News Article: “Bruins Have A Logjam on Defense”

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I don't see Moore being the odd man out. He hasn't played since surgery, so it's a tough pill for any team to swallow in a trade unless the cost is so minimal that you'd be willing to take the risk. I just don't see that being the case here. I could see Gryz being the one traded if a trade is made - has value, cheap and cost controlled for a good while yet. He's been putting together some very good hockey, some very flashy hockey too.

The other option I could see happening is Clifton sent through waivers. There's significant risk there of him being scooped up though.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
At this point, is the expansion draft a consideration?
No.

If it was this summer, obviously your approach is different, but with it being in June of 2021, I don't think making in season moves based on that, is prudent.

I will say, keeping Moore would definitely be desirable for the expansion draft, but that's pretty far down the line in terms of my roster building currently.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't see Moore being the odd man out. He hasn't played since surgery, so it's a tough pill for any team to swallow in a trade unless the cost is so minimal that you'd be willing to take the risk. I just don't see that being the case here. I could see Gryz being the one traded if a trade is made - has value, cheap and cost controlled for a good while yet. He's been putting together some very good hockey, some very flashy hockey too.

The other option I could see happening is Clifton sent through waivers. There's significant risk there of him being scooped up though.
Clifton likely isn't going anywhere, waiver wire or not

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
totally disagree, Providence has been, a model, of how an organization is utilized, at least under the Sweeney era of management, which has been mentioned frequently by Bruins media, notably Andy Brickley, how many forwards and D, since Sweeney started overseeing Providence, that those players can step immediately into the roles that need to be filled, it's working, no matter if it's been Kevin Dean, or even Cassidy in Providence when Julien was here.

Of course, but that is for the Bruins to do with stocking the team with draft picks and select free agent signings. That will always be a limited player pool because of contract limits etc. though, so they have to fill out the roster themselves. I thought you were talking about what they do if they find themselves short of non-Bruin contracted players. If/when that happens there are lots of players each year that are good enough to sign on AHL deals.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Clifton would 100% be claimed.

If they were going to send him down while trying to figure out the current roster situation, they would've done it before the 60 game exemption.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

Miller and Moore will be on waivers before Clifton ever does, he has surpassed both with his play and is a cheaper and younger player.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Acquiring Fischer for Miller is not meant as a way to fill the #2 RW hole but rather to take advantage of whatever trade value Miller has (his final season before becoming UFA) and, in doing so, get a player who helps to fill an organizational gap (right-shot RW). Trading Miller also helps to reduce the D logjam in Boston.

There are rumors that Arizona may make a play for Taylor Hall. That would shore up the team's offense. Having Miller on the Coyotes would also strengthen the team.

OK, I get that reasoning for the trade from Boston's standpoint. But, in this scenario, you're relying on them landing Hall to make this trade a possibility. I don't see the Coyotes giving up a young offensive (limited though he may be) piece for a rental D man coming off a troublesome injury (for an injury-prone player), and a mid draft pick. And does Miller really make Arizona's D better? Maybe. But there's a strong possibility he doesn't.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You are probably right, and I forgot about Kampfer too.

easy to forget about him but I will be honest, I appreciate how Kampfer has carried himself. Seems to be a guy who knows that on the majority of nights, he`ll be watching from upstairs but continues to work very hard and when he`s called upon, for a guy sitting as much as he does, he typically doesn`t hurt the team. Not an easy role for a player to accept but he has and done so with class IMO

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
The Bruins made it to game seven of the SCF without Miller. In addition, Boston failed to win because the team's first line, along with Debrusk and Krejci, failed to show up. Not having Miller in the lineup was, in my opinion, irrelevant. He's expendable.

There were times the larger Blues players were literally laughing at the smaller Bruins saying they were F'd and there's nothing they could do about it.
Miller or not, I feel it's relevant to at least consider some size in planning for this season playoffs.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Clifton would 100% be claimed.

Oh yeah- a young d-man under contract for this season plus 2 more at $1 mil per year who is a third pair guy on one of the league's strongest D corps? I cannot imagine there aren't at least a few clubs out of 30 that would snap him up.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Still amazes me how people watched the Blues hammer the Bruins in the finals and still deny it was a factor in the Blues winning. Not saying it was the only one but it was absolutely one reason. So what do some want to do? Move one of the bigger, tougher defensemen they have to hold onto Kampfer or just to dump Miller for a fourth round pick. Kevan Miller should play every game he is healthy in Boston for the rest of his contract. Moore and Kampfer are both redundant

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
They are at 23/23 contracts with Moore activated.

Ritchie and Kuhlman on IR, Senyshyn and Miller on LTIR.

Assuming Kuhlman and Senyshyn are sent back to Providence

Waive/trade two of the following:

Defense:
Miller
Moore
Kampfer

Forwards:
Ritchie
Lindholm

Assuming no trades, I think Kampfer and Lindholm are the odd-men out. I doubt either are claimed. Lindholm does nothing for me.

The only thing that gives me pause regarding the D situation is Miller's reliability. I don't see how they reasonably can expect to get anything out of him at this point. I'd be very cautious planning my roster around his return.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Miller has more value to Boston

I’m sticking him in bubble rap

DKH GM

1. who can be here in 2-3 years and you want

McAvoy
Carlo
Vaakanainen
Grzelcyk
Clifton

you a in phenomenal shape

I work back from that

Chara - not trading

Krug - not trading trying to sign

Miller - one year left not trading more value to you

Moore - is Krug staying or going

most likely part to move is Moore

Agreed, I don't think Miller has any value to other teams at this point. If he comes back, plays, looks like the same player he was (not likely) maybe someone would give up a late pick.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed, I don't think Miller has any value to other teams at this point. If he comes back, plays, looks like the same player he was (not likely) maybe someone would give up a late pick.
I would absolutely hold on to him. His last year and in my world he’s a solid hard nosed leader and player.

He’s a beast - I want to get bigger and tougher. It’s why I want Anderson

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

With how the team is performing, if no one is willing to trade for him, of the players the Bruins have, they could waive him or package him with a mid pick for a late pick, if shedding a contract/salary is the issue.

Nothing against Moore, but in terms of odd man out, the B's have survived without him, and I don't see him as a core player of any sort to disrupt what they have going for them. Try to find a trade or waive him if necessary.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I would absolutely hold on to him. His last year and in my world he’s a solid hard nosed leader and player.

He’s a beast - I want to get bigger and tougher. It’s why I want Anderson
If you lose Miller, you lose a lot of backbone.

You're going to see guys target Pastrnak more and more now, and the Bruins have absolutely no one on the roster outside of possibly Chara that will make a statement. Unless you want a guy to go after the guy who targets Pastrnak to get his ass kicked, then you probably go with the same roster we have now.

Krug & Gryz got absolutely bounced around last year in the corners basically every time they entered them. The Bruins don't really have any guy who will punish them, Miller is one of those guys.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Trading Krug makes absolutely zero sense for the way this team is constructed.

If he leaves as UFA, he leaves, but trading him during the season, a season where you're a legitimate Cup favorite, is just...dumb. Krug is the type of player Cup contenders trade FOR, not away. Especially to keep guys like John Moore or Kevan Miller.

Trading Krug will get you an offensive threat - it isn't dumb to fill a need and it keeps the bruins in a cup contender position / maybe improving their position. Bruins have the D prospect pool so we shouldn't be worried losing Krug will diminish the team D but adding a top end forward will only help the bruins win the cup.

IMO I simply can't see how the team can retain Krug after this season - so get out there a find a young promising forward that can play top 6.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If you lose Miller, you lose a lot of backbone.

You're going to see guys target Pastrnak more and more now, and the Bruins have absolutely no one on the roster outside of possibly Chara that will make a statement. Unless you want a guy to go after the guy who targets Pastrnak to get his ass kicked, then you probably go with the same roster we have now.

Krug & Gryz got absolutely bounced around last year in the corners basically every time they entered them. The Bruins don't really have any guy who will punish them, Miller is one of those guys.
disagree, what did Pastrnak do the last couple games, especially after the Brendan Gallagher carlinesque routine, Pasta isn't afraid to be physical if needed

Reactions: StrBender

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The Bruins made it to game seven of the SCF without Miller. In addition, Boston failed to win because the team's first line, along with Debrusk and Krejci, failed to show up. Not having Miller in the lineup was, in my opinion, irrelevant. He's expendable.

This is another reason why I think trading Krug for that 2nd line winger is critical.

I hate losing Krug but I'm realistic knowing he can't be resigned and the opportunity to land that elusive 2nd winger is now.

The bruins awesome D depth allows this to happen.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Still amazes me how people watched the Blues hammer the Bruins in the finals and still deny it was a factor in the Blues winning. Not saying it was the only one but it was absolutely one reason. So what do some want to do? Move one of the bigger, tougher defensemen they have to hold onto Kampfer or just to dump Miller for a fourth round pick. Kevan Miller should play every game he is healthy in Boston for the rest of his contract. Moore and Kampfer are both redundant

If the B's top line is healthy going into the finals, they sweep St Louis. I love Miller as much as the next guy.........more than most even...........but his absence had VERY little to do with them losing.

Health and the officiating in Game 5 were FAR FAR bigger factors.

Reactions: Estlin

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Trading Krug will get you an offensive threat - it isn't dumb to fill a need and it keeps the bruins in a cup contender position / maybe improving their position. Bruins have the D prospect pool so we shouldn't be worried losing Krug will diminish the team D but adding a top end forward will only help the bruins win the cup.

IMO I simply can't see how the team can retain Krug after this season - so get out there a find a young promising forward that can play top 6.
Show me a team that's going to deal a 2RW for impending UFA Krug.

Reactions: wintersej

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
They are at 23/23 contracts with Moore activated.

Ritchie and Kuhlman on IR, Senyshyn and Miller on LTIR.

Assuming Kuhlman and Senyshyn are sent back to Providence

Waive/trade two of the following:

Defense:
Miller
Moore
Kampfer

Forwards:
Ritchie
Lindholm

Assuming no trades, I think Kampfer and Lindholm are the odd-men out. I doubt either are claimed. Lindholm does nothing for me.

The only thing that gives me pause regarding the D situation is Miller's reliability. I don't see how they reasonably can expect to get anything out of him at this point. I'd be very cautious planning my roster around his return.

I don't see the team moving Moore - I maintain great value contract. If he's traded that would be the reason. Such a smart signing by Don.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad