News Article: “Bruins Have A Logjam on Defense”

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Very hard to judge everyone’s value to other teams. I think everyone gets picked up off waivers Moore Miller at their caps hits are solid value assuming they aren’t going to fail a physical.

Chara is still solid and will earn the Iginla bonuses that kill us next year and it’s debatable if Carlo might end up better than McAvoy.

Gryzlyks upcoming new contract might be as tricky as Krug.

These problems aren’t really problems IMO.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Very hard to judge everyone’s value to other teams. I think everyone gets picked up off waivers Moore Miller at their caps hits are solid value assuming they aren’t going to fail a physical.

Chara is still solid and will earn the Iginla bonuses that kill us next year and it’s debatable if Carlo might end up better than McAvoy.

Gryzlyks upcoming new contract might be as tricky as Krug.

These problems aren’t really problems IMO.
One of my favorite saying is "A good problem to have is still ultimately still a problem."

Reactions: Strafer and Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Something is going to give here, and soon. With a healthy roster they now have 24 non-waiver exempt players with Clifton passing his waiver milestone. 9 D-men, 13 F, and 2 G.

Don't look now, but Anders Bjork is 10 games away from losing his waiver exemption. 10 games if he plays them all it December 23. And there is a trade freeze starting before then.

If they ever get a healthy roster, they'll need to shed one body at least via trade or waivers. Two bodies if they want to keep Bjork around. He's 9th on this team in goals ahead of a lot of other guys, including Krug.

For me it's easy. I trade Moore for whatever I can get and waive Lindholm unless someone fool GM wants him.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's a tough call but no matter what the Bruins decide to do, four defensemen will get hurt immediately afterwards.

Can't we just fake an injury to Chara for a month and get him some rest?

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I hope those knee injuries don't end up costing Miller speed/agility etc. Breaking your patella twice, in two different directions, just sounds awful.

Of course, if he is slowed down, it probably makes the decision as to who to move easier. He'd be less valuable in the trade market, but i'm sure at least one team out there would be willing to take on his expiring contract. Leadership, toughness etc.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
we have options...

looking ahead I wanted to end up with a big three of
mcavoy
carlo
krug

then I want to build around them...
I see vaakainen as the future parter for mcavoy
im ok with either grzelyck or moore holding that spot until vaakainen is ready... not both... 1 of these 2 can go

I am going to hope chara continues to mentor carlo… krug could slide in here if chara needs a rest... down the road id like to see lauzon or zboril slide in... it seems to all fit together here and rounds out our top 4 in good fashion

either krug or chara ends up in the bottom pair... and Clifton for me is my defacto right shot until someone else cheap comes along. cheap is the operative word... affordable... we have to watch the budget somewhere.

leaves miller as the odd man out... too expensive to comfortably fit into the bottom pair. not good enough to play top 4 for us ahead of carlo. on an expiring contract.

leaves one of moore/grzelyck as an odd man out... I suppose we could use one of these guys as the 7th dman but it doesnt make sense for the budget. I might just choose to trade the one that gets me the best return because I think keeping either guy will be good enough

it kind of is a good problem to have because theres a need for dmen around the league. we should get a decent return for miller {minimum 3rd but im betting we might get a second} and if we do trade grzelyck I think he could help land a scoring winger

Reactions: Strafer

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Trade Miller, once cleared for play, to Arizona, which needs a bottom-pairing D with toughness. Add a low-round pick and get RW right-shot Christian Fischer in return.
Why would either team do that? I get the B's need to shed at least one defenseman, but trading him for a guy who doesn't fill your hole on 2RW isn't how they need to do it. Fischer is young, but doesn't fit the mold of a bruins player either. Below average corsi numbers, not a scorer, and an average (maybe a tad above, but not massively so) skater. he is a big body, and I guess the bruins could use him - I just don't think he's the right fit for the Bruins. On the flip side, why would the Coyotes trade away any offense, for a defensive D man, even if he does bring some snarl (which they could honestly use). The Coyotes are bottom third in scoring, and need to ADD offense, not take it away.

I don't mind trading Miller (though he's a great team guy), I just don't see Fischer being the guy the Bruins might be interested in. Now, you want to slide in Conor Garland, I'd listen. Looks to ave more offensive upside that Fischer, and is a better skater. I'd make that trade for sure. Almost certainly cost a bit more, and Arizona unlikely to do it for the same reasons I made above, but worth it if they could swing it. I think he'd do well with Krejci and Debrusk (once Bergy is healthy).

One other reason I don't see either of these trades happening is that the Coyotes are playing winning hockey, and Chayka seems intent on only doing deals that have a solid impact this season. I don't think moving either of those forwards does that for their team. plus, the Cototes are still finishing rebuilding, and trading a young cost-controlled guy for an older pending UFA isn't good asset management on their part.

Last edited:

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Something is going to give here, and soon. With a healthy roster they now have 24 non-waiver exempt players with Clifton passing his waiver milestone. 9 D-men, 13 F, and 2 G.

Don't look now, but Anders Bjork is 10 games away from losing his waiver exemption. 10 games if he plays them all it December 23. And there is a trade freeze starting before then.

If they ever get a healthy roster, they'll need to shed one body at least via trade or waivers. Two bodies if they want to keep Bjork around. He's 9th on this team in goals ahead of a lot of other guys, including Krug.

For me it's easy. I trade Moore for whatever I can get and waive Lindholm unless someone fool GM wants him.
If anyone is to be reluctantly waived, Kampfer has to be the guy. Very low risk that he gets picked up due to having another year on his contract.

I do agree that Moore is likely the odd man out if anyone is to be traded. Doubt they'd want to move Miller unless they absolutely have to, when healthy he brings things to the table that our other D are lacking which I think Sweeney and Cassidy appreciate.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I think Miller gets moved for something like a 4th rd. pick.
I rather keep him. I know that’s his value but I’ll keep him. Your not getting a top 6 forward for Miller and Kuhlman in a package deal. They are good players but not for an ESTABLISHED top 6 forward. IMO

Reactions: Ladyfan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If anyone is to be reluctantly waived, Kampfer has to be the guy. Very low risk that he gets picked up due to having another year on his contract.

I do agree that Moore is likely the odd man out if anyone is to be traded. Doubt they'd want to move Miller unless they absolutely have to, when healthy he brings things to the table that our other D are lacking which I think Sweeney and Cassidy appreciate.

IDK, I think we'd be surprised at interest in Kampfer. Right-shot guy, veteran player, his contract is so low that the other year is inconsequential really, at his AAV it's either him or another player making roughly the same salary taking up a roster spot. I think there is a respect around the league for the Bruins defensive play at they are gaining a rep as a bit of a D-man factory IMO. Other teams can see what they've done and are doing when it comes to developing quality D-men.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I rather keep him. I know that’s his value but I’ll keep him. Your not getting a top 6 forward for Miller and Kuhlman in a package deal. They are good players but not for an ESTABLISHED top 6 forward. IMO
I agree , it was not me that proposed that deal, but I would certainly do it if it were on the table. As for Miller, with the two knee injuries just not sure he can play the way he once did, so if we can move him out I am ok with it and I think Clifton does provide an element of physical hockey as well.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Miller has more value to Boston

I’m sticking him in bubble rap

DKH GM

1. who can be here in 2-3 years and you want

McAvoy
Carlo
Vaakanainen
Grzelcyk
Clifton

you a in phenomenal shape

I work back from that

Chara - not trading

Krug - not trading trying to sign

Miller - one year left not trading more value to you

Moore - is Krug staying or going

most likely part to move is Moore

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
IDK, I think we'd be surprised at interest in Kampfer. Right-shot guy, veteran player, his contract is so low that the other year is inconsequential really, at his AAV it's either him or another player making roughly the same salary taking up a roster spot. I think there is a respect around the league for the Bruins defensive play at they are gaining a rep as a bit of a D-man factory IMO. Other teams can see what they've done and are doing when it comes to developing quality D-men.
I’ll move Kampfer . How much money does it clear up.. I thought one million. Not sure though.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’ll move Kampfer . How much money does it clear up.. I thought one million. Not sure though.

None really. Bruins when completely healthy are at 24 guys who require waivers, so someone is going but they'll still be at 23 players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->