News Article: “Bruins Have A Logjam on Defense”

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Trading Krug will get you an offensive threat - it isn't dumb to fill a need and it keeps the bruins in a cup contender position / maybe improving their position. Bruins have the D prospect pool so we shouldn't be worried losing Krug will diminish the team D but adding a top end forward will only help the bruins win the cup.

IMO I simply can't see how the team can retain Krug after this season - so get out there a find a young promising forward that can play top 6.

You also LOSE a lot of offense if you trade Krug. Not one other Dman does what he does currently in terms of generating offense. McAvoy and Gryz have potential, but they aren't there yet (and likely won't be this season or possibly ever).

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You also LOSE a lot of offense if you trade Krug. Not one other Dman does what he does currently in terms of generating offense. McAvoy and Gryz have potential, but they aren't there yet (and likely won't be this season or possibly ever).

I see Gryz and McAvoy replacing Krug - IMO they have reached this potential. Clifton has the potential.

Krug was hurt and the team didn't miss a beat. Why? Depth at D.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
But you didn't?!? I literally used an almost exact comp. As exact as you can get given the various human-element variables involved.

My position is pretty simple.

The D is an obvious position of strength for the team. The offence needs work - this was pretty clear last year playoffs and continues to be an area they can approve this year. I've been pretty clear on this.

Your Bergeron snide remark was simply that. Completely irrelevant.

Reactions: sleepyh and Strafer

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
As overrated as Heinen is Krug is underrated. Krug signs here for 7 years 45M. He McAvoy and Carlo are protected in expansion draft in 2 years. Vaak dealt at draft before expansion draft as he will be looked at as too valuable to just let go to Seattle, Grizz to Seattle.
Carlo, McAvoy, Krug, Lauzon, Clifton top 5 in 3 years.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

The D is an obvious position of strength for the team. The offence needs work - this was pretty clear last year playoffs and continues to be an area they can approve this year. I've been pretty clear on this.

Now see? Nobody disagrees with that. It's when you get a bit off the reservation and say things like

Krug was hurt and the team didn't miss a beat.

that you invite challenges like mine. That one point is what I am disagreeing with because there are too many other factors at play. As I alluded to, the Bruins are something like 6-0-1 without Bergy this season. Does that mean they would not "miss a beat" without him down the road and in the playoffs? Certainly not. Just like Krug. Guys like McAvoy, Clifton and Gryz could potentially step up and replace Krug's offense down the road, but it's simply not true to state that they are his equivalent TODAY.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Miller has more value to Boston

I’m sticking him in bubble rap

DKH GM

1. who can be here in 2-3 years and you want

McAvoy
Carlo
Vaakanainen
Grzelcyk
Clifton

you a in phenomenal shape

I work back from that

Chara - not trading

Krug - not trading trying to sign

Miller - one year left not trading more value to you

Moore - is Krug staying or going

most likely part to move is Moore
thats my thinking. they are showcasing him starting tonite

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I agree, I like seeing that from him from time to time. I don't however like seeing him in the box, or getting his **** kicked in.
Well this is a WAY bigger problem than Miller could handle anyway. If you look at the history of guys like Pasta (IMO Gretzky is one example) they have guys like Semenko to protect them. The Bruins need 2 tough forwards, preferably one of which needs to be a goal scoring RW right hand shot. The only one that I can see right now remotely possible in a trade would be Anderson. I don't know enough about what is available in the AHL etc that other teams have but I'd bet the pickin's are slim. Miller is one step forward, 5 steps back. He's constantly on the shelf and even when he does play he has to be cognizant of his shoulder injuries etc. IMO he's 80% finished and they know it. I would love it if he weren't so injury prone but he is what he is and expecting anything from him at this point is wishful thinking.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
They are at 23/23 contracts with Moore activated.

Ritchie and Kuhlman on IR, Senyshyn and Miller on LTIR.

Assuming Kuhlman and Senyshyn are sent back to Providence

Waive/trade two of the following:

Defense:
Miller
Moore
Kampfer

Forwards:
Ritchie
Lindholm

Assuming no trades, I think Kampfer and Lindholm are the odd-men out. I doubt either are claimed. Lindholm does nothing for me.

The only thing that gives me pause regarding the D situation is Miller's reliability. I don't see how they reasonably can expect to get anything out of him at this point. I'd be very cautious planning my roster around his return.
I can't find a single thing here to disagree with.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
This is another reason why I think trading Krug for that 2nd line winger is critical.

I hate losing Krug but I'm realistic knowing he can't be resigned and the opportunity to land that elusive 2nd winger is now.

The bruins awesome D depth allows this to happen.
I have done a complete 180 on Krug. I think he's basically untouchable (but not completely - there's always a package some dumb GM will offer), based on what he brings to the offensive side of the table. There are few in the NHL and none in the Bruins system that come close to providing that dynamic aspect.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
A team that can afford to sign him before season end.
And which team would that be? One that has the 2RW that a) the Bruins feel is worth losing Krug for, and b) the other team is willing to part with. It's easy to say it's a team who can sign him. It's a lot harder to actually come up with the name of a team who can, and would consider, making such a deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Your Bergeron snide remark was simply that. Completely irrelevant.
A) It wasn't snide.
B) It was a valid comparison, based on the argument you made about the team doing well while Krug was hurt. The team is also doing well with Bergeron hurt. It's completely relevant.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I have done a complete 180 on Krug. I think he's basically untouchable (but not completely - there's always a package some dumb GM will offer), based on what he brings to the offensive side of the table. There are few in the NHL and none in the Bruins system that come close to providing that dynamic aspect.
Not untouchable but it will take a lot to get him. If not , sign him and move him down the line. The best option is signing him.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

On the power play yes, but krug is currently tied for 3rd in even strength points among bruins defenders. He hasn’t been getting it done offensively in even strength situations. When you Consider the amount of offensive opportunities he gets that number needs to be much higher.

also as it currently stands Bruins goalies have the worst Save percentage among all bruins defenders with krug on the ice and it’s not like krug is facing opponents top lines. He currently ranks 4th among defenders on the bruins in quality of competition played against.

Reactions: Blowfish

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
On the power play yes, but krug is currently tied for 3rd in even strength points among bruins defenders. He hasn’t been getting it done offensively in even strength situations. When you Consider the amount of offensive opportunities he gets that number needs to be much higher.

also as it currently stands Bruins goalies have the worst Save percentage among all bruins defenders with krug on the ice and it’s not like krug is facing opponents top lines. He currently ranks 4th among defenders on the bruins in quality of competition played against.

Link? Not because I don't trust you. I just want to see how close/far apart the numbers really are. Plus it's still very early in the season and, between that and all the injuries and roster juggling, there's a significant sample-size issue.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
They won't move Moore until they see how he does post surgery. He won't get moved until the draft at the earliest. Bruins seem to really like him and now that he has had a year in the system, I think he's going to show what he's truly made of.

Also, you can't have enough depth down the stretch run into the playoffs.

In all honesty, I don't think this "log jam" is cleared up until the draft.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Kevan Miller does not return this season and hangs them up. I have no inside info but it is telling that there have been no updates since he suffered some sort of setback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->