But that doesnt matter. Its something that needs fixing

We have three players in the top 10 early in this season. All wear letters and have a staggering combined salary.
Okay I agree needs to tighten up on the bad turnovers. I’m just saying he takes away a lot of pucks.

Also usually players who get a lot of assists are going to get a lot of turnovers.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Wanna know the one common thing between those three teams that differs from us? Their D core’s aren’t dog shit!

True, they also don’t have the top end that this team does. The GA have to come down but the offense hasn’t really been there lately. Once it gets back, they’ll outscore the weaker D like last year. Not saying they don’t need an upgrade or two on D

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
This actually makes me mad.
View attachment 612457
ya, it's gross. How can none of our players outside of 5 guys (including Kane) produce anything? None, no one. That's a list of 15 players, and every single one of them is a having a below average to well below average season offensively through the first quarter of the season. It's seems like it should be statistically impossible.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
The team has been a trashfire for decades outside of a year or two. They've failed countless times at things other orgs (even the ones we frequently laugh at) succeed at. They can't draft, develop, or scout at even a baseline level. They've won 3 playoff series in the last 16 years. We went an entire decade without a single playoff game and had we not won a lottery back in 2015 I suspect that timeframe is right up until the present day.

McDavid and Draisatl prop up this organization to such an absurd degree that Atlas blushes. Year after year this team is subjected to substandard depth scoring, putrid defense, and laughable goaltending yet those two still manage to drag this carcass to the playoffs... if we're lucky. There's no blue chip prospect coming that's going to save the day. There's no major trade that's going to shake things up because we have the worst GM in the league. We lost 1 top six forward and everything gets shot to hell?

We're 1/4 of the way through a season that comes off a season in which we were in the final 4 (and as more time passes I start to wonder how much of that is a mirage) and we're not even in a playoff spot. We have a worse points percentage than Detroit, Seattle, and the Montreal Canadiens who finished dead last in the league last year.

This is unacceptable. No, the season isn't over yet. This team could still win the Cup if they really wanted to, but I'm not convinced that they do because we're still seeing the same damn problems from this team that have been present for years. Nobody knows what the hell they're doing, least of all our GM, paid more than anyone who visits this board.

I complain because I watched this team come within a game of the Cup and have seen almost nothing but a wasteland since. This organization is, as a certain poster used to put it, "an abject incompetent". They were gifted the best player on the planet and another that's at least in the top 10 and they still can't get out of their own way. Random posters on this board could do a better job than the Oilers brass. Hell, get Ricky, Julian and Bubbles. Better yet, get Cory and Trevor. I've met cats and dogs that are smarter than Oilers brass.

f*** me, if I got paid 5 million dollars a year to fail I'd be the happiest person on the planet. I do it for free!
This rant is so full of contradictions it's hard to take it seriously. Worst GM in the league and an org. with no competency was 6 months ago a league darling who built thru the draft and had all key players in their prime & locked up long term.
Best part is that you essentially summarize the current team could win the Cup, it's only that they don't want to.

> "team has been a trashfire for decades outside of a year or two"
> "They can't draft, develop, or scout at even a baseline level"

Yet: "McDavid and Draisatl prop up this organization to such an absurd degree"
Both having been scouted, drafted, & developed by this org.
Add to that RNH, Darnell Nurse, Tyler Benson, Markus Niemelainen, Kailer Yamamoto, Stuart Skinner, Evan Bouchard, Ryan McLeod, Philip Broberg, and Dylan Holloway

> "substandard depth scoring, putrid defense, and laughable goaltending"
Yet: "This team could still win the Cup if they really wanted to"

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This rant is so full of contradictions it's hard to take it seriously. Worst GM in the league and an org. with no competency was 6 months ago a league darling who built thru the draft and had all key players in their prime & locked up long term.
Best part is that you essentially summarize the current team could win the Cup, it's only that they don't want to.

Add to that RNH, Darnell Nurse, Tyler Benson, Markus Niemelainen, Kailer Yamamoto, Stuart Skinner, Evan Bouchard, Ryan McLeod, Philip Broberg, and Dylan Holloway

I’ll give you Drai on scouted and developed but McDavi? Lol come on.

Love Nuge but he didn’t hit his draft expectations. Benson and Niemo are extra skater quality, Holloway and Broberg have done absolutely nothing yet. McLeod is fine and Skinner looks good. But oh wow what, 3 players turned out!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

You're talking about a team that has "built through the draft" by continually finishing near the bottom of the league. I noticed you didn't count Yakupov, Puljujaarvi, or the dozens of other wasted draft picks on players that never went anywhere for this team. The players we've drafted post-McDavid have combined for four goals this season and three are from McLeod.

RNH and Darnell Nurse are good players but not franchise-changing talents that McDavid and Draisatl are, and damn if the org didn't try and ruin the latter. Benson/Niemelainen are benchwarmers. Broberg isn't making any tangible progress and Holloway looks far from an NHLer currently.

McDavid and Draisatl willed this team to the WCF, and then the team problems (depth scoring, defense, goaltending) were all promptly exposed by Colorado.

When I said "this team could win the Cup if they really wanted to", I mean by making smart, savvy decisions. As of right now, this team is outside the picture, and as far as I know, no team has ever won the Cup when they don't make the playoffs.

Colorado won the Cup last year because they galvanized their team over the years with savvy drafting and deals. Toews for a pair of seconds might be one of the best trades the league has seen in years. They picked up a Nichusckin seen as useless by other teams and now he's a legit star. Tampa has oodles of great draft choices. Man just imagine if we could ever land a Brayden Point in the third round or a Palat in the 7th. Hell they took a goalie in the first round (which some around here are deeply opposed to) and now he's one of the top 3 goalies in the entire league.

For every RNH and Nurse there's a Yakupov, a Plante, a Pajaarvi, etc etc etc. If you think this team drafts well I have several bridges to sell you.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
You're talking about a team that has "built through the draft" by continually finishing near the bottom of the league. I noticed you didn't count Yakupov, Puljujaarvi, or the dozens of other wasted draft picks on players that never went anywhere for this team. The players we've drafted post-McDavid have combined for four goals this season and three are from McLeod.

RNH and Darnell Nurse are good players but not franchise-changing talents that McDavid and Draisatl are, and damn if the org didn't try and ruin the latter. Benson/Niemelainen are benchwarmers. Broberg isn't making any tangible progress and Holloway looks far from an NHLer currently.

McDavid and Draisatl willed this team to the WCF, and then the team problems (depth scoring, defense, goaltending) were all promptly exposed by Colorado.

When I said "this team could win the Cup if they really wanted to", I mean by making smart, savvy decisions. As of right now, this team is outside the picture, and as far as I know, no team has ever won the Cup when they don't make the playoffs.

Colorado won the Cup last year because they galvanized their team over the years with savvy drafting and deals. Toews for a pair of seconds might be one of the best trades the league has seen in years. They picked up a Nichusckin seen as useless by other teams and now he's a legit star. Tampa has oodles of great draft choices. Man just imagine if we could ever land a Brayden Point in the third round or a Palat in the 7th. Hell they took a goalie in the first round (which some around here are deeply opposed to) and now he's one of the top 3 goalies in the entire league.

For every RNH and Nurse there's a Yakupov, a Plante, a Pajaarvi, etc etc etc. If you think this team drafts well I have several bridges to sell you.
Your statement: > "They can't draft, develop, or scout at even a baseline level"
You make a wide-sweeping criticism, then cherry pick only drafting. One doesn't need to claim they draft well to counter your contradictory logic. Only that they draft, develop, and scout above "a baseline level", which the Oilers do.

I provided a list of 12 active Oilers NHL roster players scouted, drafted, and developed by a Team that's made playoffs 4/6 previous seasons, 3/3 previous seasons, and coming off a 3rd round exit.
Why would I list 2 or 3 misses to the 12-14 hits? So no it's not 1:1 "for every RNH, there's a Yak". 2012 draft was trash, first 4 picks all misses and 18 GM's missed to pick Vasi.
Going back to 2009 Pääjärvi reeks of desperation and some emotional damage mate. For that we are here for you 🙏

Quite simply I disagree with you and you're demonstrably wrong. Your comment here does nothing to convince me otherwise.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I’ll give you Drai on scouted and developed but McDavi? Lol come on.

Love Nuge but he didn’t hit his draft expectations. Benson and Niemo are extra skater quality, Holloway and Broberg have done absolutely nothing yet. McLeod is fine and Skinner looks good. But oh wow what, 3 players turned out!
Sees you expect every 1st rounder to be a home run.
I consider being an active roster player on a > .500 playoff NHL team a hit.

we are not the same. 💁‍♂️

RNH running 22P in 21 GP rn and career .75 PPG coming up on 750 NHL Games and a literal NHL All Star is fine for me : #keepnugeforever crew checking in !

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Your statement: > "They can't draft, develop, or scout at even a baseline level"
You make a wide-sweeping criticism, then cherry pick only drafting. One doesn't need to claim they draft well to counter your contradictory logic. Only that they draft, develop, and scout above "a baseline level", which the Oilers do.

I provided a list of 12 active Oilers NHL roster players scouted, drafted, and developed by a Team that's made playoffs 4/6 previous seasons, 3/3 previous seasons, and coming off a 3rd round exit.
Why would I list 2 or 3 misses to the 12-14 hits? So no it's not 1:1 "for every RNH, there's a Yak". 2012 draft was trash, first 4 picks all misses and 18 GM's missed to pick Vasi.
Going back to 2009 Pääjärvi reeks of desperation and some emotional damage mate. For that we are here for you 🙏

Quite simply I disagree with you and you're demonstrably wrong. Your comment here does nothing to convince me otherwise.
Sssh stick to the script

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad